drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Battle of the hardware synth's. which do i choose ?
Go to the bottom of this page Battle of the hardware synth's. which do i choose ?
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 22-07-2008

im thinking of getting my hands on a good hardware synth but moogs are great and korgs are to not to metion the access polar t1 virus..
can anyone shed some light on this situation for me...?...
25-07-2008 18:10
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

The Virus TI is sweet for pads and atmosphere and effects. Not so easy to make grimey bass on it .. Virus B or C would do that better. I'm afraid I can't help you with anything else because thats all I've ever used!

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
25-07-2008 18:43 Homepage of c_ctrl
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by c_ctrl
The Virus TI is sweet for pads and atmosphere and effects. Not so easy to make grimey bass on it .. Virus B or C would do that better. I'm afraid I can't help you with anything else because thats all I've ever used!

are you serious?

i bet i could make a grimey bassline outta one.

One synth i was looking at for myself was the waldorf Blofeld

Looks nice, aparently sounds nice and its has the nice price of only £350

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-07-2008 18:51 Homepage of D2o
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Haha I bet you could mate, but you could make it in half the time on a B or C and bets are it would sound even grimeyaaar. This is just what i've found to be the case, not saying I'm right or wrong in this one. Waldorf.. I forgot about them! they make good synths. My mate has a micro Q i think and it was dirt cheap on ebay and makes the greatest atmospheric soundscapes imaginable.

__
25-07-2008 21:21 Homepage of c_ctrl
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah the blodfeld is new from them and combines some of the best bits from their old synths.

3xosc two of which can be wavetable and its got two filters which are supposed to be the nuts and can be routed in whatever way you want, has a nice little graphical screen for editing envelopes etc and the modulation all round is supposed to be good

im really tempted by it

although the idea of the new Virus Snow Ti is quite nice, buts its like 450 quid more

__

25-07-2008 21:33 Homepage of D2o
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I just youtubed it and yep it sounds badass. seems very good for textures, plus it looks sweet as hell aswell could it do leads and basses as well as it does pads? ..I spose its just a matter of fucking around with the oscillators right? I'd be tempted if i hadn't just quit my job haha. Hey, northern dawn, get the waldorf and a second hand virus B off ebay Big Grin

__
25-07-2008 21:48 Homepage of c_ctrl
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by c_ctrl
get the waldorf and a second hand virus B off ebay Big Grin

That'd be pretty hefty combo Drummer

__

25-07-2008 22:04 Homepage of D2o
northern dawn northern dawn is a male
Tourist

nice 1 lads sounds good,im gonna look into it. a guy i no in newcastle dj phobia from renegade hardware tell me to buy a second hand virus off ebay say that prob all im ever gonna need but more kit sounds better im gonna price it all now,
cheers dudes... Smile
25-07-2008 22:45
northern dawn northern dawn is a male
Tourist

Features:
up to 25 voices, expandable up to 75 voices
16 part multi timbral
300 single programs
100 multi programs
20 drummaps
7 endless dials
16 buttons for editing
2 x 20 character display
6 analog outputs (3 stereo outs)
2 analog inputs (1 stereo in)
MIDI In/Out/Thru
color: classic blue

Per Voice:
up to 5 Oscillators per voice: Pulse with Pulse Width Modulation, Sawtooth, Triangle, Sine, 2 wavetables with 128 waves each and suboscillator per alt-wave
Oscillator FM
Noise generator
Ring Modulator
Mixer with Balance, each signal source (oscillator, noise, ringmod, external audio material) can be balanced individually between filter 1 and filter 2
2 Filters (serial and parallel routing switchable), different types, all including FM and distortion:
Low Pass (12dB/24dB)
Band Pass (12dB/24dB)
High Pass (12dB/24dB)
Notch (12dB/24dB)
Comb Filter (positive/negative feedback)

Modulation Matrix with 16 slots, freely routable
Pre-routed Modulation destinations, sources selectable
modulation update frequency in audio range to allow the oscillators to be used as modulation sources
4 Modifiers
Arpeggiator with user pattern, including accents, timing information, swing, glide, chords and more
3 LFOs up to audio range
4 envelopes, enhanced ADSR configuration with loop and one shot function, bipolar
different trigger modes for each envelope, poly, mono, dual, unisono, manual trigger etc.
2 individual high-quality effects per single program, up to 5 effects in total in Multimode

Effect Types:
Reverb
2 x Surround Delay
Chorus
Flanger
Phaser
Distortion
Delay
5 FX
Vocoder with 25 bands
and lots lots more...
25-07-2008 22:55
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Battle of the hardware synth's. which do i choose ?