drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drum Frequencies
Go to the bottom of this page Drum Frequencies
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 17-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hi every1
I'm confused..... Ive been using kicks in the 120hz type range in order to make room for the sub bass. It sounds all good and well, but Ive recently been listening to pendulem, and it seems to me that most of their kicks thump in at around the 60hz range. (I may be wrong, but thats how it sounds to me.) ...anyway their kicks and sub seem almost married..punchy and crisp.
Pendulem arent the only example of this.
Basically I have tried using kicks in this freq range but they allways conflict with the sub.
....Am I wrong?....are their kicks not hitting at this freq?...is it just a trick of sound created by the technique they used? or am I simple?
.......does every1 here use higher frequency kicks?
Has any1 here used lower freq kicks with pleasing results?

and 1 more thing......does every1 normalize their drums.

ok... thats it...cheerz Smile
15-06-2008 21:55
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

pendulum probably do use lower kicks sometimes but they wouldnt be as low as 60Hz. more likely to be 80hz(ish) and they probably use some side chain to help them sit better, or just not have any bass notes when the kick plays.

Get a pendulum track (the one you think it hits down really low) Sweep a very narrow boosted band of eq around that area and you should be able to hear where the kick sits in the frequency spectrum.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

15-06-2008 23:14 Homepage of D2o
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by Lejitt
Hi every1
I'm confused..... Ive been using kicks in the 120hz type range in order to make room for the sub bass. It sounds all good and well, but Ive recently been listening to pendulem, and it seems to me that most of their kicks thump in at around the 60hz range. (I may be wrong, but thats how it sounds to me.) ...anyway their kicks and sub seem almost married..punchy and crisp.
Pendulem arent the only example of this.
Basically I have tried using kicks in this freq range but they allways conflict with the sub.
....Am I wrong?....are their kicks not hitting at this freq?...is it just a trick of sound created by the technique they used? or am I simple?
.......does every1 here use higher frequency kicks?
Has any1 here used lower freq kicks with pleasing results?

and 1 more thing......does every1 normalize their drums.

ok... thats it...cheerz Smile

It's Witchcraft.

__
My Myspace
16-06-2008 17:58

Helpfulness rating: 

I think it's just very clever compression and sidechaining...

Actually I wonder if they use comb fliters at the low frequencies so the kick and the bass can be present in interlocking but not overlapping comb 'teeth'

hmm...

__
My Myspace
16-06-2008 18:00
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
Actually I wonder if they use comb fliters at the low frequencies so the kick and the bass can be present in interlocking but not overlapping comb 'teeth'

Doped

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
16-06-2008 18:15 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
I think it's just very clever compression and sidechaining...

hmm...

My money is on sidechaining or active EQing though Happy

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
16-06-2008 19:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Lejitt Lejitt is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Good idea Ghost Smile I never thought of that one, nice.
Im interested in the whole comb filter thing aswell, Ill have to check that little puppy out Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
29-06-2008 19:03
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

With pendulum its gotta be side-chaining i think, although that comb filter point plague cell said makes sense too....hard to pull i reckon tho, lots of fiddling. if you get voxengo span u can isolate certain frequency areas by holding CTRL and draggin over the desired area, you can hear the effect then of the kick/ bass hitting at the same time. but its probably not jus side-chaining, im sure professional mastering makes a big difference to it too, with equipment worth thousands (or more) working perfectly....either that or witchcraft Wink

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
29-06-2008 19:50 Homepage of Sephiroth
Lejitt Lejitt is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Nice.....
by the sound of it I might need to polish up on my witchcraft 2.
haha Big Grin Big Grin
29-06-2008 20:33
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hmmm, i have never heard of this comb filtering before, is it slightly boosting or lowering alternate frequencies in lower end of the kick and bass, e.g. so say for a simple example the kick may be as follows 60hz +1db 80hz -1db, 100hz +1db and the bass may be 60hz -1db, 80hz - +1db, 100hz -1db. i know that it would depend on the samples exactly how much you would cut/boost it by, but i hope you get the general idea with what i am asking

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
29-06-2008 20:39
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

It's Witchcraft.

hmmm not so good on my witchcraft Frown how about wizardry?

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
29-06-2008 20:43
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06
hmmm, i have never heard of this comb filtering before, is it slightly boosting or lowering alternate frequencies in lower end of the kick and bass, e.g. so say for a simple example the kick may be as follows 60hz +1db 80hz -1db, 100hz +1db and the bass may be 60hz -1db, 80hz - +1db, 100hz -1db. i know that it would depend on the samples exactly how much you would cut/boost it by, but i hope you get the general idea with what i am asking

yeh i think thats the general idea, its just peaks and dips in the frequency responses on a kick drum and a sub sound for example with regular spacing i suppose. im not too sure too be honest, never really looked into it, pretty advanced stuff me thinks...... Confused

__

29-06-2008 21:27 Homepage of Sephiroth
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

its all in the mastering , you punch it all to the 0dB line

mastering is incredible
29-06-2008 22:45
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Greyone

mastering is incredible

cant argue with that, incredible is a slight under statement tho, and all you need to do it to the standard of professionals is thousands and thousands of pounds worth of equipment, an acoustically (near) perfect room, a few different immense monitoring set-ups, a thorough understanding of compression, limiting, eq, creating stereo width etc and years of mastering experience.....not forgetting a very polished mixdown too........not so hard to do.... Crying
ah well....back to fingers crossed for hitting the jackpot on the lottery then Big Grin

__

29-06-2008 23:27 Homepage of Sephiroth

Helpfulness rating: 

I wasn't particularly serious about the comb filter thing :p Sure you can give it a go, but i think it'd only be useful for being able to brag about such a strange production technique afterwards and sound clever :p

Besides, if you use it you would need to actively change the filter frequency so the changing bass notes dont ever sit on top of the kick drum's comb teeth, and in doing that you may end up filtering out the kicks fundamental frequency Tongue

Although, a clever plugin might be a good idea for anyone who did wanna try it, with something like prioritising correct portrayal of one signal over another (like the kick, so the thump doesnt get filtered out, and the capability to have a brick wall filter if one should choose... might make for some interesting sounds :p

__
My Myspace
30-06-2008 10:29

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06

I'm sure you're familiar with the shapes of low pass, high pass and band pass filters?

the lines that roll off depending on the type of filter to represent how it uses the sounds it works with?

a comb filter is like lots of narrow band pass filters side by side, so they look like the teeth of a hair comb. I guess band reject would work too Smile

They're pretty strange sounding if you've never heard one before, they can effectively be used to display frequencies in a harmonic series, and filter the rest out, so they can be good for cleaning up dodgy samples, or even creating something musical from a sample with internal dissonance (white noise can be filtered this way and the result is a ghostly whine, really cool sounding)

__
My Myspace
30-06-2008 10:36
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Drum Frequencies