drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Required samples & vst for clipz, hazard style
Go to the bottom of this page Required samples & vst for clipz, hazard style
Author
Blazed Bandits

Registration Date: 20-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hi all,

i appreciate there are many requests for samples and vsts, i have browsed everything on here.... Now i think its all getting a bit outdated?? Im into clipz, hazard style drum n bass and require grimey grimey samples and one shots. Nothing apart from seven g's bass pack couplea psitech and cyberworms things on here really take my fancy. Also being limited in production skillz i fail again to make something of them.

I was wondering if we could make 1 more thread for samples and vst, make sure there all 100% free! (which has never happened from what ive seen...) and there dirty ;-). Also anyone wishing to pm me how to manipulate these bass samples would be very appreciated, plus anything else you may think is helpfull.

Nice one dnb.be loveing whats going on here.
01-09-2008 10:49
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

There is no VST to solve your problem, you need normal basses and the correct distortion. Although this style of music might sound simple to some it really isn't that easy. Search for some good distortion and tweak ahead.

Breaks will be breaks and basses will be basses, it's what you do with it that matters.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-09-2008 16:09 Homepage of BattleDrone
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
There is no VST to solve your problem, you need normal basses and the correct distortion. Although this style of music might sound simple to some it really isn't that easy. Search for some good distortion and tweak ahead.

Breaks will be breaks and basses will be basses, it's what you do with it that matters.

Lmao typical olé BD.

Try http://soundsnap.com

eZ.

__

01-09-2008 16:15 Homepage of Sentinel
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Battle drone said it best... I don't know of any samples or VSTs that would make more grimey noises more than others... I recommend finding a VST you feel comfortable with a play around with distortion, layering, and filters... it may sound like a lot of shit, but just remember, Clipz and Hazard didn't sit down their first time and put out Machette bass or Slippery Slopes... it takes time, practice and patience, luckily we live in an age where lots of information can be found on the internet...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
02-09-2008 09:11 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

The first step to getting the sound you want is trying to make it rather than look for it. Try using a good synth (Predator, Vanguard, even 3xOsc) and a distortion plugin like Camelphat with some filtering added and you can start to explore the possibilities.

Here are a few decent free VSTs:
http://www.novakill.com/killerz.htm

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
02-09-2008 09:38 Homepage of Phalanx
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I don't want to be rude or anything, I love this style but never got into searching for the correct distortions to figure it out really. Here's what I figured out up to now:

The Basses
These sounds focus on the low mids, so they are not really big badass bass sounds. Cut off any low end underneath 50Hz as it will only cause problems with distortion.
You need to use some realy simple SAW waves or square waves, really uncomplicated sounds which are slightly detuned, but a tad more than a reece. All the "feel" is added to the sound by using the right distortion. I don't think there is one distortion to be used on all sounds, each midbass needs it's own treatment to get enough own feel to your tune.

The low end
You need to layer a sub under those midbasses to get a nice filled out sound. Remember not to mess with the sub, it just has to hum nicely around 50Hz.

The Drums
Remember to use a break that has only hihats as ghost bits so the ghosts will not collide with the highend of your basses. The style doesn't typically require a lot of drum variation, just on the D-bar there is a typically end structure break. Drums are really not that important in this style.

Structure
Typical patterns for those basses are (in bars) ABACABAD
You'd want to have really wicked and different bass sounds in your ABC and D bars to have a lot of variation in the tune.

Dress it all up
To get a real pro sound you need some extra's to dress it up nicely, check DJ Hazards busted for a good example. Some pad/synth, a main idea (in this case police chasing criminals) with vocals and SFX to keep things interesting. A typical mistake for beginners would be to make 3-4 ok basses and create a whole tune with just that, very naked and very boring. The dressup thing is very difficult to get right. 70's action movies (the worse the better) are a good source for sounds. No soul vocals!

__
02-09-2008 09:42 Homepage of BattleDrone
c0rksteria c0rksteria is a male
Blazed Bandits

Helpfulness rating: 

Thankyou battle drone. Very detail mate, brilliant. I shall be keeping this post for later referance. Ive now concluded im not pursuing this anymore. To new really, i need to establish my self in general production before attempting clipz wobbles.

Still finding my way in all honesty. Anyone else own fruty loops? i bought the fl studio bible, however in all honesty it wasent what i was expecting??. Itis good, itis veryuseful however, not what i was looking for. Anyone no any decent books that could be applied to fl enviermeant? Anything atall. My situation is i own fl studio 8 xxl producer edition, and i have the biggest passion for drum n bass id love to make it. Im a computer tehcnician well i was, i built a beast d.a.w, always wanted to build my own custom pc and now have. Mixed the computer skills with the music passion and built a d.a.w. I know nothing really in terms of production. Ive bought a fairfew computer music magazines (future) in the past, i rate them vey much. Im intrested to know of anyother books and magazines that people use or have referanced from. If atall possible geared uptowards drum n bass in fl.

Again thankyou battledrone, really appreciate your comments and respect you for nerturing noobs like my self into the scene by sound advice.
02-09-2008 14:36
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

With the FL studio bible you can learn everything you need to produce, but it's not a book you can use as a guide from beginning to end.

A good way to learn it is to start messing with it and if you get stuck, post a question on the FL studio forum (from image line) or in the FL studio area on here when it is DnB specific.

Your question about books will be handled well on the FL studio forum.
Also a good source for help for newcomers is youtube!

Don't expect to be making top notch tunes overnight though, it's a long and bumpy road with any DAW.

__
02-09-2008 15:42 Homepage of BattleDrone
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

You should check out this website too:

http://flstudiowiki.com/FLStudioWiki/index.php/FLiki

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
02-09-2008 18:25 Homepage of Tomos
c0rksteria c0rksteria is a male
Blazed Bandits

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks guys brilliant. Il stick to fl forum now, where i probaly should of started this thread... sorry battledrone! Anyway thats spot on for now when im ready for the next level il let someone no! Read your thread from 2006 battledrone "I can't switch from Techno to DnB" that was very helpfull mate. Cheers.
03-09-2008 10:40
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Always welcome, stay on here too...
Giving up is losing so keep going.

__
03-09-2008 13:41 Homepage of BattleDrone
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

yeah - Battledrone is the man... I like how he put it... for some one who uses fruity loops, loves clipz/hazard and makes wobble, here's my take...

- like battle drone said, this style operates alot with low mid sounds and what not... what I do, is I'll make a rhythm or melody, and I'll select the desired effect with the proper vst - such as Massive or 3xosc - once I get it to how I want it, or close, I'll eq all the sub out - I go with less than a 100... then I'll just copy the channels or maybe make a seperate 3xosc with a deep sine wave and eq it up to 60hz, maybe a little more depending on the melody... I'll also side chain the sub to the kick of the drums so that the drums stay pronoucned and the kicks to get all muddy... depending on the tune I might slightly side chain the mid-high parts to the drums (only 5-10%).

-as far as drums go, battle drone is right, however I wouldn't say they don't matter or are less important, I usually make my drum breaks in a seperate project, then bounce them out and then just load them into the tune in order to save the CPU and confusion. I recommend a healthy snare fundamental (around 200hz) and a nice sub kick layered under neath as well...

-as far as dressing it up goes, I just look at it like giving the tune characteristic... samples, pads, backround noises, things like that... which is vital to any genre of edm...

I don't know everything - and there is no "right" way, but this has been working for me so far and it was how I was taught and how I learned... more or less, if anyone reading this disagrees with this or has any other feed back I'd love to hear it... if you're curious about what I've done with this, check out www.myspace.com/jrabbit and listen to the tunes on there... either way, practice and patience - practice patience practice patience practice patience practice patience practice patience practice patience (and repeat)

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
06-09-2008 06:18 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

dude its not even about a type of distortion or anything like that---it is about maybe making your own original recorded samples and manipulating them, or getting a nice sound from a synth.

the main thing is detuning in my opinion, vital in getting a BIG sound.

try making a simple sawtooth sound on a simple synth with a bit of LFO. by itself it wont sound that great, but take the same sound, and pitch one up by .20 and one down by .20. this will give u an idea of how to make an interesting sound.... the rest is experimentation, and starting out with different waves, filter resonance etc.

Im not the guru or n e thing but i feel i know a bit, and when i started i was reading threads like this and going away thinking i need a particular plug in to make it happen....not against anything said i just want people to realise that u have to take some things with a pinch of salt

Happy

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
07-09-2008 20:25
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Required samples & vst for clipz, hazard style