drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » What's everyone's beef with wobble?
Go to the bottom of this page What's everyone's beef with wobble?
Author
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

What is with everyone's beef with wobble? I mean, wobble (or clownstep if you wanna be a dick about it) is my fav. - however, I appreciate all types of dnb, along with all types of electronic music and I would never bash another type of dnb... even that sound clashy tech.step that all the dark minded kids dig... I've just been catching shit from some people... Is it just a UK thing or is there some underlying issue that I'm not seeing, I just like unique basslines... so what's up people's asses?

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
14-05-2008 07:14 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by J.Rabbit
What is with everyone's beef with wobble?

hello mate, personally I don't have any beef with wobble - I mean come on going waay back to Aphrodite's Bad Ass tune - one of my all time favourites, the tune is all about wobble!! I suppose if it is used in the wrong context (eg with too many sounds layered above it that cause them to clash) - then there may be some problems with it

but yes - I love the wobble (as well as wobblnig titties - can't complain!)

__

14-05-2008 13:12 Homepage of Ketz
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

JUMP UP DRUM AND BASS!!!

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

14-05-2008 14:04 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

i think its more a UK thing , the more you go to east europe the harder the usual dnb (imo)

i was never into wobble , the first belgium dnb gigs i did were techstep or jungle (with a little woble but not that much like clownstep )
14-05-2008 15:23
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

word, that's cool, nice to see some love for jump up... it's just that out here in America, even though wobble rocks the house, you still find these drum n' bass elitists that act like they created the genre, and talk down about shit saying "there's no point" or it's "cheesey"... then I just ask these kids if they created the dnb scene with their own hands, the scuff or whatever and I laugh... and I have to remind them, this shit is as much mine as it is yours, it's dance music, enjoy it or don't, but don't act like there's this underlying meaning that only you and Nicky Blackmarket understand... not too mention, if you love something this much, why wouldn't you share it with everyone and help it grow, being a dick about shit only hurts the genre itself... fuckin' douchebags...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
14-05-2008 19:31 Homepage of J.Rabbit
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

The way I see it is that everyone is entitled to their opinion, on the other hand I myself am pretty open minded and love all sub-genres of Drum n Bass and all the genres that came before - that eventually evolved into or influenced the DnB that we know today (so basically Hardcore and Jungle, Ragga etc etc).

I guess because DnB has become much more of a global thing nowadays theres bound to be more opinions of the different styles as there is a bigger audience. Another point is that DnB has spread into so many different styles - its such a good thing in terms of appealnig into a wider audience (from nasty dirty underground darkness to "cheesy" commercial tracks)

But jump up is wicked man, and its not like its something new, its been about for ages and theres loads of producers on the scene who are keeping that sound alive...speaking of which I suddenly feel like making Zinc-style jump up tune..!!

Maybe you should come to the UK mate, you won't be alone in your taste here! Wink

__

15-05-2008 11:27 Homepage of Ketz
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I love all the sub style of dnb, possible wobble the least but i still like soem of it.
So the thing that really annoys me these days is because there are so many sub-genres of dnb, and that they are wildly different now that when you go to a night it can be solely one style and that fuckes me right off.

Not that many dj's dare to play accross the board of styles and that makes for shit dnb nights imo.

Best night i went to in last year

London Electricity: NIce liquid viebs with a bit more rolling stuff chucked in.

Andy C: Good high energy dancefloor set but with not too much in the way of "cheesy" wobble.

Noisia: Need i say much more other than it was possible one of the best sets iv seen for a long, long time

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

15-05-2008 15:13 Homepage of D2o
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
I love all the sub style of dnb, possible wobble the least but i still like soem of it.
So the thing that really annoys me these days is because there are so many sub-genres of dnb, and that they are wildly different now that when you go to a night it can be solely one style and that fuckes me right off.

Not that many dj's dare to play accross the board of styles and that makes for shit dnb nights imo.

its ironic that back in the day early DnB / Hardcore / Jungle raves were places for like minded people to convene and share their love for the genre of music that they all were into, nowadays because theres so many styles, DnB lovers can still feel isolated at a rave if only a particular sub genre is being played!

__

15-05-2008 16:48 Homepage of Ketz
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

Registration Date: 16-12-2007

Good DnB is good DnB. Some of the tracks can sound a little lazy, like a bunch of random fart noises all over the place (no names, lol), but Hazard's Machete Bass EP is genius. The forthcoming Original Sin EP is going to be huge also. Smile
20-06-2008 10:47
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by CheesyPOOF5
Good DnB is good DnB. Some of the tracks can sound a little lazy, like a bunch of random fart noises all over the place (no names, lol), but Hazard's Machete Bass EP is genius. The forthcoming Original Sin EP is going to be huge also. Smile

I love that tune, wicked samples - "they call him Macheteeeee" Big Grin

yes I agree god DnB is good DnB! I'm not the sorta person who judges a tune based on its sub genre or style, if i vibe of it, then thats good enough for me! Bigup

__

20-06-2008 12:49 Homepage of Ketz
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Hazard's Machete Bass EP is genius.

LOL

genius is a bit strong.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

20-06-2008 12:55 Homepage of D2o
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

i love the wobble meself - that and the womp. lazy beats - bring em on, yehh. i mean, the whole genre is meant for dancing and not analising and listenting to by yourself in your bedroom. the more complex the beats etc, the harder it is to dance to imo.

i wouldnt worry about the elitists - yeh ive seen a few of em and ive been to the raves where its the more angry white man style (dunno what u call it, the ones with the more modern amen style with dark tearing bass) and those are the raves with the least amount of women. personally, i would rather have a good time and wibble wobble about with wibbly wobbly women. the elitists - in any subgenre of a subgenre - are just lonely people, trying to be better than everyone else by thinking they r great. dont worry about em - eventually they will eat themselves.

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
21-06-2008 08:03 Homepage of Shinyuri
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Shinyuri
i wouldnt worry about the elitists - yeh ive seen a few of em and ive been to the raves where its the more angry white man style (dunno what u call it, the ones with the more modern amen style with dark tearing bass) and those are the raves with the least amount of women. personally, i would rather have a good time and wibble wobble about with wibbly wobbly women. the elitists - in any subgenre of a subgenre - are just lonely people, trying to be better than everyone else by thinking they r great. dont worry about em - eventually they will eat themselves.

I got into DnB on an angle so I was never really part of the scene, and still am not. It seems like the kind of people totally immersed in the culture tend to be pretty close minded and generally don't produce themselves. Being so defensive of their style is their way of compensating for ultimately never adding to it.

But respect to the producers who know what they want Wink

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
21-06-2008 23:16 Homepage of Phalanx
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

@ Phalanx ( Big Grin ) yeah man, for me i totally immersed myself in DnB culture between 99 and 02 (that is when I would be raving pretty much every week, really feeling the music and the whole culture), and from thereonwards became a little more distant and mainly listenend / bedroom DJ'd and produced - so i wouldn't say peeps (well not all of em) who r totally immersed in the culture are all closed minded (in fact i've seen some really old peeps at raves who loved it and were not just DnB heads, and also met some strangers, chattin to em loved up as u do at a rave who turned out to be safe and kept in touch with em after). but yeah i hate close minded peeps, as i see myself as pretty open minded (almost too open minded some may say! lol)

as for producers who know what they want...hmmm..not sure what i want but hope everyone enjoys what i come up with?! Big Grin

__

25-06-2008 11:42 Homepage of Ketz
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
quote:
Hazard's Machete Bass EP is genius.

LOL

genius is a bit strong.

Lol yeah you're right but is the best of it's kind I've heard in a while Tongue
01-07-2008 09:37
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

my only real beef with clown step (sorry wobble Wink ) is that a lot of it is brainless sh*t that the producer (if you wanna stretch that far) has spent probably f**k all time crafting a track then its given a quick mastering job (i.e. pushed to the absolute limit) so pilled-up ravers can dance and sweat their arse's off. fair enough thats what its created for and its aimed at the rave scene, but i wouldn't ever listen to wobble to improve my production techniques or to learn from it cuz to me, its created without a sense of pride, seems like the attitude is just to churn out track after track of simplistic, lazy produced crap. you can argue its designed for clubs/ raves and nothing more but what about artists like Prodigy? Prodigy is designed for club/ raves but you can stil listen to it on headphones at home and be amazed, each track is dynamic, exciting and crafted and you can really hear the solid work and production thats gone into each track.....dont get me wrong i do love some wobble....older pendulum tracks are still in my cd player.....i'd class those as clownstep but they are still exciting, dynamic tracks to listen to at raves/ clubs and at home..... i jus think a lot of this 'clown-step' is far too simplistic and can only really be enjoyed under the influence of drugs, and was probably created under the influence of drugs (as a lot of music is). people like mozart, bob marley, rolling stones (to name but a few) created ground-breaking music under the influence of drugs by exploring music and breaking boundries to create music that defined era's and layed the foundations for many of todays musicians/ producers. i jus think too much wobble now is created wihtout a sense of pride when it can be, many producers have proved this (sub focus, pendulum (imo)). i dont think people who are immersed in the culture are close-minded, they've just explored the many different styles that dnb has to offer from the many different sounds/ styles that producers bring to the table and (for me anyway) find a lot of wobble doesn't offer half as much as it could do.
there, i've said my piece, i can sleep easy now.... Big Grin

p.s. all of that was my opinion so plz dont go nuts at me if you dont agree Wink

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
01-07-2008 15:15 Homepage of Sephiroth
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

any links for examples of lazy wobble mate? I'm curious! and remember DnB started off as a rave thing and it still is today! although I agree with u in that that shouldn't be an excuse for lazy producin - imo lazy producin is not sub-genre specific, it is producer specific

good DnB music should be enjoyable at a rave, in ur bedroom, in ur car, at a bar (or even when having sex at high speeds! lol) anywhere really Big Grin

__

01-07-2008 15:42 Homepage of Ketz
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
any links for examples of lazy wobble mate? I'm curious! and remember DnB started off as a rave thing and it still is today! although I agree with u in that that shouldn't be an excuse for lazy producin - imo lazy producin is not sub-genre specific, it is producer specific

dnb did start out as a rave thing and the rave scene is stillas important today but its evolved too and spawned many sub-genre, many different styles and techniques from around the world (more than any other genre imo) but i jus reckon the rave scene is flooded these days with lazy-produced tracks like some of aphrodites tracks sounds crap and so basic you wonder how he gets away with it, although aphrodite has done some great tunes too. i jus find baron and dillinja, for example, seem to produce tracks that dont bring anything new to the scene or dont make me stop to listen and think 'wow, thats a really good tune' . dj hazard and a lot of the latest ed rush and optical jus sounds lazy to me whereas ed rush and optical used to make great tunes that influenced many producers today. zinc, clipz and twsited individual im afriad are another three culprits in my book, badly produced, repititive tracks imo. i know theres the old sayin "if it aint broke dont fix it" but too much of something makes it stale and old. now i wouldnt say i was an 'elitist', i try and listen to as many different styles of dnb as possible before making my mind up, from the extremely hard, dark stuff to the iquid rollers to the 'wobble' and too much wobble to me jus sounds lazy compared to most other styles out there.
not all wobble is lazy tho, you do get decent 'clown-step' tracks as i said before.

"imo lazy producin is not sub-genre specific, it is producer specific"
totally agree with you there Ketz , i wasn't suggesting for a minute that all wobble is lazy, it is defo producer specific, jus seems a lot of the lazy-producers favor the 'wobble' style.......

again, all my opinion, dont bite my head off if you like this style, im sure you have your opinion of other styles of dnb too. Big Grin

__

01-07-2008 16:30 Homepage of Sephiroth
CheesyPOOF5
Steppa

quote:
any links for examples of lazy wobble mate?

this imo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzrXlGqbC3w#8t2YFzsEU4U
01-07-2008 21:13
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
any links for examples of lazy wobble mate?

this imo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzrXlGqbC3w#8t2YFzsEU4U

uuuurgh that mc makes me cringe.....uuuuurgh......im defo anti-mc in dnb

__

01-07-2008 21:47 Homepage of Sephiroth
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Related styles » What's everyone's beef with wobble?