drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make melodies that fit a bassline???
Go to the bottom of this page How to make melodies that fit a bassline??? 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author

Registration Date: 09-11-2005

understanding the basics of theory is good...as for me I learned to play the guitar by ear and this has helped alot when i started to pick up production. Music is sound and feeling in one composition. If it sounds right it feels right and visa versa. For me if there is any doubt about the way it sounds or feels I try something else, usually with in the same scale and sometimes not. Heres a lil method i use to see if i like what i'm hearing. Step away from the comp or workstation and do something else while casually listening to what you have. If you like what you have so far then keep listening and if your like me you will here the bass and synth in your subconsious ear Cool

__

10-11-2005 21:44
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Akuma
for a decent, inexpensive midi keyboard, i'd suggest midiman's Oxygen 8---it hooks up to your comp via usb (or regular midi in/outs if you have em) and it's small as well, in case you've got a cluttered studio...peace

the keys are crap tho Roll Eyes

__

10-11-2005 23:17 Homepage of Rude
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

^^ get a novation remote 25 or an edirol pcr30 those are the best

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
10-11-2005 23:21 Homepage of Arkitekt
Twistedinc Twistedinc is a male

Registration Date: 09-11-2005

just a question on the Edirol pcr-m30 spec says pent or pent compatible..would that include AMD processors too?? cuz i'm going to build a new rig for gaming and producing..and amd is very good for gaming..well so r pent 4s but i'm partial to AMD

__

10-11-2005 23:44
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Twistedinc
just a question on the Edirol pcr-m30 spec says pent or pent compatible..would that include AMD processors too?? cuz i'm going to build a new rig for gaming and producing..and amd is very good for gaming..well so r pent 4s but i'm partial to AMD

I believe so .. its plug and play type thing ... i dont think the processor would have that much affect on it ..

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
11-11-2005 01:41 Homepage of Arkitekt
Ethereal Ethereal is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Arkitekt
quote:

I believe so .. its plug and play type thing ... i dont think the processor would have that much affect on it ..

it doesnt.

__
http://www.demostreams.com/?ID=Ethereal

"drum'n'bass eto bezdna sovershenstva" translated: "drum'n'bass is the impact of perfectness" ... "Bad Ambitions" - Subwave
14-08-2006 23:24
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ethereal
quote:
Originally posted by Arkitekt
quote:

it doesnt.

didnt think so ..

Devil

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
26-09-2006 23:05 Homepage of Arkitekt
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

was gonna start another thread but found this one. Yeah as long as it sounds good its cool right? (yeah obviously you say) but would someone who knew about chords etc not ever be impressed/ like a choon that obviously didnt say much about the producers musical knowledge?

im just trying to figure out how much this all matters...

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
10-01-2007 01:47
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
Yeah as long as it sounds good its cool right? (yeah obviously you say) but would someone who knew about chords etc not ever be impressed/ like a choon that obviously didnt say much about the producers musical knowledge?

If it sounds good it sounds good, but for others who have more musical knowledge, they will have a better respect for the overall tune. They will like it, but they would like it that much more if everything was in check

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
10-01-2007 02:11 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
Dubrain Hertz Dubrain Hertz is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1290.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

Didn't bother to read everything on this thread but...man, what a load of bullshit.

You don't need to know shit about music-theory and it isn't something you "have" or "don't have". Just practice, take it note by note. Do it enough and you'll get it in the end.

The theory is just as likely to make things worse...

My opininion anyway.

__
Download my album for free/pay what you want http://recordsofthefleshgod.bandcamp.com...years-2002-2005
10-01-2007 02:15 Homepage of Dubrain Hertz
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Musical theory is discovery and knowledge on the different harmonics of sounds, taken the hard way (by discovering what sounds/notes sound the best together, what build the happy chord type, what the sad chord type) many, many years and centuries... in any case, it's a synthesized human knowledge on the physical characteristics of music and meaningful group of sounds - it's not something invented, but rather discovered.

If you start from the beginning, without learning musical theory, but trying things on your own, you will soon find out that whatever you 'discover' is already discovered and covered in musical theory. The happy chords you will discover by yourself are , for example, a set of several tones with certain harmonic properties, and they will sound 'happy', and only they will sound 'happy'/the same way (determined of the physical properties of the sound waves, which is something you can't change or invent, but discover). So, if you try to find some combination of sounds that sound happy, you will actually find the same thing that many people found before you.

Musical theory will definitely help, as there is no point in discovering that all from the beginning (in any case, nobody would appreciate that because it's already done), and you can create new stuff after you have known the musical theory - because you have something to start with. You don't have to build the base from the beginning again.

So it's not bullshit. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-01-2007 03:36 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
was gonna start another thread but found this one. Yeah as long as it sounds good its cool right? (yeah obviously you say) but would someone who knew about chords etc not ever be impressed/ like a choon that obviously didnt say much about the producers musical knowledge?

im just trying to figure out how much this all matters...

mattesr quite a bit...

melodies and waht not can be tricky but its not total rocket science...

therse a good thread on music theory here, and you can find books and sites online just about everywhere...

take tech itch for example... melodic... no... harmonic... deffinitely...

depends on whatyoure going for...

i think the biggest problem is, peple just listen to sounds instead of actual notes...

just cuase a meldoy sounds cool ove r abssline doenst mean it works ya know... and some people just dont have that ear...

whatever bassline you write out... consider those youre "root" notes of your tune... your melody will revolve around that, or vice versa...

keep that in mind Wink

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

10-01-2007 19:54
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

Give me some music to look at and then ask me to play it and I'll be like "What the fuck?!" - it might as well be in Russian. Let me hear that music enough and I will play it.

Here is some proof (maybe a little inspiration?) that all you need is your ears.

John Lennon - Imagine & Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger.

http://download.yousendit.com/8645272F3C769EC0

Done in Reason 3.0

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by fogga: 12-01-2007 21:16.

12-01-2007 21:13
Miek

Registration Date: 20-03-2007

I agree with what people are saying about discovering things for yourself, I've played guitar for 5 years now, self taught, but as I've started reading up on music theory, I'm now finding that a lot of the scales and chords I use when improvising turn out to be well documented scales... now I understand that if I'd taken the time to read about them years ago, I'd have saved a lot of time discovering them myself.

Might not have been as fun though.

I have an interesting question for anyone who might know... how does musical theory come into play when DJs mix and double drop tunes?

For instance, some melodies seem to fit any song and any bassline, at least within the genre, is this cause all dnb uses pretty much the same scales, or is there more to it?
21-03-2007 23:56
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

Example: your chord structure is 4 chords, every chord 4 beats long:
[FONT=monospace]
1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4- (counting)
c-major c-major f-major g-major (1 chord every 4 beats)

I always thought dnb used "half speed basslines" where, for example, the bassline is played at half the speed of the drums. Jungle definitely did but I don't listen to much dnb these days so I'm not too sure, it used to anyway.

So instead of making a chord change every bar you should try to stretch it out to two instead.
22-03-2007 03:09
DJ Ryno Rage DJ Ryno Rage is a male

Registration Date: 20-03-2007

the program im using has a moog generator type of deal, so i just use that n mess with the different levels, then see if it sounds good or not, then mess with it till it sounds good and matches with everything else..... that probably doesnt help at all. lol
23-03-2007 20:22
audiobaptism audiobaptism is a male

Registration Date: 30-11-2006

gersic.com has a vst that generates chords from midi notes as well as being a tool to learn chords. very handy to have its called tonespace
04-04-2007 06:38
audiobaptism audiobaptism is a male

Registration Date: 30-11-2006

quote:
Originally posted by Miek
I agree with what people are saying about discovering things for yourself, I've played guitar for 5 years now, self taught, but as I've started reading up on music theory, I'm now finding that a lot of the scales and chords I use when improvising turn out to be well documented scales... now I understand that if I'd taken the time to read about them years ago, I'd have saved a lot of time discovering them myself.

Might not have been as fun though.

I have an interesting question for anyone who might know... how does musical theory come into play when DJs mix and double drop tunes?

For instance, some melodies seem to fit any song and any bassline, at least within the genre, is this cause all dnb uses pretty much the same scales, or is there more to it?

good question! i'll be waiting on that answer
04-04-2007 06:40
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Miek

I'm not too sure how the theory comes into play but I do know that you cant just double drop or mix any 2 tracks together, you have to spend a bit of time finding tunes that sound good combined to do a decent mix.
04-04-2007 18:51
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

It's fitting scales... the philosophy is about fitting the scales. Major scales don't quite fit with minor scales. Dorian modus doesn't fit with Mixolydian. When they play their notes together, you hear disharmonies all over the place.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
04-04-2007 19:59 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make melodies that fit a bassline???