drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Writer's block: tips for songwriting?
Go to the bottom of this page Writer's block: tips for songwriting?
Author
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Parasyte
i find walks at night quite inspiring

also composing music in complete darkness.

then again i usually whack a silentkiller set on, plug my strobe light in and have a smoke.

although if you produce liquid this won't reaaaaally help Big Grin

Yes. I always walk around in my room at night in the dark hitting my computer until noises come out.
I always make sure I have a mic set up for when I wake up in the morning, that way when I fall over everything I have knocked over whilst wandering in the dark - the sounds are recorded.
I use these sounds as breaks.

Big Grin Tongue

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
30-10-2008 10:36
Parasyte Parasyte is a male
aka Sickboy

Registration Date: 04-03-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Phyella
quote:

then again i usually whack a silentkiller set on, plug my strobe light in and have a smoke.

Yes. I always walk around in my room at night in the dark hitting my computer until noises come out.
I always make sure I have a mic set up for when I wake up in the morning, that way when I fall over everything I have knocked over whilst wandering in the dark - the sounds are recorded.
I use these sounds as breaks.

Big Grin Tongue

I use my snoring as a bassline too Big Grin

__

05-11-2008 15:07 Homepage of Parasyte
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Play around with a new instrument..

I found a Tibetan mountain horn (I shit you not) and while maybe it didn't produce any sounds that could be used in drum n bass.. it was a good laugh.

Not the best example.. but I've come up with some decent ideas from fooling around on a double bass, Piano and another one which is making me some dirty basslines. I'm gonna leave you hanging on that one Wink

Watch 'the making of..' on the end of DVDs, sometimes there are huge sections dedicated to the soundtrack. Black Hawk Down has a good one.. and 24 Season 5 has an alright one. Trust me, it helps!

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
13-11-2008 04:15 Homepage of c_ctrl
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Came across these vids while on DOA. If you're on there you may have seen them on the Grid, this is for the peeps that aren't. Very interesting lecture on sound design by Ben Burtt. You'll recognize some of the sounds for sure.. might get the creative juices flowing for those with the old writers block. Kinda reinforcing what I was trying to get across in my last post..

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/in...aid/9762/tcid/1

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by c_ctrl: 22-11-2008 18:32.

22-11-2008 18:29 Homepage of c_ctrl
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:

I dunno. You never know. I'll do something similar before I make another tune. Tongue Cept, I don't smoke, have and silentkiller sets, or a strobe light. Pleased

--
Writers block sucks. Usually, I'll just concentrate on other things to get some inspiration. I always make different genres of music, never release em though. Don't worry about it. It'll come back.
01-12-2008 03:36
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Here is something I do ocationally. Some times I loop the main part of the song. Then watch youtube at the same time. Sometimes it may be old jungle tracks, or high speed chases, whatever and it quite often puts new ideas into my head. Only problem is trying to mimic the idea into the track Big Grin

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
01-12-2008 23:00
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Writer's block: tips for songwriting?