drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » The Best Tips I Know With The Loops Of Fruity
Go to the bottom of this page The Best Tips I Know With The Loops Of Fruity
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

THE BEST TIPS I KNOW WITH THE LOOPS OF FRUITY

Been using FL Studio since it was called Fruity Loops about version 3 or so up until Fruity Loops 7 XXL Producers Edition, and i have just a bunch of tips for stuff i do every day that i find help make the proccess easy and fluent once you begin to absorb it into your routine. There is other stuff i do but it's more preferance. i have learned to make trakcs using VST that will randomly just suck up all CPU usage, and having a computer that cannot really use anything. i got by but i learned a helluvalot since i was just a little kid. so these are kinda from order i rmber them, so kinda in priority of usefulness. the first few i couldn't live witohut on any other program, but if you use the FL this way you can use a lot of other programs after learning their short-keys also and become fluent on them as well. FL is a lot more like every other program then a lot of other *coughREASON* and just tries to be a fun and unique program for music creation. it works so well with samples it's a dream, and VST's it's good, just how it doens't hav eMIDI contorlled FX, and the sound quality isn't 100%, but if BASSHUNTER can rock with it, why not me.

1. F4 to goto next open channel pattern. this doesn't seem that awsome and there is some flaws with it, but it'll automaticly get you on a fresh page and give you the chance to label it to help you organize them. if you click on a track 38 it sometimes will resume below 38, depending on what version you use. the newer programs will go down from the track yuor on down. if there is automations on the track and no name it will assume it's empty.
  2. 2. Ctrl+L on Channel Settings or the spot where you select the FX track number on the instrument. it will put it to the next empty track in the FX board., and color it and name it identical to the instrument! that's teh coolest. you can also select it fromt eh drop down menu ont he Channel Settings along the top left. if you do that then delete the instruemnt itll goto the empty channel but not name change the name. it if it isn't the default blank name. it won't chnage it, basicly.
  3. for the newer FL Studios always put the FL studio Priority to Highest under Options > Audio Settings. this will make your FL take priority , in the the computer itself, above your spyware and pron in the background.. more resources and less lag, without affecting anything critical, and actually makeing it more stable.
  4. oh ya, upgrade to version 7, at the least, it has a non-crashing feature in the same menu as the buffer changing and priority changing screen Audio Settings. Safe Overloads it's called. it will save your life/song from just crashing if you forgot to save.
  5. Ctrl+H to stop all sounds and then Ctrl+S to save. it's best to stop sounds or else you may f** the machine up while it tries to save.
  6. Ctrl+Shift+H is cool if you mess up the layout and lose the window off the edge of the screen or something. Ctrl+Shift+H will reset to default. it's helped when it was stuck and kinda border line freezing while it was playing. because you can miss click and drag off screen.
  7. Alt+up and Alt+down to sort out insturments if you have 50 tracks, it'll help to hav ethem sorted right, and if you use the layering Insturment if you clone it it makes it inside the other one....
  8. LAYER is a cool tool i use on every track, you set up and then select the green box to the left of the isntruemnts you want to be triggered by it, like a bunch of snares, and then click on Set Children and when you play a not on layer it'll play the same not on all the insturments and adjust the volume by dividing it among the different tracks.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2008 20:55.

31-03-2008 20:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Wft! Huh Halph Price starting a new thread? With a good title AND in the correct forum section?!

Jokes mate, jokes. Tongue

Excellent thread actually. Here's a few little tips I regularly use...

1. F2 to change the name of your patterns.

2. SPACE BAR to quickly stop and start the selected pattern or song.

3. I ALWAYS use the pattern clips section on the bottom when I want to slice and dice my beats and patterns. It stops you having to create loads of patterns and you can easily make subtle changes and cool combinations that you would never have come up with otherwise (simply use the cut tool).

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
31-03-2008 21:37 Homepage of Tomos
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i make all my beats and just use fl slicer, you can cut easily and set up full beats and change them so fast and easy i find. all my beats are ALWAYS done in fl slicer. since version 5 it's been easy and good to use. but version 7 it's been worse, it doens't cut as close tot eh transient of the drums :/

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-03-2008 21:40 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

** ctl + shift + c = clone channel, easy when u want a load of empty channels.
** right-click + drag in the velocity section of the piano roll (or pan, cut-off etc) to make.a smooth slope, good for drum rolls, kick builds etc.
**right clicking the top left of mixer and hitting "switch smart disable for all" will sort you out wen running loads of vst, damn camel space seems to chew it up.
**alt+u = quick chopper window.
**crt+u = auto quick chop
**alt+z on step sequencer hides channels (useful wen theres loads), right-clicking enables em.

cant think of any off the top of my head, dont really think about what keys im pushing in fl, jus kind off automatic in my brain Confused

long live fl!!! may be more-winded than other programs but nothings impossible in fl, jus takes a little patience + practice, loads of pro's use fl from what i gather and its only getting better.

Drummer Drummer Drummer

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
31-03-2008 22:21 Homepage of Sephiroth
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

but i also forgot to mention that Ctrl+Shift+c on a channel in the Arrange page helps to clone a Pattern to make fast and easy variants , which most everyone needs to do. FL tends to make your tracks a loopy one.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-03-2008 22:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

It took me ages to pick up the CTRL-drag to select things in the piano roll or arrange windows. Sooo much easier.
I don't use a lot of keys though. I let the mouse do the dirty work. I would find it very easy if keyboard shortcuts were displayed for EACH function and not just when the FL guys felt like it.

Good thread!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-04-2008 00:29 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
because you can miss click and drag off screen.

Booze Drink Spliff Drink My Mistake

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
01-04-2008 01:27 Homepage of cynik
fade doni fade doni is a female
Sexy Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2594.jpg

Registration Date: 22-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

tips! Yeah! thanks Smile

- ctrl+S (and use 'save as New Version'; for example handy when one file becomes corrupted because of stupid vst's you can still go back to a previous file. But just do it often, otherwise it won't help you out.
- click options -> general settings -> show legacy precomputed effects: gives you extra options in tweaking in your channel settings window for each sample. Doesn't work for vst but there you probably can already tweak enough.
- drag a sample from library into your automation part and then you can see the waveform, then click on small arrow in the corner and for example try out the chop function (stutter, beat shuffle)
- (time)stretching samples put in the automationfield is also easy here, just click on the right side when your mouse becomes an arrow and drag it till where you want it.

Aah, and ofcourse ctrl+S

- Set your max undo history to 999 in options -> general settings, really nice to be able to undo as much as you like. For total profit also click Undo knob tweaks.

Hmmm, was ctrl+S already mentioned?

__
I am..... ehm..... yeah.
Pleased
03-08-2008 23:32 Homepage of fade doni
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Just found this out today, when you put some 'notes' in the step sequencer, you can move them left or right by activating the channel and pressing ctrl+left/right.

Not too sure if its ctrl, shift or alt though. Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
13-02-2009 21:29 Homepage of Puzzle
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
Not too sure if its ctrl, shift or alt though. Big Grin

Oh, it doesn't matter anyway Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
13-02-2009 22:59 Homepage of Muad'Dib
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

I didn't find it very useful to begin with but I find myself using F5 and F6, when in the sample browser, to change/audition samples a lot now.
14-02-2009 18:41
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Shift + L -> Toggles between Pattern / Song playback mode

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
12-08-2009 16:23 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids

Very uneasy shortcut, I'd say. Pressing shift and then L uses both hands, which is a bit strenuous and bad for the workflow.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
09-09-2009 18:27 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:

Very uneasy shortcut, I'd say. Pressing shift and then L uses both hands, which is a bit strenuous and bad for the workflow.

you must have pretty small hands then... Teeth
09-09-2009 19:10 Homepage of Gregg
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Gregg
quote:
quote:

Huh
Yeah there's a shift-key on the right of your keyboard lol !
Elf I hope there is one on your keyboard too

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Crispy Liquids: 09-09-2009 19:40.

09-09-2009 19:38 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Yeah there's a shift-key on the right of your keyboard lol !

Why the fuck have I not noticed that before? Huh Lol

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Puzzle: 09-09-2009 20:27.

09-09-2009 20:26 Homepage of Puzzle
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

ROFL hahahah, you guys always make me laugh Big Grin

The thing is, I am used to pressing the left shift when using some right-hand character, and I have difficulties unlearning this method of doing things.

__

-Bene Gesserit
09-09-2009 21:05 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Nick ZZ Nick ZZ is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2152.jpg

Registration Date: 29-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
i make all my beats and just use fl slicer, you can cut easily and set up full beats and change them so fast and easy i find. all my beats are ALWAYS done in fl slicer. since version 5 it's been easy and good to use. but version 7 it's been worse, it doens't cut as close tot eh transient of the drums :/

You got some sick beats. Nice thread. Z

__
Nick & Erina Z
http://www.beatbiz.net/artist.php?USERID=493

10-11-2009 09:20 Homepage of Nick ZZ
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Gregg
quote:
quote:

Thread = Instant Winner Teeth

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-11-2009 15:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Ctrl + Space = pauses your track, as opposed to pressing only space, which stops and brings the pointer to the beginning of the tune.

Helpful when you are checking your track while you have the auto-scroll feature on.

__

-Bene Gesserit
06-02-2010 02:44 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » The Best Tips I Know With The Loops Of Fruity