Registration Date: 12-07-2008

Ez peeps,

I've only been playing for about a 6 wks now and have the following;

Cubase Studio 4,
z3ta+
rob papens predator

some effects processors incl.
Camel Audio's Phat
and something like LUXOR LM-1310 (or whatever, I think it was a freebie)

I've been using the drum kits that come with Cubases HalionOne freebie, and whilst there are some good sounds there (with the help of some effects) I am starting to look at what else is available. I was reading a pretty angry thread somewhere about peoples fustrations with NI's Battery, so am not sure about that. Was wondering what people were using, for the dnb sounds. Do people use drum synths or are all the drum sounds mainly sampled banks? Any help wba. Also perhaps some suggestions for other useful vsts would be cool man.

Cheers,

Mark.
14-07-2008 11:36
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

audio samples. just put them str8 into cubase and build your beats like that it works for me. and most dnb procers ive seen in tutorials etc.

look for the computer music, chase and status tutorial theres a link on here sumwhere
it really helped with my drums.
29-09-2008 15:51
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by NN2
Do people use drum synths or are all the drum sounds mainly sampled banks? Any help wba.

No drumsynths, that would sound way too synthetic/robotic and no samplebanks either.
Drums is a very delicate and specific subject in DnB.
Collect as many breakbeat samples as possible, they are the start of everything.
Get some bunches of kicks and snares and some percussion packs as well.

Browse through your breakbeats and if you find anything you like you should load it into a beatslicer VST so you can make your own patterns with it.
You can layer or replace the kick and snares in the break by with/by your own kicks and snares to give the drums a personal touch and let the kick and snare push trough the general mix of your tune.

In the beginning I thought I would create my drums all by myself, but when you are starting this is almost impossible as it takes time to understand the whole DnB drum thing. You should think of a breakbeat as a very well sampled drumkit which is very suitable for the style you want to make.

If you are unsure about how to move on, try to use the amen break to create some patterns, it is "the mother of all breakbeats" and it is quite easy to create some good drum patterns with it.
It took me several years to be able to create a good drumline which was made up out of single hits only so don't expect to be able to do this overnight.

Happy drumming Drummer

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-09-2008 16:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by NN2
Do people use drum synths or are all the drum sounds mainly sampled banks? Any help wba.

No drumsynths, that would sound way too synthetic/robotic and no samplebanks either.
Drums is a very delicate and specific subject in DnB.
Collect as many breakbeat samples as possible, they are the start of everything.
Get some bunches of kicks and snares and some percussion packs as well.

Browse through your breakbeats and if you find anything you like you should load it into a beatslicer VST so you can make your own patterns with it.
You can layer or replace the kick and snares in the break by with/by your own kicks and snares to give the drums a personal touch and let the kick and snare push trough the general mix of your tune.

In the beginning I thought I would create my drums all by myself, but when you are starting this is almost impossible as it takes time to understand the whole DnB drum thing. You should think of a breakbeat as a very well sampled drumkit which is very suitable for the style you want to make.

If you are unsure about how to move on, try to use the amen break to create some patterns, it is "the mother of all breakbeats" and it is quite easy to create some good drum patterns with it.
It took me several years to be able to create a good drumline which was made up out of single hits only so don't expect to be able to do this overnight.

Happy drumming Drummer

i was just about to say all that, lol

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 29-09-2008 17:54.

29-09-2008 17:53
Invent Invent is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by NN2
I was reading a pretty angry thread somewhere about peoples fustrations with NI's Battery, so am not sure about that.

I love Battery, its one of the best drum machines ever. Its kinda heavy tho so i hope one day they will release something like the reason drum machine as a vst so the load is not as heavy. for the more minimal drums... I guess their frustrations come from the inhability to use the program functionally! because it works great when you master it
01-10-2008 14:42 Homepage of Invent
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

quote:
No drumsynths, that would sound way too synthetic/robotic

Isn't that a bit subjective?

I like sythesized drums very much!

it gives a nice flat sound, without to much harmonics, excellent for processing!! Smile

Or no processing at all can give also nice results

I like drums sounds "unnatural"

I also like the more acoustic sounds, or a mix...

ask yourself what fits best in your project

it's all a matter of flavor of course...
01-10-2008 17:03
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Plugins » drums n ting