drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Can someone please help me get some bass??
Go to the bottom of this page Can someone please help me get some bass??
Author

images/avatars/avatar-2656.gif

Registration Date: 19-09-2008

Hey guys i got fl 7xxl producer edition.. i'm lovin it and i'm making alot of trax.. (actually i'm working on my break as we speak) however i'm having a hard time getting that nice bass sound and pitched bass and stuff that you hear in like dieselboy, or most hip hop tracks or reggae like duu duu duuuuuu duu udu dududu or whatever u know.. i use boo bass and add fx bass, but that's not enough bc it is very limited.. is there a plugin u can help me find that can help me add some nice bass to my songs please or another way?? Also how do i install the plugins once ive downloaded them? I appreciate it very much. Ok speak soon and maximum respect! Drummer

-HZA

myspace.com/djhypnotize

ps if anyone needs any plugins lmk!

__
N1NJA57YL3
19-09-2008 18:35 Homepage of djHypnotize
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

learn to work with 3xOSC, it's a plug-in that's already in FL.

if you download seven gun's bass pack in the samples area you can hear what you cna make with 3xOSC.

__
Bigup laborecordings
19-09-2008 18:44 Homepage of sssonarrr
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

Buy Native Instruments's Massive....

My favourite Soft Synth, and you should be able to get what you want from it....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Thisisausername: 19-09-2008 19:05.

19-09-2008 19:05
djHypnotize djHypnotize is a male

Thx guys! hey sonar, i dl the bass pack, wheere do i install to, like what folder n stuff?? Confused

__
N1NJA57YL3

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djHypnotize: 19-09-2008 20:08.

19-09-2008 20:00 Homepage of djHypnotize
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

you dont need to install the sounds, can be loaded from anywhere on your comp....check out z3ta for creating good reece's....zebra is also a decent synth.......for distortion try camel phat or izotope trash or psp nitro, things like the 3xosc are good but you need some decent processing tools (distortion, eq, chorus, filters etc) to really get the sound your looking for.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
19-09-2008 21:41 Homepage of Sephiroth
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

ez mate well depending on how well you know your synths i would suggest getting to grips with the basic ones first (so its 3xOsc for FL right?) once u get ur head round some of the fundementals of synthesis and also processing then move onto the big daddies eg z3ta, massive, absynth etc etc

__

20-09-2008 12:17 Homepage of Ketz
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

Ketz has some really good advise, learn the basics before you start drowning in all the other options of the 'big' soft synths.

it's better to know your 3xOSC before you start working with other soft synths.
3xOSC is very good to learn the basics of soundcreation.

__
Bigup laborecordings
20-09-2008 14:16 Homepage of sssonarrr
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

a plugin that makes a unique reese/bass for you doesn't exist...

imagine everybody could make fat sounds in a djiffy... Shocked

It would spoil all the fun, making music would be as easy like listening to it...
and music would be boring...

producing is not just choosing presets in a plugin, and sequencing some samples...

producing is a long process, without a manual...

i recommend you to learn what sound is first,
then get the basics of synthesis,
after that you could have a look at how processing sound is done

I assume you know how to use a simple DAW, otherwise, rtfm

edit: processing and synthesis isn't a required step, but i recommend you to learn it anyway... it'll be (very) usefull.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 20-09-2008 19:03.

20-09-2008 17:52
technetiumzk technetiumzk is a male
Super-Duper Rad Funky

images/avatars/avatar-2589.png

Registration Date: 21-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Saikonutta
a plugin that makes a unique reese/bass for you doesn't exist...

imagine everybody could make fat sounds in a djiffy... Shocked

It would spoil all the fun, making music would be as easy like listening to it...
and music would be boring...

producing is not just choosing presets in a plugin, and sequencing some samples...

producing is a long process, without a manual...

i recommend you to learn what sound is first,
then get the basics of synthesis,
after that you could have a look at how processing sound is done

I assume you know how to use a simple DAW, otherwise, rtfm

edit: processing and synthesis isn't a required step, but i recommend you to learn it anyway... it'll be (very) usefull.

Hit the nail right on the head. Some very very useful advice here.
Another good place to start is to find some reese samples or even a gabber bass drum/hard trance bass drum and elongate it. Those can get you very cool sounds when you layer and add effects, so Just keep playing around, but don't think it's going to come fast or easy. I haven't found a formula that works for me and i've been making DnB in FL for almost a year now.

__
LOL Rockin
im 14, deal with it.
20-09-2008 19:19 Homepage of technetiumzk
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I think ssssnoar hit it head on...

I use FL7 as well... and I think what you're describing is a deep sine wav (probably hitting around the 40-60hz range)... what you should do is open up the 3xosc and turn the 3rd osc (or the bottom one) all the way up, and drop the pitch (an octave) until you get that deep rumble in the sub you're talking about...

and to whoever recommended massive - it is a great program, I love it, but I always use 3xosc for sub... powerful and not overly complicated...

*but to each is own, there is no "right" or "wrong" way, just make it sound good...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
21-09-2008 04:52 Homepage of J.Rabbit
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yeah man massive rules, simple and effective. it even comes with dnb presets and they are gooooooooooooooooooddd.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 21-09-2008 12:18.

21-09-2008 12:18
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
it even comes with dnb presets and they are gooooooooooooooooooddd.

yeah right,

and tell all your friends: listen to MY fat bass in MY original tune, me a producer, me very good, checkitout!! Huh

why not download some dnb tunes and say to your friends you produced them... Roll Eyes

There is no fast answer to this guy's question...

If you want to learn to produce, be prepared to travel a long way;

if you don't want to learn, RTFM, google or use your imagination,

you're gonna get nowhere...

Its like writing a program without knowing how to program; yeah u can find code on the net and compile it, but does that make you a programmer?

If you can play a tune on the piano, does that make you a pianist?

NO!

making music needs talent

understanding technology needs common sense

learning needs patience

You can't make the sound YOU want if you don't know what it is, how it works, sounds or how it is made. You need to know what's going on "under the hood" when using "that program/ device"

I thinkthe best way to make reese/bass is just to imagine it first in your head how it should sound, then use technology to make it. (assuming u can)

This second step (using technology) is a step no one will explain on a forum (certainly not me if you can find it directly in the manual), you'll just have to start to rtfm and experiment.

And one final thing:

What do you prefer?

A technician that can work with a machine and make some random product,
or a technician that can work with the machine and deliver customized products to the customer and even repair/tweak the machine?

PS: my opinion about (electronical) music is: if you are not original (too much samples&presets) YOU'RE NOT A MUSICIAN, NOR A PRODUCER, AND CERTAINLY NOT AN ARTIST!

but congrats, you still can sequence, like they learn to sequence colored blocks in preschool.
23-09-2008 16:10
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

fair enough man thats your opinion Smile but to completely rule out the use of samples and presets is a bit unrealistic imo, although I have massive respect for people that 100% make ALL of their sounds in ALL of their productions (specifically synths) from SCRATCH, but what if we now start talking about beats? most peeps use samples of some form or another in beats, if I use a loop am I now not "making" my own beat? even if i process it, repgoram it, use it as one in 10 layers? - does that not make it "my own"? I think the boundaries are blurred especially nowadays and I think also taking a sample and processing it (eg for bass / synth) until it is no longer recognisable from the original sound should be considered a valid way to making a sound. also to take a preset and to craft it into your own sound is also a valid way of creating your own sound imo

but ofcourse I will admit again, I am envious and have a lot of respect for producers making their sounds from an initialized patch on a synth, I have yet to get to that level, but i have learnt the basics and have made a few sounds that I am proud of (thanks to advice and example patches from fellow dnb heads Bigup )

whoops! waffle! haha

peace

__

23-09-2008 16:38 Homepage of Ketz
djHypnotize djHypnotize is a male

Thanks all for all the great input, J, Sonar etc.. u guys rock... i will definitly hone my skill and progress... i'm actually working on my break record as i am a dj.. i love dnb and jungle.. i like jungle sky alot and am a skratch dj.. if any of you are into skratching check me out:

www.myspace.com/djhypnotize

I'm pretty ok and i love skratching to fast dnb Happy ) I will update u with my progress and upload trax for u to check out.. i like 3xosc absynth n the rest im getting familiar, but haven't mastered them yet.. pz and maximum respect!

-Hyp Drummer

__
N1NJA57YL3

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by djHypnotize: 23-09-2008 18:10.

23-09-2008 17:52 Homepage of djHypnotize
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
fair enough man thats your opinion Smile but to completely rule out the use of samples and presets is a bit unrealistic imo, although I have massive respect for people that 100% make ALL of their sounds in ALL of their productions (specifically synths) from SCRATCH, but what if we now start talking about beats? most peeps use samples of some form or another in beats, if I use a loop am I now not "making" my own beat? even if i process it, repgoram it, use it as one in 10 layers? - does that not make it "my own"? I think the boundaries are blurred especially nowadays and I think also taking a sample and processing it (eg for bass / synth) until it is no longer recognisable from the original sound should be considered a valid way to making a sound. also to take a preset and to craft it into your own sound is also a valid way of creating your own sound imo.

Agree 100% with that. Happy

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
23-09-2008 18:23 Homepage of Tomos
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Helpfulness rating: 

well,

i was talking about bass/reece

i did use the term "production", because it also applied. (not as a strict answer, but as a hint)
23-09-2008 19:46
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Interestin thread this

its an old arguement, r the guys producin this kind of music with no formal musical knowledge actually musicians? and how much of bein able to make this kind a music is actually sound engineering and so not art or is sound engineering an art form in itself?? I suppose using presets is an extension of this arguement?
For me, particularly in dnb there are certain engineering techniques (that I have picked up that I wouldnt for a second have thought of creating myself) that are fundamental to the way I produce (eq to remove frequencies so sounds don't clash, high pass filtering breaks etc etc) which is kind off uncreative but necessary. However similarly, to make a tune composed entirely of loops and synth presets without putting your own creativity into it seems pretty pointless to me.

I guess I'm pretty much with Ketz and Tomos on this one. Somewhere in the middle I guess, tweak presets close to what you want to get to the sound you're after or mangle other samples so that they're unrecognisable or layer up loads of reeses, add loads of fx resample etc. as long as you're doin it for the right reasons (ie your own enjoyment / to feed your creativity demon etc)

:waffle:

Peace

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

23-09-2008 20:10 Homepage of Binary Havoc
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Saikonutta
quote:
it even comes with dnb presets and they are gooooooooooooooooooddd.

yeah right,

and tell all your friends: listen to MY fat bass in MY original tune, me a producer, me very good, checkitout!! Huh

why not download some dnb tunes and say to your friends you produced them... Roll Eyes

There is no fast answer to this guy's question...

If you want to learn to produce, be prepared to travel a long way;

if you don't want to learn, RTFM, google or use your imagination,

you're gonna get nowhere...

Its like writing a program without knowing how to program; yeah u can find code on the net and compile it, but does that make you a programmer?

If you can play a tune on the piano, does that make you a pianist?

NO!

making music needs talent

understanding technology needs common sense

learning needs patience

You can't make the sound YOU want if you don't know what it is, how it works, sounds or how it is made. You need to know what's going on "under the hood" when using "that program/ device"

I thinkthe best way to make reese/bass is just to imagine it first in your head how it should sound, then use technology to make it. (assuming u can)

This second step (using technology) is a step no one will explain on a forum (certainly not me if you can find it directly in the manual), you'll just have to start to rtfm and experiment.

And one final thing:

What do you prefer?

A technician that can work with a machine and make some random product,
or a technician that can work with the machine and deliver customized products to the customer and even repair/tweak the machine?

PS: my opinion about (electronical) music is: if you are not original (too much samples&presets) YOU'RE NOT A MUSICIAN, NOR A PRODUCER, AND CERTAINLY NOT AN ARTIST!

but congrats, you still can sequence, like they learn to sequence colored blocks in preschool.

I think you're right, but I find this a little aggressive... I started by sampling drums and basssounds and sequencing them into tunes that I knew weren't legit, but it still helped me grow as a producer in many ways... now-a-days, you're right, I can't use presets, atleast not without editing them, usually I start with a 3xosc or a basic saw wave and go from there... so yeah, you're right... just kind of mean about, maybe?

I do like how you mentioned though, it's about knowing what type of sound you're heaing... like, thinking "that sound sounds like "x" wave that has some band reject on it with some heavy distortion"... things like that... when I sit down, if I have a sound in mind, there is no better advantage than knowing what it is I'm desiring, and being able to make it from scratch...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
24-09-2008 06:50 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

i even think that you can make decent songs with unaltered samples and still call yourself a musician/producer.

if this wouldn't be the case, then dub wouldn't be made by musicians/producers as most samples are just placed somewhere different in the song. and it's not really remixing either i guess...

__
Bigup laborecordings
25-09-2008 19:00 Homepage of sssonarrr
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by sssonarrr
i even think that you can make decent songs with unaltered samples and still call yourself a musician/producer.

if this wouldn't be the case, then dub wouldn't be made by musicians/producers as most samples are just placed somewhere different in the song. and it's not really remixing either i guess...

I hate when producers sample melodies- I guess in some cases you need a jazz sax sample or some other cue, but when large sections of a piece written by a real composer are added, it really undermines the original work and gives the producer too much credit.

Also, it can be too obvious when a chord preset is used- sure you get chords, but it can't substitute for feeling the chord changes and understanding some basic voicing techniques.

Whatever is done by the producer is acceptable as long as he or she understands what is being done and why it is working. If a sound that you want happens to match a preset by all means use it, but take note of the filters, waveforms etc in the preset that makes it work. Sampling can be useful for atmospherics and effects but I think the best producers really put themselves into their music and the best way is to use their own material as the vehicle for their work.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
26-09-2008 00:41 Homepage of Phalanx
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Can someone please help me get some bass??