drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drums - Swing?
Go to the bottom of this page Drums - Swing?
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by 2clix

you'd need a pit crew to change the rubbers Big Grin

Just call me Lewis Hamilton Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos

Ah, but only on the half-time sections during the breakdowns.

mate in my current state i would struggle at hip hop speed!!

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 17-09-2008 21:44.

17-09-2008 21:41 Homepage of Ketz
technetiumzk technetiumzk is a male
Super-Duper Rad Funky

images/avatars/avatar-2589.png

Registration Date: 21-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by 2clix
quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
i'm sure with enough stamina one could shag at 175bpm!! Banana

you'd need a pit crew to change the rubbers Big Grin

haha!
pure poetry.

__
LOL Rockin
im 14, deal with it.
19-09-2008 02:00 Homepage of technetiumzk
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I started a forum a while back because I could not get the Amen break to sound good quantized. There is swing in that break, and the main advice I was given was to use the swing from the Amen on everything else. I understand this but I do want to quantize my beats, because I like tight quantization and it is pretty necessary for mixing with other tunes.

So how do u all get this break to sound good quantized? or do you not quantize it but quantize the rest of the drums i.e. main kik snare etc? (I do not want to use the break as a main break but more of a high passed splashy vibe)

thanks

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
20-09-2008 12:52
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
I started a forum a while back because I could not get the Amen break to sound good quantized. There is swing in that break, and the main advice I was given was to use the swing from the Amen on everything else. I understand this but I do want to quantize my beats, because I like tight quantization and it is pretty necessary for mixing with other tunes.

So how do u all get this break to sound good quantized? or do you not quantize it but quantize the rest of the drums i.e. main kik snare etc? (I do not want to use the break as a main break but more of a high passed splashy vibe)

thanks

i never quantise my breaks, just layer your kik n snare over the top of it and filter out the low end. if you dont want to use the same pattern just chopp it up and re-arrange thats what i do.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 21-09-2008 12:29.

21-09-2008 12:27
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause

thanks

Make sure your kicks and snares are on the right positions and let the stuff in between roll just like it rolls. Keeping the original groove of the amen is ok, but if you want to do some individual editing of the hits you'll loose it anyway. If you play big chomps of the original (old jungle style) you can keep it.
If you see a ghosthit being played off the grid (meaning it is shuffled) don't just correct it, listen to the whole thing and if it sounds good, keep it. This counts for all breaks and all edits you do to them.
When you layer breaks you should adjust the position of the ghosthits you want to layer to the position of the ghost hits in the first break, then you'll have no problems getting them to sound as one. It's really siimple if you understand the structure of a the break you are working with.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-09-2008 23:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
Pytchlocka Pytchlocka is a male
[ » K | R | Y | P | T | O | P | H | Y | T | E™ « ]

images/avatars/avatar-2790.png

Registration Date: 25-07-2008

Yeah swing sounds pretty sweet sometimes, like on Noisia Facade VIP . In some occassions it works really nice. On Logic you can choose from 6 different swing lvls (A-F) which each one is more intense. I you want some swing but not make it so evident and just sort of hint it to give it a special feel, choose A or B.
04-11-2008 03:23 Homepage of Pytchlocka
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

weird i was just about to start a new thread about this... do you add swing to drums and put bass on 16ths? or do you keep drums on 16ths and swing bass?

For me on a track recently I thought bass sounded better with a bit of swing (16A), and the drums on straight 16ths with no swing. I know i can hear people saying use what u think sounds better, but your ears can sometimes play tricks on u.

I just want to know what most people think.

Selecta!

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
05-11-2008 20:22
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drums - Swing?