drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Kick n Snare help
Go to the bottom of this page Kick n Snare help
Author
Beshai

images/avatars/avatar-2626.png

Registration Date: 17-05-2008

ok so I need my kick n snare to be more distinct.. more proper!

i push my snare at 200 or 140 usually and kick always at 100 rolling off at 80.
i also use waves stereo imgaer and put both to mono.

but it is still not enough!.. please help me!

__
hit the myspace Beshai myspace page
04-10-2008 03:48 Homepage of BESHAI
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I'm trying to improve my beats. The big trick seems to be finding the right samples to work with in the first place- use a spectrum analyzer to find samples that peak at the right frequencies rather than boosting the frequencies you want. Also some white noise behind the snare's attack helps.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
04-10-2008 04:26 Homepage of Phalanx
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Djodyssey
ok so I need my kick n snare to be more distinct.. more proper!

i push my snare at 200 or 140 usually and kick always at 100 rolling off at 80.
i also use waves stereo imgaer and put both to mono.

but it is still not enough!.. please help me!

I would recomend first, to utilize layers... the snare you're having hit at around 200 - cut everything out except that fundamental or "root note" it'll sound like a funny tom drum, then copy the same snare and eq that 200(+/-) frequency out of it, so it has a nice crack... same with the kick, have a sub kick around 60hz and then have another kick layered with eq like 100+ ... if these seem to get lost in the break layers you add, try cut up the break layers more, maybe removing the kick from them (keep in mind, highpass the layers), if this doesn't work, I would say maybe slightly side chain your kick and snare to everything else so they can pass through, if there's enough fullness with the layers and hi hats combined, it shouldn't sound noticeable... also, go to youtube and type "drum n bass tutorial" and look for the Chase and Status video, they show how they make their drums and it's actually pretty easy to understand...

hope this helps...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
04-10-2008 06:46 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

ya normally i use 2 kicks and atleast 2 snares, for the kick i have a nice punchy one that is a bit high endy and then another lower one so u get the boominess, snares in particular need to get a nice sample there as its so noticeable throughout the tune, all about the EQs ofcourse but u know about that, but yeah defo don't be afraid to layer, just don't overdo it Big Grin

__

04-10-2008 10:51 Homepage of Ketz
CLARKFADER
unregistered
hi , i get frustrated making beats , most times i do beats i just get pissed off and give up , he he , can never find a good video tutorial thou !!!!!!!
04-10-2008 12:55
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by CLARKFADER
hi , i get frustrated making beats , most times i do beats i just get pissed off and give up , he he , can never find a good video tutorial thou !!!!!!!

youtube.com > "drum n bass tutorial" > Chase and Status drum n bass tutorial 1 of 2 > Chase and Status drum n bass tutorial 2 of 2.

hope it helps...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
04-10-2008 16:41 Homepage of J.Rabbit
BESHAI BESHAI is a male
Beshai

I do use a spektral analyzer (voxengo Span) for making sure my drums are hitting certain frequencies. . i find it has helped my mix's alot. but it is still not enough. i will try taht tom technique u were talking about next time i am working on a tune.

the sidechaining idea sounds good. i will also try that as well

__
04-10-2008 19:03 Homepage of BESHAI
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Well when it comes to kicks you need to be careful when layering as at lower frequencies there is more likely to be some sort of phasing which means you'll actually loose some punch and depth when you add too many deep kicks over the top of each other.

There are a couple ways around this or to help lessen this affect

firstly.......USE THE PHASE REVERSE SWITCH!!!

A lot of people don't do this (sadly in reason its not possible but nearly every eq plug in iv come across has this feature)
It normally looks like a zero with a line through it.

So when you start layering, switch the phase on the new layer and quite often you'll hear a dramatic difference between the two. This will give you first hand experience of the effects of phasing can have on two completely different samples.

Once you find the best way then start to eq your sample,

Secondly ............... Have one kick for the real deep punch( i find synthetic samples like the 909 can be best for this as they are normally deeper than acoustic kick samples) and then use others as high passed layers to give it more character to help if cut through at higher frequencies
This will minimise the likelyhood of lower frequencies getting cancelled out Wink

The phase reverse switch is also pretty handy for snares also, not so much for stopping the low end cancelling out but it can really change the tone of your final snare by swapping the phase.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-10-2008 01:19 Homepage of D2o
BESHAI BESHAI is a male
Beshai

is this feature included in battery 3?

__
05-10-2008 20:04 Homepage of BESHAI
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Djodyssey
is this feature included in battery 3?

Not sure but would of thought so

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-10-2008 21:10 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Don't just layer a ton of snares on top of eachother either.
You should listen to the first snare to find out what it is missing to be a real whammer.
If it could use a tad more bang at the attack you should layer a sound that sounds like the bounce of a ball which has a great but short impact. If it needs to have more edge (high end) you cold layer a bit of white noise on top.

Make sure people can't tell that you layered sounds, it should sound like one snare. this can be achieved by tweaking levels and ADSR envelopes so every layer ends when it should end.

A general trick to get kicks and snare to peak where you want them to peak is to pitch 'em up or down while watching a spectrum analyser. As long as your drums don't start to sound like smurfs on helium it is ok to use this trick.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
06-10-2008 01:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
CLARKFADER
unregistered
quote:

As long as your drums don't start to sound like smurfs on helium

he he , smurfs on helium Smile , i got on the bus the other day , and some young kid was playing some happy hardcore not too loud but it was starting to iritate me , and that sounded like smurfs on acid , high pitched vocals "HATE THAT SHIT MAN" !!!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CLARKFADER: 11-10-2008 14:09.

11-10-2008 14:08
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

try distorting the drums or using a vocoder

__
CtMc Cool
17-08-2009 18:07
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaran
try distorting the drums or using a vocoder

Well that was quite useful. Wink Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
17-08-2009 19:52 Homepage of Puzzle
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Compressor with short attack (15 ms - 30 ms) with hard knee, and release of about 100-200 ms. Threshold 15-30 dB below the peaking point of the sample.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
17-08-2009 23:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Kick n Snare help