drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » utilizing stereo separation...
Go to the bottom of this page utilizing stereo separation...
Author
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I'm trying to get better with my stereo work... if anyone has any tricks or tips besides keeping everything below 300hz mono, I'm definetly interested... tutorials or web references are welcome as well...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
06-10-2008 07:34 Homepage of J.Rabbit
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

so many good tips here, not sure if you have this one, but its defo one of my favs.

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/mixing-m...ing-tips-p1.htm
07-10-2008 09:36
void
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-10-2008

I'm new to this but what's been working for me is to just use the spectrum analyzer to see which sounds are hitting the same frequency range at around the same volume, and then pan one of them left 10% and the other to the right 10% or vice versa. I try panning them in both directions first to see which way it sounds better.

If there there are more then 2 sounds hitting the same frequency range at around the same volume and I want to accent each one of them to bring them out more, then I just don't pan them equally. For instance I might pan one 10% to the left, another anywhere between 5-15% to the right or left, and the third 10% to the right, or whatever sounds good ..

After all this I watch levels of both the left and right channel on my master out in the mixer. If the left and right channels are not even I adjust the panning on one of the sounds that's hitting in the mid frequencies (somewhere between 500 - 3000) to even it out so both the left and right channel on the master out are at equal volume.

Next I put in an insert on the master out that has stereo seperation capabilities. Maximus works pretty well. I add a little saturation on the mid and apply some stereo seperation to widen it a little bit. It comes out sounding pretty good usually.

Stereo seperation effects usually work by subtracting the left and right channel from each other. It's like this, if I'm not mistaken

L = left channel
R = right channel
L = L - (R * seperation percent)
R = L - (L * seperation percent)

If I want more control as far as panning only certain frequencies on a single sound then I route that sound into 2 tracks in my mixer then pan one all the way to the left and the other all the way to the right. Then I stick a parametric eq insert in each of them and boost or lower the mid range on each of them independantly. So like I may drop -1db at 1000 on the left channel and raise it 1db at 1000 on the right channel so as to keep the entire range of the sound while still distributing it through the stereo field. There's a ton of other stuff you can do as well if you seperate the left and right channels into two seperate tracks like this. Your ears usually perceive lateral direction (from left to right) because the sound waves hit one ear before another. So having said that, adding a slight delay on the right (between 0.01ms and 0.65ms) will cause your brain to intepret the sound as coming from the left since it's hitting that ear slightly sooner then the right. You can even do 3d panning with a few LFOs on delays, eqs, and volumes, if you take attenuation, the pinna, and sound dampening + reflection into account, although that gets pretty complicated.

oh .. and here's a pretty good tutorial

here

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by void: 12-10-2008 00:49.

11-10-2008 23:46
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » utilizing stereo separation...