drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Subs n Monitors.. HELP ME!!!
Go to the bottom of this page Subs n Monitors.. HELP ME!!!
Author
Beshai

images/avatars/avatar-2626.png

Registration Date: 17-05-2008

so i have these Tannoy monitors which i grabbed for $100 bucks a couple of years ago. I find when making tunes my bass doesnt stand out. not like other PRO tunes.
maybe its mixing? maybe its my speakers.
its weird cause i can hear big bass from everything else people ahve done. but i cant get my bass to sit right in the mix. and sounds proper.
any tips or links would be appreciated.

ps.. does anyone use Krk v8s? or have used them. thinking about picking up a pair

__
hit the myspace Beshai myspace page
19-08-2008 18:12 Homepage of BESHAI
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

How much u looking at spending?

__
My Myspace
19-08-2008 22:19
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

could be a number of things really....pro tunes are mixed to a high standard and mastered....better use of eq etc to create a better mix....a better monitoring room, i.e. a small boomy-sounding room may be causing you to under-compensate your bass as it could sound loud in your room due to poor acoustics but inaudible in another....better speakers? krk are good speaker manufacturers but it depends on how much your spending cuz there are better speakers out there.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
19-08-2008 22:30 Homepage of Sephiroth
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

When listening to your tunes on myspace I noticed that the low end is really tiny, true. I suppose you listen to the pro tunes on your monitors too? Do they boom on those monitors?

What you could do... sample a pro tune where the bass is nice and load the sample into your DAW. Load a spectrum analyser (VoxengoSPAN is free and good) and check where the bass is pumping (probably between 40 and 100Hz to give a good buzz) and how high it reaches in the graph. Then do the same thing with your tune and see what differences there are. Then try to get your bass equally strong and at the same frequency.

There are several good threads on here about monitors and what everyone is using... KRK is not a bad thing to have.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-08-2008 00:16 Homepage of BattleDrone
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Which Tannoys? Which amp? Does the amp have an EQ perhaps? Do you have a subwoofer and where is it placed? How large is the room? Are the speakers placed right (keeping enough distance from walls and corners)? Do you mix at a loud volume?

If pro tracks sound great on the speakers and your own don't then changing the speakers will not make a difference.

As BD said you probably have too much bass in your system. Pro tracks will also sound extremely bass heavy. Check on headphones.

If this is the case you need to build bass traps / change the placement of the speakers / adjust the level of the subwoofer.

You should always A/B your track with pro tracks when mixing. This means to regularly alternate between listening to your own music and pro music, and checking if all the elements (kick, snare, hihat, bass, leads, reverb, ...) and bass/mid/high levels line up. If it doesn't you need to keep tweaking the knobs until it does Big Grin

Never work for more than 20 minutes on your mix before comparing to something else, because your brain adapts itself to the sound, and you won't notice if the balance goes off after a while. So your brain needs to be 'reset' from time to time with pro music. This only takes 30-60 seconds, and you will immediately hear if there is any major trouble in your mix when you switch back.

You should also alternate your monitors and/or mix level every 5 to 10 minutes. Pros have multiple monitor sets (large main monitors, one or two sets of smaller nearfields). You should have at least two monitor sets, even some cheap ass computer speakers or a pair of headphones will do. Other monitors bring out other problems in the mix. Using only one monitor pair can make you oblivious to problems in certain frequencies. The same goes with the volume. Change it often. Don't mix loud all the time but mix quiet and sometimes check it loud. If you can make it sound good on a quiet level it will sound astoundling when played loud.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-08-2008 01:44 Homepage of thechronic
BESHAI BESHAI is a male
Beshai

i have tannoy protoJ run through a sony receiver. i work on my tunes in a small ass room. which is denfitenly affecting my mixes.

I am moving in november hopefully to somehting better for my sound

any one got links to making a bass trap?

__
20-08-2008 18:21 Homepage of BESHAI
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Make your own Bass trap

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

20-08-2008 20:40 Homepage of Binary Havoc
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Djodyssey
i have tannoy protoJ run through a sony receiver. i work on my tunes in a small ass room. which is denfitenly affecting my mixes.

I am moving in november hopefully to somehting better for my sound

any one got links to making a bass trap?

Small ass room is no good for bass, I have the same problem.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-08-2008 22:04 Homepage of BattleDrone
BESHAI BESHAI is a male
Beshai

yeah fucking sucks
i found a pair of uses krk v8 for 350$ CAD each

biggups for the bass trap post

__
21-08-2008 16:50 Homepage of BESHAI
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Subs n Monitors.. HELP ME!!!