drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Subs
Go to the bottom of this page Subs
Author
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2588.jpg

Registration Date: 12-07-2008

Just interested, how many people are using sub woofers in their studios?

I've recently just set-up and bought a pair of Fostex PM0.5 active monitors. Whilst these sound good, clear and precise I've recently noticed that Fostex do a PM0.5 Sub, and now I'm thinking should I? shouldn't I? Any advice on this would be appreciated. (I have read the FAQ about monitors but it didn't go into subs and their benefits too much, I don't think)
05-08-2008 15:06
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

do you have any acoustic treatment in your room?

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-08-2008 17:02 Homepage of D2o
NN2
Tourist

No. I just have the PM0.5s on some quiklok 3ft monitor stands (which look pretty crap actually). My room is basically the spare bedroom which is about 10ft by 12ft ish.
05-08-2008 17:10
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

probably not a good idea to get a sub then as the room could make it really awful for monitoring and cause more problems than its worth.

http://www.marktaw.com/print/recording/Acoustics/RoomModeStandingWaveCalcu.
html

Put the measurements of you room into the calculator.

Then the numbers below are the frequencies where you will get standing waves. (read a bit on the site about them from the links near the bottom)

And by putting the measurements you gave me (guessing the hight was 10feet) in there i got some pretty troublesome readings. Especially if the ceiling is 10 feet

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-08-2008 17:59 Homepage of D2o
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Subs are quite hard to adjust for a monitoring setup.
Actually, the only reason you would need a sub is to hear the ultra-low frequencies. For example, if your regular monitors have their -3dB point at 53Hz, you could stretch it up to say 30Hz with a sub.

You will need to set up the sub correctly and precisely: the volume output of your sub should be exactly the same as the output of your speakers, and the cutoff frequency of your sub should be adjusted so that you don't get a boost in the part of the frequency spectrum where both your speakers and sub give some output.
In order to do this properly, you would need a very high quality audio spectrum analyzer, send some white noise to your speakers, and adjust for flat frequency response on the spectrum analyser, compensating any non-linearity the frequency analyzer or its microphone might have. Another solution would be if they sell complete sets with speakers and sub allready adjusted from factory.Pretty much like the "matched pairs" you can buy for some high-end speakers etc.

Next to that there is indeed the matter of standing waves, as Ghost pointed out. This can be improved by using some sound absorbing materials on the walls though and carefully choosing your speaker locations.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
05-08-2008 20:37 Homepage of djfreemc
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i wouldnt bother with a sub (unless your mixing sound for film or anything like that)...those monitors are pretty decent and sound pretty clear....id take the money you would have spent on the sub and get some bass traps and other acoustic treatments to tone down the 'boominess' of the room as its pretty small....i did have a link for an rt60 (reverberation time) program that shows you long it takes sound to decay in your room...absorbant materials will help tame that too aswell as standing waves.....plus if your speakers are posistioned too close to the walls, its gonna cause more 'boominess'...so id forget a sub, read up on basic home acoustics and get some treatment...will improve the sound of the room much more than a sub imo

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
05-08-2008 21:06 Homepage of Sephiroth
NN2
Tourist

Shit man! the whole accoustics thing gets pretty heavy! my room measures (l) 3.7m x (w) 2.8m x (h) 2.7m. Not sure what to make of the frequencies returned by the calculator though Confused I need to read a book about it. I'll ditch the sub idea as I wasn't keen anyway. Definately spend the money on accoustic treatment, or perhaps at the moment some more plug-ins Pleased I did manage to create (or synthesize Tongue ) a sick sub bass that was dancing nicely around 50 to 75Hz the other night and it was pretty good through these tiny 0.5s. I'll be happy to concentrate on making sounds for now!

Cheers.
05-08-2008 23:39
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Subs