drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Ableton Live » Looking for Ableton plugin
Go to the bottom of this page Looking for Ableton plugin
Author

Registration Date: 08-11-2007

Hello,

I've worked a long time with FruityLoops. The problem is everything I create sounds really "fruitylooplike". So I now have Ableton Live 7 and I am looking for a plugin that is like the piano roll in FL.
I have a lot of samples and bass .wav files. I want to create melodies with them but it isn't working in Ableton. I tried slicing the sample and when I change the notes in the piano roll (I don't know what the name of it is in Ableton) there is no sound because the sample is only availeble in one note of the piano roll.
Changing the pitch of the sample is not an option because making a melody like that would be hard.

So I'm looking for some kind of plugin that let's you create melodies with .wav samples.

Thanks
18-05-2008 21:42
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Dude, I think you would be better of with a manual...
It can't be that you need a plugin to play notes.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-05-2008 23:40 Homepage of BattleDrone
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Why don´t you ReWire both the programs together !?
Then you can get the best of both !!

0ot. The manual helps too.
I have ableton 7 but I´ve not used it has of such yet.
I prefer Reason.

The only I tried using ableton for so far was to setup the midi inputs and outputs via emu xmidi cable to see if I could control some external hardware ...
But alas I think the midi in socket is buggered on the es1 as only the output seems to respond and I can´t sync it to any other hardware without using it as the master control via midi out.

Buggery.

Yes, Yes back to the point.
The manual is always the best reference point as much as one hates manuals my self included they have their uses ! Wink

__

19-05-2008 02:30 Homepage of Sentinel
Rick

Well, I've read the manual. If you work with Midi-files, there is no problem. The Piano roll is easy to use.

My Problem is that I'm using .wav files and Ableton doesn't automaticaly transpose the tones so it can be used in a melody, made in the piano roll.

An option would be a plugin where I can insert a .wav file and where I can manually transpose the sample to different locations within the same piano roll. Then I can create a melody with the basic sample and the transposed samples.

Example: I have a wavsample that is a basstone, the note C and it lasts exactly 1 second. I transpose the sample manually (or the plugin does this itself, which would be ideal) to a D, an E, ... In the piano roll it would be then easy to create a melody.
I Haven't been able to find how to do this in Ableton and I don't think it is possible, without creating seperate clips where the sample has been differently transposed (one clip in C, one in D, ...) where I let the seperate clips play at the exact moment to create a melody. This would be really hard and it would take too much time. There has to be an easier way.

It's very difficult to explain this without knowing what everything is called, so maybe I can ask it differently:

If there are people here who create melodies with wavsamples (that consists only of one note) in Ableton, how do you do it?

If you compare it to FruityLoops, you just drag a wavsample in a channel and if you create a melody in the piano roll, FL will automatically transpose the sample but Ableton doesn't do this.

I hope somebody can help, because I've read the manual and I haven't found an online tutorial that explains how to do this. It's really frustrating because it's really easy to do this in FruityLoops (which I don't want to use anymore).
19-05-2008 22:03
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

put them in the sampler?

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
19-05-2008 22:08 Homepage of Soi
Rick

quote:
Originally posted by Soi
put them in the sampler?

Still the same problem, only the basenote works, other notes don't produce sound.
19-05-2008 22:50
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Soi
put them in the sampler?

Still the same problem, only the basenote works, other notes don't produce sound.

so you've loaded up a sampler, put in a wave-file, doubleclicked the midi-clip, did see a pianoroll and inserted midinotes at different keynotes but only heard the basenote?
because that would be really weird...

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
19-05-2008 23:39 Homepage of Soi
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Soi
quote:
Originally posted by Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Soi
put them in the sampler?

so you've loaded up a sampler, put in a wave-file, doubleclicked the midi-clip, did see a pianoroll and inserted midinotes at different keynotes but only heard the basenote?
because that would be really weird...

Yeah that would be weird ...

I just added a sampler, dropped a bass .wav into where it says drop sample here ...
Clicked the "zone" tab and shortened the the range from c1 to c5.

I used the computer keyboard to play notes.
I left the "midi in" section on the sampler as "midi from all ins" & "all channels".

I can hear the notes transposing just fine.
The root note is on c3.
Try keys "A" through "L" on the computer keyboard.

I´ve hardly any experience with Ableton at all but it seems to be working ok for me and I believe we have the same version no ... Ableton live 7.0.3 !?

You should have got Reason or Cubase instead eh.

__

20-05-2008 01:27 Homepage of Sentinel
Rick

Yes, I did this.

Now I realised that my keyboard isn't gvinig any signals (the piano keys don't change to red if you press a "d" for example).
I guess the problem will be somewhere with my MIDIcontroller.
I'll try to fiddle with the options and if that doesn't work I'll reinstall Ableton and hope that does work.

Right, thanks for the help.

TheSentinel: You think Reason is better than Ableton? Maybe I'll look if I can find someone who has this and I might try that one out.
20-05-2008 12:11
Rick

Yes! I reinstalled, everything's working.

Thanks.
20-05-2008 12:25
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

Everyone has their prefered tastes as to what DAW they prefer to create music with.

I´ve tried FL but it wasn´t really to my liking besides for some reason FL8 doesn´t seem to want to work with new laptop.

Ableton I got a lite version free with my m-audio keyrig 49.
I´ve got Live 7 now but I´m not too keen on it.
I think I´ll only ReWire with it if I need to use plugins as Reason does NOT support VsTi´s.

Cubase I haven´t tried yet but I would like to give it a bash.

Now Reason is something else nah.
It´s a hardware fetishists wet dream. 0ot. Wink
Basically it´s a virtual music production tool that simulates real hardware as closely as possible. - Hence the reason why the peeps at Prop heads don´t support VST´s.

You can flip from the front of the hardware boxes and mixers where the modulation controls are to the back where the audio and cv mod cables are.
Yes you have to wire everything up just like real hardware - but that´s half the fun nah !? ...
+ you can automate just about everything and anything.

Personally I like Reason the most.
But as I said you have to find which DAW you are most comfortable with.

Good to hear you solved the problem with Ableton live.
But remember as LIVE insunuates Ableton Live is meant for Live Performances more than producing music!

__

20-05-2008 18:43 Homepage of Sentinel
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Ableton Live » Looking for Ableton plugin