drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Logitech surround sound system as monitors
Go to the bottom of this page Using Logitech surround sound system as monitors
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 15-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.50

I have an logitech surround sound system, can it function as a monitor for producing?
05-08-2008 18:46
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

no. Big Grin ...simply. Its possible to do mixdowns on them but you gotta be aware that speaker manufacturers make their speakers to "colour" the sound, be it give it a little boost in the bass to make it sound heftier. you ever see those headphones with EXTRA BASS RESPONSE plastered all over them, it's like that. You'll never get a frequency flat reference to properly monitor. By all means do a few mixdowns on it and then test them out on different speakers, might sound great, might not. At some point tho, ur gonna wanna invest in some sweet as hell monitors Big Grin

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
05-08-2008 18:52 Homepage of c_ctrl
northern dawn northern dawn is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 22-07-2008

m8 get ur'self some monitors, you can really hear the difference,normal speak boost sounds like presets do on a hifi, you want flat sound so you can build it up ur'self.
you can get some cheap monitors these days i would not go under the 200 pound mark, i got a pair of Rokit5 monitors made by KRK systems from soundware
for 250 pounds and ive never looked back...logic surround speakers just wont cut it
or head phones...

http://www.soundware.co.uk
http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/sections/Speakers http://www.krksys.com/rokit/page2.html
06-08-2008 19:51
rockx
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah, i have this surround sound system. http://www.superwarehouse.com/Logitech_X...4-1403/p/333347

It does make better sounds then the speakers from my laptop. But im looking for a monitor anyways, if i come across a cheap one.
17-08-2008 19:25
rockx
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Is a an active speaker the same as a monitor? (active speaker=monitor)?

Im in need for a lot of gear, will this also will function as a monitor?
http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Music...5sasPkom-3Ozvc=
17-08-2008 20:23
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by rockx
Is a an active speaker the same as a monitor? (active speaker=monitor)?

Im in need for a lot of gear, will this also will function as a monitor?
http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Music...5sasPkom-3Ozvc=

Monitor is a speaker/s (whether headphones, or outside speakers) that you use to make mixdowns and masters on tracks (to monitor the sound). It doesn't matter if they are active or passive, as long as they are used as monitors.

Usually, studios and semi-pro to pro producers buy monitors that have a nice flat response curve on sound (that doesn't color the sound), but these are expensive.

I don't believe that you can use those speakers as monitors - as I see, they are not close-field speakers, and I don't see they guarantee a (somewhat) flat response. You might use them, but you have to do a great amount of listening of other tracks on them, so that you can catch their sound and adjust to their coloration.
Btw, you will need a good, sound-isolated walls in the room where you will put them - they will create a lot of reverb and echo when played, if not.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-08-2008 13:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Paracyte Paracyte is a male
Crazy Bouncin Sinusoid

images/avatars/avatar-2331.jpg

Registration Date: 07-12-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
[doesn't matter if they are active or passive, as long as they are used as monitors.

Active monitors got dedicated amplifiers inside the box,passive monitors needs to be hooked up with a amplifier.

just for straightning Wink

__
My Soundcloud
19-08-2008 01:40
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You cannot use just any speaker set as monitors. There is a difference in design between "monitors" and speakers intended for home listening / hifi.

Home / hifi speakers try to sound as good as possible, they will colour the sound (pump up the bass for that 'deep and warm low end', add some boost to the high end for those 'crystal clear highs') and will mask imperfections in the sound.

"Monitors" on the other hand are built to give an accurate representation of the waveform (hence the name "monitor"), they will try to sound as neutral as possible. Very good accurate monitors will confront you with every small mistake in the mix and they will force you to work hard to make it sound good.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-08-2008 02:23 Homepage of thechronic
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
You cannot use just any speaker set as monitors. There is a difference in design between "monitors" and speakers intended for home listening / hifi.

Home / hifi speakers try to sound as good as possible, they will colour the sound (pump up the bass for that 'deep and warm low end', add some boost to the high end for those 'crystal clear highs') and will mask imperfections in the sound.

"Monitors" on the other hand are built to give an accurate representation of the waveform (hence the name "monitor"), they will try to sound as neutral as possible. Very good accurate monitors will confront you with every small mistake in the mix and they will force you to work hard to make it sound good.

Nice one Chron, someone like me who has no clue on technical things now understands why my speakers (which are good but still run through an amp and are not monitors) were so high endy with a certain tune i made, even wrapped bloody toilet paper around em cuz they were pissing me off and I was getting confused why my tune sounded so different on em! lol i need to get my hands on some decent monitors now! lol

__

20-08-2008 10:02 Homepage of Ketz
rockx
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I posted in the What monitors does everybody else use topic, some monitors from musicstore between 50 -100 euro's, can someone check them out and tell me if they are awright? And wich one you would buy?
20-08-2008 13:40
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Logitech surround sound system as monitors