drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Poll - producing when sober
Poll: When you produce?
Or you're just an extreme talented straight edge porducer 25 44.64%
You smoke weed, to get in an upper dimension. 17 30.36%
You only drink, but in an extreme amount 8 14.29%
You drink and smoke weed, to get those beatz rolling 4 7.14%
You think about hot girls and try to make your music hotter as them. 2 3.57%
Total: 56 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Poll - producing when sober
Author
Tryptech

Registration Date: 16-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.63

Just answer

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

30-05-2008 22:57 Homepage of tryptech
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I think when you smoke you can pay more attention to the finer details of sound, and have a wikkid good time doing it... nothings bland at all.

when drinking is involved not really the same its sorta like " ya ok this sounds good enough" and the next day your like what the fuck is this speedy gonzales sample, did I actually think that sounded good Confused

you should always be thinking of hot girls no matter what Big Grin

smoking and drinking, might as well goto a party and talk to hot girls, add another one under your belt, ya dig Tongue

But the best way to produce is a tie between sober and the ganj

my 2 cents anyway

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
31-05-2008 00:10
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Weirdest poll award!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
31-05-2008 00:53 Homepage of BattleDrone
tryptech tryptech is a male
Tryptech

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks battle, im weird as hell specially during the exams.

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

31-05-2008 16:23 Homepage of tryptech
tryptech tryptech is a male
Tryptech

Helpfulness rating: 

nice answers 2 clixx, you really thought bout it?
Big Grin

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

31-05-2008 16:24 Homepage of tryptech
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Used to love smokin up when producing.

Kinda got stuck in a routine with the green when ever i turned on the pc!

2clix is spot on when he says you can focus on the sounds in more deatail, but these ays my good lady disaproves, and thats all that matters.

Would rather have her than a bag of sticky weed... (cant believe i just said that, but its true..) lol

__
My Sounds
31-05-2008 20:22
2clix 2clix is a male
Doctor Obvious

images/avatars/avatar-3239.jpg

Registration Date: 17-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

Sucks you cant smokith-ith, but you prolly have a far better thing than most can imagine... yep, new question to the poll.....

is it better to have a bangin ass girlfriend support your producing or all of the above Big Grin

__
Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
01-06-2008 06:37
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I'm gonna be boring here and declare myelf I'm in the straight camp when it comes to producing. I enjoy a tipple and I love producing but I never normally mix the two. It's been about 8 years since I've done weed, so that's off the menu right now. Tbh tho, if I had my own supply I'd probably replace the alcohol with the weed cos it's much better for your mind and it'd probably be great for creative inspiration. Oh well.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
01-06-2008 09:22 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I'm the king of boredom here...
never drink alcohol, never did weed or any other drug.

Never forget that drugs (including alcohol) in combination with loud music = ear damage.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-06-2008 10:43 Homepage of BattleDrone
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

haha - u n ur ears eh BD! nah seriously tho - big ups on starting the other thread about protecting them - i actually went and bought some ear plugs 2 days ago cos of it - now i dont have the usuall sunday tinitus.

anyways - i dont do anything when i am producing - i used to but then i found that most of me tunes sounded like parp - im into the real pumping, in ur face stuff but when i was smoking i only tended to make chilled stuff. when i produce i wanna be clean and with it cos i spend less time faffing about but when its finished i wanna listen to it loud and with a good bottle of laguvin 16, yeh.....

but yeh, at 2clix - good question but i rekon that if u have a girlfriend who aint into drum n bass then when you make a tune she likes you know u r onto a winner. but ye, having a girlfriend definately beats anything that madam palm and her five lady friends could come up with imo.

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
01-06-2008 15:51 Homepage of Shinyuri
BConstruct
Tourist

Registration Date: 26-05-2008

if your a druggie then ur get high at any occasion, if you're clean cut then ur production requires nothing but ur creativity.........drugs will kill ya...good luck stoners..
01-06-2008 23:59
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

Interesting topic............personally, Ive not smoked weed for a long time but used to smoke a lot when writing. Very enjoyable but generally gives you an overated sense of how good your tune is and generally when Id listen back straight, what Id written would be mostly garbage.

Same goes for alcohol, better for listening than for writing

If a tune sounds kicking when your totally sober, it'll never sound worse when you're not.

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

02-06-2008 07:27 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I'm the king of boredom here...
never drink alcohol, never did weed or any other drug.

Never forget that drugs (including alcohol) in combination with loud music = ear damage.

Exactly, me too. I beat myself for getting on to cigarettes again now, but I am winning the fight against them (again) Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
02-06-2008 09:59 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

here's my view on the matter - used to smoke a lot years ago when I first started makin tunes, and the more stoned I was the less productive I would be, it got to the point where I would listen to the same loop for an hour and do nothing to it cuz I got that lazy!

I actually quit smokin ganj for like 3 years, but I also stopped producing cuz the creativity went.... nowadays I make tunes between being mildy stoned to being sober. BH has agood point, sometimes ur tune can sound good when ur stoned and crap when ur sober, I find just that touch of being stoned will get my creative juices flowin but not so much that I don't get too lazy - so its always a fine balance I always try n acheive nowadays.

oh and booze - I dont drink when makin tunes, nothing works, plus when I drink I want more - so I keep that for going out or the pub Big Grin

__

02-06-2008 10:37 Homepage of Ketz
Kinexion Kinexion is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 11-05-2004

From time to time im buzzed in some form or another, but generally Im stone sober when Im doin beats... it helps kill my boredom and accell my creativity...
You just have to get in the zone. Years ago I puffed alot, and whatever else. But like dude said, after a while, you think what you hear is so dank, which its always better to master when sober. Fo sho.

__
http://www.tagworld.com/kinexion http://www.soundclick.com/kinexion
02-06-2008 21:32
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

sound design - sober

sequencing - high

Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
02-06-2008 23:57 Homepage of cynik
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

High Contrast inspires me. Wink
07-06-2008 07:27
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

i smoke pot. lots of it. only for sound design tho. the sequencing i try to be sober. wow Cynik. we are exact opposites. Big Grin

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
07-06-2008 13:44 Homepage of Arkitekt
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I had a few glasses of red wine last night at home (purely for health reasons you understand Wink ) and because I haven't touch a drink for a while I found myself suprisingly drunk-ish. Anyway, I put the headphones on and tried to do some reviews... but I just couldn't concentrate on anything. My judgement was waaay impaired - someone could have looped a fart sample for 5 minutes and I would have thought it was genius. I couldn't concentrate on the structure either and I couldn't tell whether the sounds were clear or not. Alcohol really does impair your ability to hear details. So trying to review tunes was a lost cause, and I gave up. The more clear-headed and sober you are when producing, the better, imo.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
07-06-2008 16:36 Homepage of Tomos
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I never tried smoking for the longest time because I was afraid I would really enjoy it and keep going.

The first time I ever got high, I went out with some friends and saw The Golden Compass. It was wicked, and afterwards I set out on a mission to write an "epic movie score" with a bunch of soundfonts. After a couple hours I came up with this:

http://minas.dreamhosters.com/Epic%20Mov...re%20EDIT_5.mp3

That got me hooked. For the past five months or so I've been smoking a bit, usually working on some sort of art or music every time. As soon as the ganja leaves me too lazy to work, I'm going to stop.

I think the best combo is to come up with riffs while high and then build the song while sober.

I rarely drink; when I do I can't concentrate on anything.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Phalanx: 08-06-2008 10:35.

08-06-2008 10:33 Homepage of Phalanx
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Poll - producing when sober