drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Writer's block: tips for songwriting?
Go to the bottom of this page Writer's block: tips for songwriting?
Author
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

writter's block is a bitch... I know it happens to everyone, when everything you make ends up sounding like shit... sounddesign and song writting can be very aggravating... 8 of 10 times, I'll come back later to something I hated and work on it 'till it's something I like, but I wonder if anyone has anything they do to get out of this funk and focus... any tips for breaking writter's block are welcome.

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
05-10-2008 02:40 Homepage of J.Rabbit
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

If nothing works out it is best if you notice it before you get frustrated. Then leave the composing alone, go sample hunting, go vst hunting, watch TV, work out at the gym, .... <fill in whatever you like> but don't try to compose any more and don't get scared about a little writer's block, this will disappear again soon.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-10-2008 10:41 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Listen to a lot of another type of music, like classical... find something you really, REALLY like in that music, like a certain composition or whatever, and then listen to it. Analyze it as much as you can.
That usually beats writer's block in me.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-10-2008 13:24 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

A few techniques that work for me:

1. Go chill for a bit, read or otherwise occupy your mind with something other than music. Do some housework (lol) or catch up with a friend or something.

2. Go make some new sounds, always inspires me (might take a while)

3. Listen to ANY music that you like and as Muad'Dib was saying, analyze it, deconstruct it, isolate what you like etc.

4. Listen to some new stuff that you've never heard before or some style you're unfamiliar with - it's amazing what can inspire you.

5. Eat properly! Sleep properly! Works wonders Big Grin

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
05-10-2008 16:09
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

nice... I appreciate all the advice... it can be discouraging... but it's short lived and passes quickly...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
05-10-2008 18:50 Homepage of J.Rabbit
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Lately things work the other way around for me. I rarely start composing with the idea of actually creating something. Just fooling around for the fun of it. It might be that after 4 hours of fooling I didn't create one second of usable music, but it aliso happens that I have a really good tune rolling. In both cases I am satisfied. I don't put myself under pressure when it comes to recording music. Pressure is your enemy.
I notice that I can be very creative when I'm under pressure though, pressure caused by a deadline for something else (like studying or doing something I don't like).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-10-2008 23:48 Homepage of BattleDrone

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Lately things work the other way around for me. I rarely start composing with the idea of actually creating something. Just fooling around for the fun of it. It might be that after 4 hours of fooling I didn't create one second of usable music, but it aliso happens that I have a really good tune rolling. In both cases I am satisfied. I don't put myself under pressure when it comes to recording music. Pressure is your enemy.
I notice that I can be very creative when I'm under pressure though, pressure caused by a deadline for something else (like studying or doing something I don't like).

nice, I like it when you're just fucking around, and you shit out a gold nugget of music... always fun, there have been a few times when I sat down to make a tune, and did, but more of the time I'm just fucking with noises or beats and shit comes out... but I see what you mean about pressure, by nature, I set deadlines for myself and sweat as shit approaches, I agree it can be the creativity killer... another good point my friend said is, "don't try to make the next tune better or as good as the previous tune, expectations can kill creativity"...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

06-10-2008 07:31 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

ez mate (lol) Tongue so ya we've all had a case of the ol writers block at some points in our producing lives, I always find listening to my fav dnb artists, peeps that rally inspire me always helps get the creative juices flowing Big Grin at the moment i'm lucky to have like 2 - 3 ideas before even finishing my current tune!!

as for not putting urself under pressure to make the next tune as good as ur last, i personally disagree, I'm always trying to out-do myself as thats what keeps motivating me to get better Big Grin and as I'm still learning something new with every tune I make generally my tunes are getting better (imo).

tbh with deadlines, sometimes (for someone like me) they can be useful, as I'm the kinda guy who sill sit on a tune for aaaages and never be 100% happy with it, so sometimes its good so know when to call it a day and pressure urself into finishing it so u can start all nice n fresh on the next project Big Grin Big Grin

hope u get ur mojo back mate! Bigup

__

06-10-2008 09:43 Homepage of Ketz
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i watch my fav tutorials to get me motivated of read cm magazine.
06-10-2008 11:25
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

oh i forgot to say - collabing is a great way of getting out of a rut in writting, working with someone else can be great for brigning something fresh into ur tunes and vice versa! Bigup

__

06-10-2008 16:36 Homepage of Ketz

Helpfulness rating: 

I appreciate all the imput... definetly helped, I got a couple good tunes in the works now... they'll be up in a few days if I can get away from work long enough to finish them... another good things I found by recommendation... is try making something other than dnb... like house or hip hop or dubstep, suprisingly, it works well... or another, is remixing a tune... even if you don't keep it, and will never be able to release legitamitly due to licensing copyright infringments and what not... it still gets the juices flowing and out of the rut... and ketz your def. right about colab. ...it's always nice to see someone else's take and trying to add to it...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

07-10-2008 07:55 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Try making another genre. I recently did that with some minimal techno and because u r looking for new sounds etc you stumble on things you would not have otherwise found. This is very inspiring and releases a lot of creativity and for me these are usually the most enjoyable sessions, which then lead on to freeing my mind again for dnb.

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
21-10-2008 14:22
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Don't pee for over 14 hours.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-10-2008 18:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Dont eat for 72 hours, makes you delirious and you dont want to sleep make sure you have 10 cans of redbull(BIG ONES) 3 monsters (original) a pot of coffee or 5
and a blow up doll to talk to since no one else will want to

and most importantly an 8th and a playstation Spliff
you know how we do Big Grin

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
21-10-2008 18:44

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by 2clix
Dont eat for 72 hours, makes you delirious and you dont want to sleep make sure you have 10 cans of redbull(BIG ONES) 3 monsters (original) a pot of coffee or 5
and a blow up doll to talk to since no one else will want to

and most importantly an 8th and a playstation Spliff
you know how we do Big Grin

LOL!

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

21-10-2008 19:17 Homepage of J.Rabbit
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
Don't pee for over 14 hours.

ROFL This I have to try Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
29-10-2008 15:58 Homepage of thechronic
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

you can always try to instigate some mad drama in ur life - emotions help creativity - not that i'm advocating you all rob a bank now..... Devil

__

29-10-2008 16:26 Homepage of Ketz
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
you can always try to instigate some mad drama in ur life - emotions help creativity - not that i'm advocating you all rob a bank now..... Devil

Im gonna Big Grin look out action 10 news

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
29-10-2008 16:34
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by 2clix
quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

Im gonna Big Grin look out action 10 news

lol, okay, but only if you promise to share the spoils Big Grin

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
29-10-2008 16:43
Parasyte Parasyte is a male
aka Sickboy

Registration Date: 04-03-2008

i find walks at night quite inspiring

also composing music in complete darkness.

then again i usually whack a silentkiller set on, plug my strobe light in and have a smoke.

although if you produce liquid this won't reaaaaally help Big Grin

__

30-10-2008 03:14 Homepage of Parasyte
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Writer's block: tips for songwriting?