drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How should I use reverb?
Go to the bottom of this page How should I use reverb?
Author
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

ez peeps! im not a massive fan of reverb, i tend to add just a touch to my kicks and snares, do you use reverb much and what do you use it on? i know a lot of hardstyle producers use reverb a hell of a lot to help fill out their tracks so i was wondering if you use this technique to help give your tunes a little bit of depth?

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
20-05-2008 17:41
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I usually add reverb to FX and some of the synth sounds to give them extra atmosphere. I try not to add it to the snare or the kick because there's always a danger of adding too much, causing them to muddy the mix. I also don't normally use much on the bass either.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
20-05-2008 18:09 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I never use it on drums, they should be dry imo.
vocals, leads, fx can be better when they have a bit of reverb, but too much will ruin things. Only on the FX it can be applied massively.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-05-2008 19:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

reverb really can be a make or break effect and its easy to do wrong.

try to think of your mix as a 3 dimensional thing. You got hight which is frequency. width which is pan, then depth which is achieved with reverb and delays.

the sounds you want closer sounding you use less reverb, kicks snares etc. stuff in the middle, maybe some synths and keys then the stuff in the back like fx and pads maybe. (these are just examples by the way)

for the front sounds use a short reverb which is quite bright and with early reflections, for the middle ground use a slightly longer reverb and have it a bit duller maybe a plate setting here, and for the back use like a hall setting with top end rolled off with a longer tail.

And then you send each sound to a certain reverb depending on how you want the sound sit in the mix, either upfront, in the middle or right at the back.
If you want to place sound in between send some sounds to two of them. also automating the sends to each to bring things out as well as send sounds back into a mix can work really well too.

Again i reiterate these are just examples and it can be VERY easy to overdo it.

this is something someone shown me a while back and it really helped me.

I do use it on drums (but not kick really unless im after a certain effect), i find it can add a little stereo interest to the snares and the hats. especially if the beat is quite minimal or has a simple rhythm.

anyway hope that helps. Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

20-05-2008 21:33 Homepage of D2o
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

cheers for your advise lads, will put it into practise straight away

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
20-05-2008 22:23
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I never use it on drums, they should be dry imo.
vocals, leads, fx can be better when they have a bit of reverb, but too much will ruin things. Only on the FX it can be applied massively.

Sometimes a snare or a kick can benefit from a reverb, as it adds a bit to its' presence. But I agree they should be left mostly dry.
I might even add a reverb to a crash or other cymbals, giving them space in the mix (especially if they're panned, as I like them to be).

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-05-2008 02:25 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

I use reverb on FX loads (and delay but thats another story) - its really good for creating atmosphere and help the FX sounds fit into the mix. As for drums on the odd ocassion I will apply just a touch (when I first started producing I over-used it and you can't overdo it on the drums as they lose their "punchiness").

Again, on synths good for adding that extra bit of depth, even on synth leads that accompany basslines (good when you take the drums out and the synth is heard on its own - it can sound too dry at times so it gives that extra bit of room)

Finally it works well IMO on vocals (again complemented with delay)

Always best to experiment - different amounts work in different situations! Wink

__

21-05-2008 10:44 Homepage of Ketz
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How should I use reverb?