drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Google releases own browser CHROME
Go to the bottom of this page Google releases own browser CHROME
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Resizeable text input boxes!!

Yep!!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-09-2008 09:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

I quite like it, like the UI a lot more than FF. Loads of used screen-space, flexible UI (dragging tabs took 3 major versions in FF...), very unintrusive messages, and a few very cool idea's other browsers undoubtable will copy (which is a good thing).

Good to see some decent competition on browser-level. IE8 vs. Firefox vs. Chrome vs. Safari vs. Opera should be interesting to see... And that's one of the main reasons for Chrome's existance I think, making sure there are as standard-compliant browsers as possible so it doesn't matter what OS you're running. This means - threatening microsoft's position on the OS market - it's in google's best interest to push applications to the internet. You see this happening more & more, gmail, gcal, google docs, adobe even has an online version of it's photoshop. Once you have such a system, the OS won't matter for a lot of 'simple' and user-oriented applications.

Other thing google wants to archieve offcourse is to be able to stress certain strong points of it's own browser which are very important - javascript execution speeds in Chrome are so far ahead of the competition that it's not even funny, which is a very important thing for Google's own web-applications.

What I found striking was that when started for the first time, it asked which search engine you wanted to use as a default, offering Yahoo and a few others. Just pressing "OK" just took the default (google offcourse), but still - that's smth MS could learn from.

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee
11-09-2008 16:11 Homepage of KoFFiE
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

True, and it's web apps where Chrome will really shine. Since it can execute javascript much faster all web apps will work much faster too.

The next version of Firefox will also compile javascript so it will gain a similar amount of speed. A beta of this is available for download. Some sites have tested the speed of Chrome vs FF 3.1.

I have read reports that the release of Chrome does not eat away at the user base of Internet Explorer though, rather it causes users of Firefox, Opera and Safari to convert to Chrome. This seems logical since the people that are still using Internet Explorer today are clearly not interested in using a better browser and will stick to Internet Explorer, no matter what improvements are made in the browser world...

I'm also sticking with Firefox for the time being, some addons that I use (eg Web Developer, Firebug, ...) are too good to miss out on, but I will certainly be using Chrome from time to time Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
11-09-2008 16:30 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

it seems to be updating itself without notice Confused

the small lockups that made me stop using it are gone

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
27-09-2008 23:40 Homepage of cynik
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
it seems to be updating itself without notice Confused

FF also downloads bugfix releases automatically now.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-09-2008 09:46 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

well I stopped using it as it started pissing me off. seems its update by update the thing is actually getting worse Confused

the pauses are back with more bugs - plugins (flash) crash all the time and that wasnt on some crappy ass stream site where youd expect coding to be horrible - but often crashes on youtube.

what really pisses me off is sheer arrogance in its advertising which is clearly aimed at destroying competitions credibility. it instead destroys their own product when you discover all the crap they mention simply isnt true

the thing where they say "every tab is another process" is a nice idea but it just dont work, if a plugin crashes on one tab all the others are busted too. which IS crap ass advertising if you ask me.

more so - when a tab crashes for other unknown reasons (no plugins, regular html) that also crashes all other tabs. stability gone out of window, even IE is better than this

it seems they got the right idea which is not a great deal as anyone can think up ideas out of their asses but dont have the slightest idea how to accomplish them

back to the trusty "old" firefox!

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-10-2008 09:31 Homepage of cynik
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Google releases own browser CHROME