drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Opinion about mixing two or more genres in one track.
Go to the bottom of this page Opinion about mixing two or more genres in one track.
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 23-01-2008

Hello all, after a little bit long time Smile

I have one poll you guys.

What are you thinking while making drum n bass music, darkstep, wreckstep etc. mixing well let's say hardcore techno's samples in the dnb track? Is it pushing and trying own limits or just novice mistake?

I've been creating this one track for a while now and I got this idea of create a hardcore lead sound in the track. What are you guys thinking about that? Tongue

Cheers, Janne
15-05-2008 22:52
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

It depends really. Without hearing your idea, it's impossible to say whether you're on the right track or not. Obviously, DNB has a long history of incoporating non-DNB styles so I don't think there's any reason why you can't incorporate techno. It all depends on whether it sounds good - if it does, you're doing the right thing, if it doesn't, then you're better off ditching the idea.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
15-05-2008 23:11 Homepage of Tomos
dn_nb
Tourist

Registration Date: 23-01-2008

Heh, I will upload tomorrow in this thread my point of view about this subject so you can see what I mean. Smile

Im off to bed, NN all!
16-05-2008 00:03
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

cross-genre-gender-bending ftw

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

16-05-2008 00:12 Homepage of D2o
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

give it a go and see how it turns out, music would never go anywhere if us the producers didnt experiment and try new things. imo drum and bass is probably the genre most suited to mixing and matching with other genres. all genres are an offset from other genres such as rock n roll being a child from blues, modern dnb as we know it from jungle and old skool hardcore. im sure that you have heard dnb with insperations from all spectrums such as jazz, metal etc and very commonly from ragga/reggae. i cant think of any tunes with a techno feel off the top of my head but im sure it has been done before so give it a go!!! music is about experimentation.

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
18-05-2008 15:59
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I am doing this almost every time. I always mix 2 or more genres or types of dnb into my songs (too bad I didn't post any new stuff lately). I personally don't feel fulfilled when driving the same thing the whole damned song.
I even 'invented' a new 'genre', the 3-step. It is basically mixing minimum of 3 types of dnb into 1 song (Phunk is my 22 / 7 name is an example).

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
19-05-2008 00:29 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by dn_nb
Hello all, after a little bit long time Smile

I have one poll you guys.

What are you thinking while making drum n bass music, darkstep, wreckstep etc. mixing well let's say hardcore techno's samples in the dnb track? Is it pushing and trying own limits or just novice mistake?

I've been creating this one track for a while now and I got this idea of create a hardcore lead sound in the track. What are you guys thinking about that? Tongue

Cheers, Janne

what u mean is dnb like these artists :
The DJ Producer , Panacea , Teknoist , DJ Hidden , etc...

or not ?
19-05-2008 01:19
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

the way I like to look at it... there are no limits on art... do what sounds good to you... but just know, that everyone's a critic, and if you blend too many styles, you run the risk of being label "experimental"... which isn't a bad thing... but suprising the dance floor is not a bad thing...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
19-05-2008 10:04 Homepage of J.Rabbit
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

all compostition is merely a matter of personal judgement, there are certain rules about harmony and structure, but ethics can only be judged subjectively

so judge for yourself, does the sound fit in the track, does it make it complete, or does it destroy the vibe you had going on
does it enhance or does it destruct ... is the only question at hand

__
It's a spiritual thing !

24-05-2008 16:19
BConstruct
Tourist

Registration Date: 26-05-2008

Drummer AS FAR AS I KNOW THE TRUE GENIOUS ARE THE ONEs WHO recreate styles buy using influences from all walks of lifes i.e.

Pendulum -Future step, DnB, Rock, Tech Step , everything.
New Deal -Jazz,House, Trip, Hop, Funk, Dub,Electro, everything.
Led Zeppelin -Hard Rock, Blues, Pyscadelic, Melodic,everything.
Prodigy -Big beat,Jungle,Break Beat,Techno , everything.
Most Hip Hop Beats - Electronica Oriented , everything.

and many more...

The point im trying to make is that music really doenst have a genre ,we as thinking creatures give it that in order to feel we have control of its forces.

Essentially we dont ....When I make music I Make music! What do you make?
Drummer
26-05-2008 20:32
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Opinion about mixing two or more genres in one track.