drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » passive pa boxes with dual woofer
Go to the bottom of this page passive pa boxes with dual woofer
Author
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 23-03-2006

ok tell me boys what is the catch here

Is it the ? inch compression driver or is it just a very cheap piece of junk?
10-06-2008 14:48
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Several catches, actually the specs are so bad I can hardly believe they are correct.

- First of all, being passive speakers it's evident that you also need to buy amps for them
- "SPL MAX 90dB" - 90dB is not enough for anything except quiet background music in a restaurant
- 1600W of power for 90dB of sound pressure is very, very bad. You will fry your amps!!
- they are incredibly large (1m70 high Shocked )
- seeing that they use 3 types of connectors puts them firmly in the amateur market, pro gear will usually have speakon (NL4) sockets, often XLR sockets, never jack sockets and certainly not "terminals" (read: bare wires Roll Eyes - at full power output you will not only fry your amps but also yourself if you touch these)

Just to show you how bad these specs are, a typical professional small speaker system (example: Martin Audio W8LM) will give you 100dB @ 1 watt, compare that to 90dB @ 1600 watt, if these specs are correct it wastes like 2000x as much power from your amps.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-06-2008 15:40 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

In that price range take a look at Mackie C200 passive speakers: http://www.mackie.com/products/c200/

Mind that they are much smaller, but also much louder.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-06-2008 16:04 Homepage of thechronic
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

- The 1600W are stated as "maximum".
Never trust such claims, always look at RMS values.
Reason: there is no standardized way to measure maximum output, here they use a factor 2 compared to the RMS, but I have also seen other companies use factors of 1,5 or 2,5 or even 10!

- allthough RMS values usually are not "added", but mentioned per speaker, I have seen several companies rating the "total RMS". I believe this is also the case here, so those will probably be 400W per speaker.

- As Thechronic allready pointed out, dB values are usually given per watt, and also the distance at which this is measured, usually one meter.
A good example would be: 80dBspl/W @ 1m

Reason why the measuring distance should always be mentioned: using a point source (ideal form of speaker for ease of calculation), the sound pressure would decrease by 6dB as the distance doubles.
So if a system gives 100dB @ 1m, this would be decreased to 94dB @ 2m, 88dB@ 4m, .... you get the point.
If measurements would be done @ 0.5m, which could be the case if the distance is not mentioned, this would give you only 94dB @ 1m, 88@ 2m, and 82@ 4m....

Offtopic: this is also why line array systems are interesting for bigger events. Because they are not a point source, but act as a line source, the sound pressure decreases only 3 dB per double distance, so you need less power to cover the same area.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 11-06-2008 20:15.

11-06-2008 20:02 Homepage of djfreemc
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » passive pa boxes with dual woofer