drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Jade Snare
Go to the bottom of this page Jade Snare
Author
Tryptech

Registration Date: 16-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.63

aj

Some question here. Dont know if you now jade, its a darkstep producer, often related too bse.

I noticed lately in many tracks that same hard snare, that raging snare
like in music from telemetrik (corrupt souls memeber, bse, misanthrop, camo) I read a lot on compression techniques and samples, but do not seem to get the technique; use camelphat. Anyone some tips on compressing you snares

jades myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jadednb

RSPT

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

20-09-2008 23:21 Homepage of tryptech
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I'm not familiar with this dj... however, I spend actually more time on snares than I should, I think snares are the hardest part of the loops... to be honest... I recommend layers of different snares (or the same, eq'd differently, probably 2-3 different snares) then a couple breaks layers, also eq'd differently (it's important to mention here, that I don't particular like using distortion on drums, especially something heavy like camelphat, however, if you can work it then work it) - then, in my master chanel, I will put a "puncher" effect on it (or slight slight slight distortion) and then I throw on a multi-band compressor... I let the low pass almost completely untouched by the compressor, but the mid and the high I tweek with the threshold, the ratio and the attack and I then I go back and forth between mine spectral analyzer to make sure it matches up as well as sounds good...

I hope this helps... when I get to my actual home computer with a good internet connection I'll check out that snare...

also, add some slight white noise and tweek with the cuttoff and the envelope...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
21-09-2008 05:10 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

hi mate bit late on this one Tongue ya i heard jade's stuff good producer! i think i know the sound ur going for really my main tips (if u already don't know this ignore lol) are as J Rabbit said layers, really i can't stress the importance of the samples u use enough, i have looooooooooads of snare samples but i only use like 1 main one and a choice out of maybe 5 (and this is out of hundreds of snare samples eh!) so yeah make sure the initial sample is really really good otherwise ur "polishing a turd" as they say Big Grin

i never used to compress my snares, i know it can be tricky as you don't wanna overdo it and squash the hell out of it so really what i've started doing recently is keep the ratio pretty low (maybe 2:1 or suthin near) and turn the output gain up to taste. if u want that raging snappy snare it sounds like its quite a short sample (correct me if im wrong and chattin about the wrong type of snare here haha) so try cutting the sustain see if that helps

layer white noise or 909 snare for the very high end of ur snare (and a lil tip that i picked up from the brookes bros tutorial - do a slight fade or even try a slow attack on this layer so it doesn't hit at exactly the same time as your main snare and acts more as a "tail")

so hopefully some of this waffle was of some help, if not sorry! Tongue and hopefully u will read this at some point as i haven't seen u on here in ages Big Grin

peace

edit: just realised i didn't mention regarding compression - the attack on the snare, as i'm still learning myself i will say that ofcourse u don't want the attack to be too fast, will squash the whole sound too much but really just reduce it slowly to get it punchy without sounding too squashed and dead

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 21-10-2008 14:32.

21-10-2008 14:25 Homepage of Ketz
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Jade Snare