drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » What synthesizers do you/the Pro's use?
Go to the bottom of this page What synthesizers do you/the Pro's use?
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by TheSentinel
quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
I think I bought Cubase for like £250 - £300 back then..... yeah Ableton and Reason is cool, my mate works this dude who is signed to a DnB label and he uses that set up (although I would have thought he must have a fair bit of hardware with him - I'm trying to find out, in fact I'm trying to get this guy to listen to my tunes!! lol)

Lmao !!!

I just had to give a load of hardware back to a friend !
He´s broke as buggery so he´s selling the lot ...

I´d have bought some of it but he´s asking way too much for it !!!

I´m sure some idiot on ebay will pay the asking price though !
More fool them Tongue Bleh !

man Reason is a good starting point as its such an all round package, I guess learn your trade thru that, and when u get better, star investing in stuff that u can rewire!

__

23-05-2008 17:45 Homepage of Ketz
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheSentinel
quote:
I think I bought Cubase for like £250 - £300 back then..... yeah Ableton and Reason is cool, my mate works this dude who is signed to a DnB label and he uses that set up (although I would have thought he must have a fair bit of hardware with him - I'm trying to find out, in fact I'm trying to get this guy to listen to my tunes!! lol)

Lmao !!!

I just had to give a load of hardware back to a friend !
He´s broke as buggery so he´s selling the lot ...

I´d have bought some of it but he´s asking way too much for it !!!

I´m sure some idiot on ebay will pay the asking price though !
More fool them Tongue Bleh !

man Reason is a good starting point as its such an all round package, I guess learn your trade thru that, and when u get better, star investing in stuff that u can rewire!

I have stuff I can ReWire with already ...
It´s just a pain in the arse to ReWire is all !

__

23-05-2008 18:31 Homepage of Sentinel
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

easy now, my 2 cents is this, just use reason for the time being and get shit hot on it, its the best way if u r strapped for cash. the only synth i ever use is malstrom and works just fine for me. i used to use all analogue synths but the time taken up on plugging them all in and messing around with them is just a pain in the arse. however if you want some good, solid, cheap synths go for either the

Korg ms2000 (used to have one of these and the mental sounds that u can get for the price are just awesome.)

or the

Roland JP8000 (again, used to have one and the sounds are just sickness if u use it right)

both of the synths can be found second hand for a reasonable price, have loads of knobs for mashing your sounds up and come with good old japanese reliability.

tbh tho, just load up reason, load a combinator, compressor,maximiser,mixer,6 malstroms (all detuned and playing different sounds), load a scream unit outside of the combinator, add a unison, filter unit and then eq it. instant big fukin bass!

peace

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
24-05-2008 07:10 Homepage of Shinyuri
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Shinyuri
tbh tho, just load up reason, load a combinator, compressor,maximiser,mixer,6 malstroms (all detuned and playing different sounds), load a scream unit outside of the combinator, add a unison, filter unit and then eq it. instant big fukin bass!

HaHa ...

Yeah ...

I´m working on a 3 malstrom wobble combi at the moment.

I think the combinator could really do with more modulation knobs though ...
There aren´t enough for what I´m wanting to make !
Dammit !

8 at least for the minimum.

__

24-05-2008 14:51 Homepage of Sentinel

Helpfulness rating: 

if u want to modulate more stuff of the synths in the combinator, load up a sequencer track and load up the synth u want to modulate and just use the automation abiltiy of the sequencer. if you want to change the same stuff just copy and paste. umm, did all of that make sense?

peace

__

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
25-05-2008 06:50 Homepage of Shinyuri
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

quote:
if u want to modulate more stuff of the synths in the combinator, load up a sequencer track and load up the synth u want to modulate and just use the automation abiltiy of the sequencer. if you want to change the same stuff just copy and paste. umm, did all of that make sense?

peace

perfect. because i do it all the time in R4.

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
25-05-2008 10:50 Homepage of Arkitekt
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

quote:
Korg ms2000 (used to have one of these and the mental sounds that u can get for the price are just awesome.)

hows this synth for bass? ive heard mixed reviews on it. but they are very affordable on ebay or otherwise. cheapest Roland jp8000 i found was 700USD compared to 300-400USD for the Korg. im on a budget see.

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
25-05-2008 10:53 Homepage of Arkitekt
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

peace

Yeah man makes perfect sense as that´s what I already do ya know.

Copy, Paste, Repeat, Layer. Big Grin
HeHe.

I´m just saying it would be nice if the Combinator had more mod knobs though !

*edit: You can add pretty much anything you like to the sequencer track ...
Not just the synths but the fx boxes and well pretty much anything.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sentinel: 25-05-2008 15:16.

25-05-2008 15:14 Homepage of Sentinel

Helpfulness rating: 

copy, paste, repeat, layer! u know that is the bassis for big soundage! yeh true say about it needing more knobage tho - mind u, i only figured out how the knobs work the other day!

anyways, @ arkitekt - yeh the ms2000 was sweet as for bass man, warm phat sounds, or dirty tearing harsh screams, or ultra clean techno type stuff - it could do it all m8. u might have to fiddle around a bit until u can get the most out of it but in the end i actually preferered this synth to the jp8000. the way you can control the lfo is just complete hairy nutbar! yeh i know about all the mixed reviews, personally i dont know why it ever gets bad ones - its sooo cheap for what it can do - i think all the reviewers are comparing it to moogs or sequential circuits or one of the fukin expensive synths on the market and they seem to forget completely about the price. one of the bad things that i noticed was that the knobs and the keys felt a bit cheapo but well, having meaty knobs isnt the point of a synth is it eh? soundwise i couldnt fault it. oops, went on a bit of a rant but yeh - the best synth reviewer on the net is this one imo;

www.vintagesynth.com

look for it on there - it gives it a good review. 4.6 out of 5

btw - what kind of sythn do u want? something for bass yeh? do u need it to be a midi controller too? if u dont need midi and u r just looking for a good cheap bass machine go for this one,

Yamaha sk20

its almost 30 years old now and i dont where u r but i managed to get one of these for 20 english pounds in japan and the warmth that this thing produces is just amazing for the cash. mind u this is more set up for wobble producers - the cutoff control is real sweet but thats pretty much all it does! btw its not a synth but more of an organ.

anyways - since getting reason 3 i never actually used any outboard synths! the sound that comes from outboard synths is better but it just takes up your time i rekon - personal preference tho.

peace

__

26-05-2008 07:46 Homepage of Shinyuri
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:

anyways - since getting reason 3 i never actually used any outboard synths! the sound that comes from outboard synths is better but it just takes up your time i rekon - personal preference tho

yeah I agree with that mate, I got a K5 Novation synth in my set up but hardly use it - its a lot more work than programming stuff in Reason which is a lot easier to manage, I do use it as a MIDI now and again to experiment with melodies but then u gta record it, get it spot on etc etc so really I'm back to where I sarted off lol!

__

27-05-2008 17:00 Homepage of Ketz
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

it's a shame I didn't notice this thread before!
Woulda been a bit better if we actually found out what hardware synths the producers use though, lol!
Anyone know what the Prodigy use? I like their first two albums LOADS! In fact I've got the first on vinyl now.

I've posted a thread in this section about me getting a Korg Microkorg - please read it if you have a Microkorg!

__
CtMc Cool
27-03-2010 21:57
pusha
waveform molester

images/avatars/avatar-2985.jpg

Registration Date: 07-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.14

ditto on that battle even tho im a reason user lol

__
buy the ticket take the ride
28-03-2010 10:48
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

me too.. I use 4 now

__
CtMc Cool
28-03-2010 13:34
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I have got a Kawai K4 digital synth, it has a good filter which includes resonance; amplitude modulation and up to 4 'oscillators' can be used per patch. It's a cool synth which can provide modern sorta pads or stabs etc. BUT mine is broken, anyone able to recommend what I should do? I really want to get it working again...

That post about learning how to best use your available software/hardware is perfectly true. You can get some really good sound if you just put the effort in.

What I used to do a lot is go onto YouTube and listen to the various synths out there. Some demonstrations are good, some aren't so good.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jexus

__
CtMc Cool
14-01-2011 14:13
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

i got a very old midi controller with a pitch wheel and another knob which has long been forgotten and which doesnt work anymore, but its great for trying out chords etc.
getting a new midi controller soon from a friend (on loan) which has a sick modulation abbility (u move your hand open or close it and it controlls a filter 0.0)
and has a drum pad init
no idea what brand/model it is but when i do you'll hear it

__

The One - Age Break
05-02-2011 15:57
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » What synthesizers do you/the Pro's use?