drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » umm...Where now?
Go to the bottom of this page umm...Where now?
Author
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I spent all yesterday constructing an intro made up of sound design synth work and some disgusting misuse of effects. It is truly EPIC, I shit you not. I then spent from 8pm last night to now which is 6.03am trying to figure out how this bastard drops. No Luck. Mad So I thought I'd log on and tell you guys about it Big Grin .. How many of you have got unused intros/B-lines/breakdowns/breakbeats on your hard drive that you spent ages working on and now have not a clue where to go with..?

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
12-08-2008 07:10 Homepage of c_ctrl
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

i've got loooooads of unfinished tunes, but used to haev a habit of leaving tunes more when i produced years ago (before I quit) nowadays i always try n persevere and get sumthin finished if its got vibe...unfortunately i seem to be slipping back to my old ways once again.....Frown

__

12-08-2008 09:41 Homepage of Ketz
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I abandon almost everything I start after it gets to 2-3 minutes, and I had lots of promising ideas. On the other hand starting over rather than trying to salvage a wreck yields much faster improvement... I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can just finish tunes sooner rather than later Tongue

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
12-08-2008 11:51 Homepage of Phalanx
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I don't have much unfinished stuff... in comparison to the stuff I am actively working on. I usually don't wanna leave material, as it tends to be abandoned by myself Big Grin So, that's why I don't start to work on a song until I have figured at least 50% of the tune in my mind - then I sit down beside my DAW (FL Studio) and work it out.
The rest is, of course, manipulation and creativity on the site of action Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
12-08-2008 14:07 Homepage of Muad'Dib
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

far too many. its just one of those things tho Mad

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

12-08-2008 15:03 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Just had a look in my project folders....826 projects.... 5% made it to a proper tune...maybe even less.

If I'm stuck with something I look in old projects where I achieved techniques, sounds and a lot of other knowledge that I'd forget about when not saving it.

I wouldn't delete old stuff. for me it's a great inspiration. From time to time I finish old projects or make a rehash and they turn out quite nice (that didn't happen often though).

And another pro for keeping old projects is that whenever you think you are a noob and have no skill.... check how you sounded a year or 2 ago and realize your improvement.

I totally feel your pain. It just sucks if you started some crap that sounded promising at the beginning but you are not able to finish it or to keep it on the same good sounding level.
Just a few days ago I made a killer dark intro and kickass main drums for some tune . But now I struggle with a main bassline and pretty much everything I come up with sounds shit.

I guess I’ll leave it like it is and come back in a month or two Big Grin .
12-08-2008 17:05 Homepage of Gregg
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I have, just like all of you, tons of unfinished tunes. I can only advise you to keep them, don't throw them away! It happens quite often that I listen to old stuff and notice it has more potential0 than I could imagine back then or I just get a set of new ideas by listening to it.

Often it starts with simple things like bad EQing or a bass sound i don't like and I start changing the tune. After a couple of versions the tune has changed style completely and is much longer. It does happen that I don't like the new tune one bit, so I go back to a previous version and start a new "brach". It is very important to save often and with different filenames.

Keep your sketchbook at hand!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-08-2008 17:40 Homepage of BattleDrone
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by MinasTirithGuard
I abandon almost everything I start after it gets to 2-3 minutes, and I had lots of promising ideas. On the other hand starting over rather than trying to salvage a wreck yields much faster improvement... I'm hoping I can get to a point where I can just finish tunes sooner rather than later Tongue

same as

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
12-08-2008 21:01
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Oh man i feel your pain :p

I've had so many tunes that havent got past intro stage and so many that cant make it past the first drop, ive had a bit of a block recently Frown

One cure is to paste these awesome lil creations into tunes that are already going somewhere to add the wow factor Big Grin

__
My Myspace
19-08-2008 22:36
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I often have the problem that I create a 5 minute tune and notice after some time that so many things have changed during the tune that it is actually 2 tunes which sound like they are mixed very well Frown
This typically happens when you start of with a medium idea and think it can be made good by adding a lot of changes. A strong idea will last for 5 minutes without all the additional shizzle to keep it interesting.

Typically I DON'T start with an intro, I start with 4 to 8 bars of good rolling tune and when I can make a good 64 bar piece out of that I start to think about an intro.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
19-08-2008 23:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » umm...Where now?