drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » before the drop...
Go to the bottom of this page before the drop...
Author
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I have a question about the pads or white noise effect, commonly used just prior to a drop.... it helps add to the build and gets the dancefloor ready, however, I can seem to perfect it, at first I thought it was just some pad with a glide effect and some serious attack time, however, it didn't work, even with eqing - then I tried white noise, couldn't get it to bed right, I even tried basic saw/square waves and it still doesn't seem to work... just wondering what you guys think are some good techniques to create this classic effect.

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
25-08-2008 17:10 Homepage of J.Rabbit
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

There's no one thing to do before a drop. Just try to build it up so the drop as exciting as you want it.
25-08-2008 22:13
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

no, I understand that... I've been working alot with basslines and double kicks or multiple snare hits before the drop... what I'm talking about is a specific noise, that's commonly found, like a high pitch ringing or a pad, it sounds like a glide effect or a heavy attack time, I'm not sure... do you know what I mean?

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
26-08-2008 02:57 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Pytchlocka Pytchlocka is a male
[ » K | R | Y | P | T | O | P | H | Y | T | E™ « ]

images/avatars/avatar-2790.png

Registration Date: 25-07-2008

Yah dude jst pretty much use anything that sounds nice. Any tasty wave you can glide up will work wonders. Try to layer 'em possibly also. Smile
26-08-2008 03:50 Homepage of Pytchlocka
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

I think I know what you're talking about. I've simulated that noise by taking white noise then slowly bringing the cutoff frequency up, if you know what I mean.
26-08-2008 10:15
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Play the white noise at a very low note and pitch it up to get a nice swoosh effect.
Also play with the volume. I sometimes use an open hihat or a cymbal for this effect.

You could use a synth and pitch it up let the kicks go nuts, or both.
A good thing to do is to end the climax with a vocal solo before the drop or let the bassline kick in half a bar too early (also solo).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
26-08-2008 10:45 Homepage of BattleDrone

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by CheesyPOOF5
I think I know what you're talking about. I've simulated that noise by taking white noise then slowly bringing the cutoff frequency up, if you know what I mean.

nice, I hear what you're saying, any specific vst's with white noise you prefer?

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

26-08-2008 12:33 Homepage of J.Rabbit
RePuL RePuL is a male

images/avatars/avatar-2631.jpg

Registration Date: 26-08-2008

as you can see im a newbie so please dont laugh, you could try creating a note sample, have it fade out slightly and reverse it?

__
LIFE IS LIKE AN OCEAN, YOU HAVE TO DROWN IN IT TO FEEL ITS INTENSITY
27-08-2008 11:42
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Instead of just pitching up white noise you could try putting it through a bandpass filter and automating it to make it swoosh.
27-08-2008 12:03
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Maybe a reversed cymbal?

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
27-08-2008 16:46
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

maybe a combination of all the before mentioned ideas?

__
Bigup laborecordings
27-08-2008 18:21 Homepage of sssonarrr

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by selig
Instead of just pitching up white noise you could try putting it through a bandpass filter and automating it to make it swoosh.

thanks... I'll try it out, for some reasons I'm having trouble automating the pitch of the white noise... whatever, I'll keep playing with it... but I like the idea with bandpass filter... I also use a reversed cymbal with a long duration and a mean attack, works some what, but not exactly what I was looking for...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

28-08-2008 14:36 Homepage of J.Rabbit

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by RePuL
as you can see im a newbie so please dont laugh, you could try creating a note sample, have it fade out slightly and reverse it?

that's not a bad idea, I just don't think it creates the right energy I'm looking for... when I've tried that it comes out sounding to flat or 1 dimensional... maybe if I used more layers... either way, thanks for the imput.

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

28-08-2008 14:39 Homepage of J.Rabbit
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

man even nothing - silence before the drop can "sound" the best. no rules

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
28-08-2008 18:42 Homepage of cynik

Helpfulness rating: 

I agree... sometimes just a snare, or a sample from a dvd or some shit... it's all well and good, I'm just working on a tune wear that effect is desired...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

29-08-2008 07:15 Homepage of J.Rabbit
tojwonkle

Registration Date: 30-08-2008

try using a basic white noise through a lowpass filter with the resonance quite high and automate the cut. Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think it's possible to alter the pitch of white noise since by definition it isnt a note anyway... well I dunno i kinda confused myself there
31-08-2008 02:51
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i took a sample of a sci fi film of a space ship taking off, used it with a kik drum roll and it sounded pretty nice.

simple and effective

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 07-09-2008 16:31.

07-09-2008 16:31
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

oops, wrong thread sorry.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CheesyPOOF5: 07-09-2008 23:37.

07-09-2008 23:35
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

yeah really what everyone has said here - you want to combine several ideas and use several techniques in ur build up to make it unique and interesting. so a few i use (never used white noise in a build up - may try it out sometime!) - layer 3 or 4 different pads all pitching up simultaneously, each with a different texture to create a nice phat overall rise effect, filter to taste to increase the woosh, automate the lfo rate / amount if u want that "wah wah" effect to get faster and faster the closer u get to the drop, vocals on their own, like cynik said silence works a treat as you have "nothing" and then "everything", the contrast really makes the drop pronounced i use that a lot, in one tune i even took the beat out of the 1st 2 bars after where the drop is supposed to be, just have the bass playing (and filter the break in for those 2 bars) and then the whole thing drops on the 3rd bar - keep the crowd guessing and build that extra bit of tension for that additional split second. build ups are wicked as theres so many ways of doing them Big Grin

__

08-09-2008 13:51 Homepage of Ketz
void
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-10-2008

try letting the sound go on after the drop for a little bit and automate the volume to fade out quickly right as the drop happens.

quote:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think it's possible to alter the pitch of white noise since by definition it isnt a note anyway

You're right .. mostly. A note has a fundamental frequency. White noise by definition is on all frequencies at nearly equal volume.

A white noise wave form has random amplitude and wavelength values. Picture a triangle wave with each peak being at a different level and the space between peaks being random. That's a pretty simple explanation, but when it comes to audio that's typically what is meant by white noise. Although, in graphics or other fields, white noise can mean something different but I wont get into that.
12-10-2008 01:51
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » before the drop...