drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Ganja and Producing
Go to the bottom of this page Ganja and Producing
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

Ez peeps, thought I'd start this wee lil thread here as I saw it was goin off-topic on the alias thread and this is somethin i wanted to talk about as Philbee and 2Clix got me thinkin with their comments on there...

Basically I've had a love / hate relationship with ganj - I smoked day in day out between the ages of 18 and 23 thats 5 years of constantly being stoned Spliff looking back I regret smoking so much when I was at the peak of my youth and I became lazy and didn't go out and socialize as much as I should have (especially at uni, coulda pulled a lot more birds on the piss! lol) so thats the hate bit that feel it took over my life and I in effect "lost" (depending on how i look at it) all those years.

Heres the love bit! Wink weed and drug culture in general introduced me to drum n bass (not exactly but u know what i mean, it went with the lifestyle at that age, kinda complimented it, choons, bein stoned, feelin the rhythm etc etc) and i met loads of "safe" (yes i still say it nowadays safe bruv lol) people who i am still very close with, without ganj (plus e's etc), i would not have been half as passionate about dnb at that time as i was (i was a raver - doh!) i used to love experimenting on FL stoned - just feelin the vibes of makin my very own first beat and synth melody, DJin too etc

I completely stopped smokin weed at 23, and started drinking very heavily, in fact im not ashamed to say that I became a proper alcoholic for a good while and(i guess i transferred my addiction to booze lol - "hi my name is Ketz and I'm an alcoholic" Big Grin ) wasn't funny at the time but thats another story... so yeah between 23 and 26 i didn't smoke any weed and completely stopped producing and even DJin in some ways made up for all those "lost" years smokin just went out loads partyin. A good mate of mine tempted me with a joint then after 3 long years, I started smokin again, back with my long lost love Big Grin Rasta and this in turn led me back to producing late last year so to the ganj i am thankful for gettin me back into music production and for keepin me outta trouble (ie avoiding gettin my face kicked in when i was pissed)

Ironically now I am tryin to say goodbye to ganj as despite lovin it so much (and i don't disrespect anyone smokin weed and producing - a lot of the big names still do it, even look at poor ol Grooverider, he always has a joint when mixin wheverever he goes). But i am doing it as i've started taking a more scientific approach to producin, need to pay more attention and "be with it" and try not to listen to the same loop without doin anything for like 2 hrs lol (cmon im not the only one whos done that right????!!! Anyways, I'm hoping that this sacrifice will help me better my music (not to say I can't enjoy the odd Spliff on the odd weekend with a nice cuppa tea - we'll see...just not when im makin tunes..!

Anyone else got any stories to share of this nature? love / hate ganj / producing / DJin / advice / experiences? pretty open ended i guess...or will it jus be me on ma jack jones on this thread?! lol Smile

__

15-07-2008 17:00 Homepage of Ketz
philbee philbee is a male
Future beats for the streets

images/avatars/avatar-2742.jpg

Registration Date: 18-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
Ez peeps, thought I'd start this wee lil thread here as I saw it was goin off-topic on the alias thread and this is somethin i wanted to talk about as Philbee and 2Clix got me thinkin with their comments on there...

Basically I've had a love / hate relationship with ganj - I smoked day in day out between the ages of 18 and 23 thats 5 years of constantly being stoned Spliff looking back I regret smoking so much when I was at the peak of my youth and I became lazy and didn't go out and socialize as much as I should have (especially at uni, coulda pulled a lot more birds on the piss! lol) so thats the hate bit that feel it took over my life and I in effect "lost" (depending on how i look at it) all those years.

Heres the love bit! Wink weed and drug culture in general introduced me to drum n bass (not exactly but u know what i mean, it went with the lifestyle at that age, kinda complimented it, choons, bein stoned, feelin the rhythm etc etc) and i met loads of "safe" (yes i still say it nowadays safe bruv lol) people who i am still very close with, without ganj (plus e's etc), i would not have been half as passionate about dnb at that time as i was (i was a raver - doh!) i used to love experimenting on FL stoned - just feelin the vibes of makin my very own first beat and synth melody, DJin too etc

I completely stopped smokin weed at 23, and started drinking very heavily, in fact im not ashamed to say that I became a proper alcoholic for a good while and(i guess i transferred my addiction to booze lol - "hi my name is Ketz and I'm an alcoholic" Big Grin ) wasn't funny at the time but thats another story... so yeah between 23 and 26 i didn't smoke any weed and completely stopped producing and even DJin in some ways made up for all those "lost" years smokin just went out loads partyin. A good mate of mine tempted me with a joint then after 3 long years, I started smokin again, back with my long lost love Big Grin Rasta and this in turn led me back to producing late last year so to the ganj i am thankful for gettin me back into music production and for keepin me outta trouble (ie avoiding gettin my face kicked in when i was pissed)

Ironically now I am tryin to say goodbye to ganj as despite lovin it so much (and i don't disrespect anyone smokin weed and producing - a lot of the big names still do it, even look at poor ol Grooverider, he always has a joint when mixin wheverever he goes). But i am doing it as i've started taking a more scientific approach to producin, need to pay more attention and "be with it" and try not to listen to the same loop without doin anything for like 2 hrs lol (cmon im not the only one whos done that right????!!! Anyways, I'm hoping that this sacrifice will help me better my music (not to say I can't enjoy the odd Spliff on the odd weekend with a nice cuppa tea - we'll see...just not when im makin tunes..!

Anyone else got any stories to share of this nature? love / hate ganj / producing / DJin / advice / experiences? pretty open ended i guess...or will it jus be me on ma jack jones on this thread?! lol Smile

It sounds like we are very similar people ketz, as my story is very similar in many wayz to yours man, i did use to smoke ALOT of weed and solid and i was cross addicted to alcohol in fact acohol was probably my down fall!!!,i was in rehab for a while because of it and am still a regular attender of certain meetings,
but to be honest my weed comsumpsion never really effected my music ,my drinking did infact it effected all facultys of my life,and to tbh,since i havent done either my music life and who'll outlook has improved!
but i take my hat of to anyone who can control this sort of shit cause i cant!!
and i am a great believer that i would not be doing what am i am now if i didnt have the past that i had so i regret nothing!! Drummer

__
Philbee Soundcloud
15-07-2008 17:30 Homepage of philbee
Scorn
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Dont get me started on the drink, shit, I drink way to much, to the point I dont even get drunk now ( which cant be good ) seriously need to stop I think.

On the ganja front, had my first weed joint for 15 years the other week, didnt help me produce coz I couldnt even lift my head up for two hours, I was fucked I tell the fucked.

Drink does help me produce tho, gives me a better ear I think. Tongue

__

15-07-2008 17:43
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Well kinda the same story as ketz and phil but im 23 and still heavy on both...well been chillin on drinking in excess lately, 2, 3 beers after work, couple bowl packs and I start playing with sounds, as I find it to be very enjoyable, plus it gives me the random creativity thats all twisted and distorted...love it Drummer
but yea ganj has gotten me into a lot of trouble in the past, got snagged by the 5s when I was 15 with a q.p. which led to community service, probation, fines, juvy records... and the drink has gotten me 2 totaled cars a trip to the hospital then straight to the drunk tank, gotten the shit kicked out of me, kicked the shit out of people on the drink, almost went home with a fake female(trans gendered)
fuck man I could go on...
but I regret nothing as smoking,tripping,rolling all that stuff thats bad for you got me into the world of drum n bass as well, so a big thanks goes out to my lil green friend who has kept me sane for all these years Kiss Spliff Rasta Drink Hug

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
15-07-2008 18:45
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by 2clix
Well kinda the same story as ketz and phil but im 23 and still heavy on both...well been chillin on drinking in excess lately, 2, 3 beers after work, couple bowl packs and I start playing with sounds, as I find it to be very enjoyable, plus it gives me the random creativity thats all twisted and distorted...love it Drummer
but yea ganj has gotten me into a lot of trouble in the past, got snagged by the 5s when I was 15 with a q.p. which led to community service, probation, fines, juvy records... and the drink has gotten me 2 totaled cars a trip to the hospital then straight to the drunk tank, gotten the shit kicked out of me, kicked the shit out of people on the drink, almost went home with a fake female(trans gendered)
fuck man I could go on...
but I regret nothing as smoking,tripping,rolling all that stuff thats bad for you got me into the world of drum n bass as well, so a big thanks goes out to my lil green friend who has kept me sane for all these years Kiss Spliff Rasta Drink Hug

haha yeah man bein on a level can certainly affect what kinda music u make, dare i say u continue doin that to make that crazy unique sound of urs man?! but yeah back in uni i had this lovely bong with a twist in it, used to fill it with crushed ice during the summer - pure heaven! lol

@ Scorn - lol! that can't be good that u not gettin drunk no mo!!!! Big Grin nutter Wink

__

16-07-2008 10:10 Homepage of Ketz
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

@ Scorn - lol! that can't be good that u not gettin drunk no mo!!!! Big Grin nutter Wink

yeh thats not good when stuff aint effecting you any more, i used to be bang on ketimin and when your going through loads of the stuff and the effects are barely noticible. that was the time i knew it had gone to far, plus i got well sketchy. id never recommend taking something thats made to knock out a horse! theres some even stronger stuff aswell made for knocking out hippos or rhinos. Personally i like producing sober, i find that i get a lot more done and work quicker, but i like to be stoned when finishing off the tune, i find i get a lot more into it and notice those tiny errors more

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
16-07-2008 21:19
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

What's with people and drug use?! Confused I never needed a drug (except nicotine, which I quited 2 years before). hmmm...
And don't tell me you don't need it, because you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't use it.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
17-07-2008 02:25 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
What's with people and drug use?! Confused I never needed a drug (except nicotine, which I quited 2 years before). hmmm...
And don't tell me you don't need it, because you do. If you didn't, you wouldn't use it.

lol

chill out man.

Why do people have to get all high and mighty and be like " oh i dont need drugs to have a good time cuz im amazing...blahblah "

and no i dont need it, saying that is just plain ignorant

if you ever dropped an E at a rave you'd soon realise why people do it

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 17-07-2008 02:34.

17-07-2008 02:31 Homepage of D2o
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

quote:
try not to listen to the same loop without doin anything for like 2 hrs lol (cmon im not the only one whos done that right????!!!

i end up doing that all the time and I've never smoked a joint in my life, lol
17-07-2008 04:18
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

@ Cheesy Poof - lol thas funny mate! the trick is to actually click the mouse or hit a button on the keyboard - its a start Big Grin Big Grin

yeah Ghost is right, no need to get high n mighty bout the whole drug thing, peeps need to realise that DnB and drugs are intertwined in a big way, especially for raves, it is simply an undeniable fact, not to say a lot of people don't take drugs and can't still enjoy the music and be just as passionate (i actually respect those people a lot! just don't like it when they take the high ground and frown upon us "lesser human beings"), i am pretty much off most things now (except nicotine like Muad i hope to quit that lol) but drugs played a major part in my love affair with DnB in my early years and I don't regret that one bit Bigup

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 17-07-2008 11:04.

17-07-2008 09:31 Homepage of Ketz
additive additive is a male
DROP IT!

images/avatars/avatar-2973.png

Registration Date: 09-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 

Don't drink alcohol or have cocaine whilst producing. Both have a very adverse and negative effect on one's frequency, dynamic range, and spatial perception.

For Alcohol-

I cite the Oxford Journals : http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/34/5/741

Also, BioMed Central:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/article...i?artid=2031886

For Cocaine-

Springerlink Articles:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/p242145j52n47k96/

As far as I know, Marijuana doesn't have any adverse affect on the perception of frequency or dynamic range.

__
http://www.additivemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/additive-music/497601575363?ref=ts
17-07-2008 09:56 Homepage of additive
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

i dont think that any of us need to do drugs to be able to produce. if someone wants to smoke a joint, have a couple of beers or go about it sober while they are producing, then its their own choice, they are producing for there own pleasure and in their own time so who cares what they do, its their own business.

@ ketz yeh i would agree that drugs n dnb are intertwined to a certain degree but i dont agree with it when people see dnb, techno, hardcore etc as the route cause for drug use as the people taking drugs wont just take them cause they listen to dnb techno etc or because they are going to a rave, they will take them because thats what they enjoy doing and they will take them when ever. i smoke weed everyday because i enjoy it, not because i listen to dnb

@ Ghost, im not condoning it but if he did take an e at a rave he would see why people would do it, but then again you can have just a good a time getting pissed up at a rave. up and till this year i had never been to a rave without taking anything and thought that it would be completely pointless goin to a rave with out taking anything but when i took a girl i was with at the time, i didnt want to be gurning my face off so i just got pissed up and still had just a good time. I must admit though, i dont enjou going to a rave completely sober, i cant really get into it that much,

@ anyone thats not taken drugs, im not saying that drugs are good but unless you have taken them its hard to comment on how bad they are. fair play for not taking them, but in my opinion and im sure its the same opinion as everyone else that has taken drugs is that having a line of charlie or a bomb of mdma is just the same as having a few beers only it is illegal. People take drugs for the same reason as people have a beer only the effects are slighlty different. I think its up to each individual to decide on what they want to do, its not for other people to judge on what others do. Remember beer is a drug too

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
17-07-2008 15:21
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06
i dont think that any of us need to do drugs to be able to produce. if someone wants to smoke a joint, have a couple of beers or go about it sober while they are producing, then its their own choice, they are producing for there own pleasure and in their own time so who cares what they do, its their own business.

... People take drugs for the same reason as people have a beer only the effects are slighlty different. I think its up to each individual to decide on what they want to do, its not for other people to judge on what others do.

Exactly! Spot on kid.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
17-07-2008 18:21 Homepage of Tomos
technetiumzk technetiumzk is a male
Super-Duper Rad Funky

images/avatars/avatar-2589.png

Registration Date: 21-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I would reply but I don't think I should say anything... too young XD
All I'm gunna say is that I've never produced while on substances.

__
LOL Rockin
im 14, deal with it.
17-07-2008 21:48 Homepage of technetiumzk
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

Spliff Drink is cool for producing for me ,
but just not to much or it will fuck up a track i worked on so hard and at the end i would still save it Frown

and i hate cigarettes , thats the baddest drug ever , but im addicted to it ...

and worldwide people and laws should be more fit for marijuana usage , whats the deal anyway with the illigalisation , its just a herb
17-07-2008 23:51
Timmi Timmi is a male
Atmos T (aka Timmi)

Registration Date: 04-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

has anyone done pills whilst producing?

__
www.myspace.com/atmostuk

Atmos T - You See Me EP Out now 4 free download Smile
** http://www.sendspace.com/file/6q3frj **
18-07-2008 00:38 Homepage of Timmi
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06
but then again you can have just a good a time getting pissed up at a rave

I know that mate,

having done my first pill just before my 15th birthday and going out raving to either clubs or field/warehouse parties for sometime afterwards i got a bit bored of it and just stopped doing any class a's for a few years, didn't even drink all that much so i was pretty much sober when i used to go out.

i still dont do class a's much now, only once or twice a year and those are the only times i smoke weed any more as well

__

18-07-2008 00:45 Homepage of D2o
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Timmi
has anyone done pills whilst producing?

iv not done them specifically to make beats but come back from a rave before a bit mashed and tried to have a go.

Screen blurriness b2b with just playing riffs on the keyboard with a fat bass patch meant it was fairly un-productive Big Grin

__

18-07-2008 00:46 Homepage of D2o
Timmi Timmi is a male
Atmos T (aka Timmi)

Registration Date: 04-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

haha, i bet u had fun tho!

__
www.myspace.com/atmostuk

Atmos T - You See Me EP Out now 4 free download Smile
** http://www.sendspace.com/file/6q3frj **
18-07-2008 02:31 Homepage of Timmi
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Greyone
Spliff Drink is cool for producing for me ,
but just not to much or it will fuck up a track i worked on so hard and at the end i would still save it Frown

and i hate cigarettes , thats the baddest drug ever , but im addicted to it ...

and worldwide people and laws should be more fit for marijuana usage , whats the deal anyway with the illigalisation , its just a herb

yep what grey said to the T

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
18-07-2008 06:24
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Ganja and Producing