drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » Views on the new Pendulum album?
Go to the bottom of this page Views on the new Pendulum album?
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

Eazy peeps, I was just listening to the new Pendulum album in my car on my lunch break... considering their 2005 album in my opinion was very well produced (esp the DnB tunes - and the fact that the majority of tunes were in fact DnB) - wouldn't it be safe to say that they have completely sold out on this new album??

I was listening to it and have to say really dissapointed as I really respect the production values (and yes the production is good but the vibes has become so cheesy that I almost felt sick Frown ) Most the tunes are much slower, haven't really heard a proper DnB track on it yet (haven't finished listening to it completely yet though)

All of a sudden I'm seeing adverts on the TV for them saying that they are "the next Prodigy" - which I totally disagree with as Prodigy, even when they got well commercial still managed to maintain a dark underground vibe to their music.

Anyways, just curious as to what everyones views on this matter are...!

__

20-05-2008 14:05 Homepage of Ketz
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

what msakes the pendulum thing worse, is the fact that they , at one point (somewhere a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away),
were absolutely fucking brilliant!!!

and now, well..... lol, just lol

shame Frown

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
20-05-2008 15:12
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Personally, I have never really liked pendullum. I was in Perth before they made it 'big' and was introduced to there stuff by some friends of theirs in perth. It just didn't grab me. Pretty strange really, cos I used to be a punk/metal head aswell as raver...

As for prodigy. Used to love there first album and also jilted generation. After the fire starter business, I lost interest...

I suspect, without sounding nasty, that Aussie/New Zealand (apparently concord dawn are calling it a day soon) d'n'b is just another passing fad. A bit like the South American stuff many years back. Obviously certain producers will still have a bit of interest, but most will fall by the road side. Before I get slated, I would like to say, there are some fantastic Dub/reggae bands in NZ also producing d'n'b of a more original style, which sadly, is very much ignored...

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by brucifer: 20-05-2008 15:27.

20-05-2008 15:23
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

@ 7G / Bruce:

Yeah I agree with you both!! I guess thats what happens when you start seeing commercial success - just totally sell out and forget where you came from! It IS such a shame as I remember their really early stuff was so good, they were at the cutting edge of Drum n Bass.

You can't really call them a punk / fusion outfit, as the vocals are so cheesy its more like teeny bopper pop music, the worst thing is I was in HMV on the weekend and this guy was looking at their new album and telling his gal - yeah have you heard of these guys? their absolutely brilliant I was listening to their stuff earlier (as if they were the find of the century or sumthin!) Confused

yeah Bruce - Progidy the 1st 2 albums are wicked (infact I got into them the other way round - heard their recent stuff when I was about 16, then noly when I got into DnB at 18 did I got back and get the first few albums which I thought were amazing)

what a shame about DnB being a passing fad down there - but u know it will always be alive here in the UK - the birthplace of DnB Rinse u got any links for these unappreciated artists? might have a listen...

__

20-05-2008 15:49 Homepage of Ketz
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

they are glitter and glamour bitches now Frown

i got into dnb because : Pedulum - Masochist , but soon i lost interest because theire sound changed to the well know cheese
20-05-2008 18:33
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Ok, I better come clean - I really like the new Pendu album... Is that wrong? Red Face Tongue

I definitely agree that they can no longer be described as a dnb outfit tho. The beats on the new album are basically just simple rock beats. I suspect that is because they intend to play these tunes on the road with a live drummer (and a pretty lazy one at that Big Grin )

But I still think there's at least 4 or 5 decent tunes there, especially tracks 2 and 10, which are good rock tracks. They've obviously been influenced by the likes of Muse, Rage Against the Machine, Tool... all of whom I really like. There's a few crap tunes, but all in all, I do like the album.

* Awaits getting his head duffed in for airing unacceptable views *

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
20-05-2008 18:37 Homepage of Tomos
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

I thought maybe I better make this shizzle shorter before someone decides to sue me for eye strain. Wink !

Ok so in a nutshell ...
I´m glad I didn´t pre order the special edition album from the Uk.
Spain + €€€ conversion = lot of my money down the shitter.
That´s what Dad´s in the UK with pirate cd emporiums are for Smile !

So I´ve listened to the new pendulum album lots of times and I´ve only just started liking a few tracks off of it ...
Personally it´s too rock orientated for my taste.

I have the first album "hold you color" + all the bootlegs, remixes, unreleased and rare tracks on my playlist todovia.

One of my favorite tracks still being "Coma".

I expected them to make another ambiental DnB bass voyage and instead they make ROCK !
For that I was disappointed in the new album. "In [bloody] Silico".

As for the drummer being lazy and what not.
Isn´t it still the same drummer they´ve had since they started playing live !?

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Sentinel: 20-05-2008 19:26.

20-05-2008 18:59 Homepage of Sentinel
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
Ok, I better come clean - I really like the new Pendu album... Is that wrong? Red Face Tongue

kapooowww! Big Grin

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
21-05-2008 02:22
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Seven Gun
quote:
Originally posted by Tomos

kapooowww! Big Grin

lol!!! but I ain't gna cuss anyone for their musical taste, I used to be into rock music myself (well more like heavy metal) when I was in my teens, and I still appreciate some rock music today, I still feel that the album is super cheesy, you never know if I listen to it enough it may grow on me??!!

__

21-05-2008 09:46 Homepage of Ketz
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I havent listened to any of it yet, and to be honest im not sure i want too.

I really love hold your colour, think its an amazing album and i think this may ruin it for me.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

21-05-2008 10:45 Homepage of D2o
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
I havent listened to any of it yet, and to be honest im not sure i want too.

I really love hold your colour, think its an amazing album and i think this may ruin it for me.

Aye probably will ...

My views of Pendulum have changed upon listening to the new album !

Not for the better either !

__

21-05-2008 16:16 Homepage of Sentinel
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Seven Gun

kapooowww! Big Grin

Ouch! Ya dirty bitch slapper.

Tongue

__
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
21-05-2008 18:12 Homepage of Tomos
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

I agree with many of you; Pendulum was a great DnB group, and I still luv some of their tracks like Trail of Sevens, Follower, Ulterior Motive, Vault, Parameter, Spiral and those.
Hold Your Colour was a good (not great) album too: IMO Still Grey is a wicked tune (sadly, its not on the 2nd edition). Then things went wrong... Propane Nightmares is just plain bad. Lucky that the VIP of it remix is good. =D

TheSentinel: I thought Coma was a track by the earlier Pendulum from the mid 90's? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_%28Ambient_Band%29

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Puzzle: 28-05-2008 15:40.

28-05-2008 15:37 Homepage of Puzzle
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

Well fuck me ...

That came in a torrent file I downloaded with all the pendulum rare tracks and remixes.

So I kind of figured it was them but aye never mind !!!

Still a good ambi-vibe track !!

And the group was called Pendulum anyways and they are from the same bloody country and walking distance apart.

I like ambiental music too as well as DnB and DubStep.

But never the less, I´m still not feeling the rock vibe on the new Pendulum album !

__

28-05-2008 16:20 Homepage of Sentinel
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I don't like it.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
28-05-2008 21:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

i have to say i like it aswell.....

the stuff is catchy, very cheesey but catchy - the production is top notch and i cant fault their technical excellence. yeh it is common for bands who started as underground and who became succesful to sell out but im sure theyre not losing any sleep about it. i would fukin love to reach that level - leave the "all boy" raves to start playing massive concerts with loads of sweaty women.....yes....plus all the cash which will be rolling in must help ease the pain.

anyways, cheesey as it is, it still aint easy to make, specially with their level of eqing and production skillz - thats probly the main reason why i like em.

yeh the tv ads tho - thats their record label and not them personally doing it - lame when they do but hey thats just commercial music.

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
06-06-2008 10:05 Homepage of Shinyuri
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

if its about the money, if i was in the same position i'd probably go for the cash too now that i think about it! (but it would have to be a lot of money lol) oh and a few groupies may sway me as well Big Grin

__

06-06-2008 16:37 Homepage of Ketz
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i cant stand pendulum anymore, used to love them, there remix of bacteria is a classic, now they are just a joke. have briefly heard some of the new tunes on the radio in the car but that only lasted about 4 seconds - well the time it took my hand to get from the stearing wheel to the stereo to put some real dnb on. it makes me laugh when walking down the street or in a crappy pub or bar you hear normal people (not saying we are not normal but u must no wot i mean) talking about pendulum and how they 'love' dnb now because of them, yet if you was to play them some propa dark tech stuff or some old skool jungle they would probably say, urrrgh wots that turn it off. I wonder how long it takes for other artists to follow this extremely cheesy path, i can see fresh and subfocus going that way, they are kinda getting there. ive not even listen to their new album, there is a slim to no chance of me listening cos with out even listenin to it i can say this album stinks of cathedral city extra mature chedder cheese.

rant over

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
09-06-2008 18:49
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06
i cant stand pendulum anymore, used to love them, there remix of bacteria is a classic, now they are just a joke. have briefly heard some of the new tunes on the radio in the car but that only lasted about 4 seconds - well the time it took my hand to get from the stearing wheel to the stereo to put some real dnb on. it makes me laugh when walking down the street or in a crappy pub or bar you hear normal people (not saying we are not normal but u must no wot i mean) talking about pendulum and how they 'love' dnb now because of them, yet if you was to play them some propa dark tech stuff or some old skool jungle they would probably say, urrrgh wots that turn it off. I wonder how long it takes for other artists to follow this extremely cheesy path, i can see fresh and subfocus going that way, they are kinda getting there. ive not even listen to their new album, there is a slim to no chance of me listening cos with out even listenin to it i can say this album stinks of cathedral city extra mature chedder cheese.

rant over

Can't say I agree with that. Obviously you're not a Pendu fan but if you haven't heard the album, how can you be so sure it's as bad as you think? Sounds like you've already decided you hate it. So they're basically a rock-n-bass band now and they appeal to non-dnb fans - so what, doesn't matter really. For rock fans such as myself, the new Pendu album is definitely no bad thing. And even if you're not into them, they do at least bring a modest amount of money and interest into the scene, and spread the dnb gospel to people who would never normally give dnb a second thought. So it's not all bad. Big Grin

__
09-06-2008 19:23 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

The name Pendulum isn't original either.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-06-2008 00:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » Views on the new Pendulum album?