Go to the bottom of this page review breakdown
Author
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

right boys.... and girls

time we had a serious look at the review process.....

detailed breakdown is essential now.

as battledrone pointed out earlyer on today. tracks are getting what seems to be very low ratings and i can sence people are getting quite pissed off ( excuse me )

if we could see more of what people were actually ratting our tracks as piece by piece then maybe people would take them more lightly and actually take note.....

iv seen a couple of newbies upset at the ratings they have got........... as i see cos its just 1 score as a whole.....

whats peeps saying on this?

thats the most iv ever writen in one post on this site........ any site infact Big Grin

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

05-03-2008 00:24 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Actually, I'm in for this idea for quite some time now, but because of business of the lead programmer here, that never got handled down.

I don't know PHP but I can write pseudo-code, if someone needs it to translate to PHP code for the system.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-03-2008 00:49 Homepage of Muad'Dib
wTrouble wTrouble is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah, I think that's a good idea... I asked about it a while ago...

I always expect the worst when I post a track up here - it's good in a way, and it's the way its always been on .be - but will admit that it can really take the wind out yer sails some times when you know what you've uploaded isn't a pile of shite but is rated as if it is.

A breakdown of the review would help pinpoint the outstandingly fecal issues! And it would help to know where it's all going wrong!

My latest tune is my best ever, I'm pretty chuffed with it, but I'm gonna hold off on uploading it so I can enjoy it for a bit longer. Big Grin
05-03-2008 04:39
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

... I'm back with more!!!

I'm just reviewing some tracks and once again I am thinking the same thing...

How am I meant to give a score on structure and other things when somebody has posted up a quick cut and paste try out of some sounds. I think its good to be able to throw up a quick preview to get some early feedback, but it's hard to use the current review criteria sometimes.

Was thinking... how about different review criteria depending if either a preview or full track is posted?

I think it would be more useful on a preview to have questions like - 'what do you think of the drum samples used?' and other ones I can't think of just now Smile

Just a thought....

edit: I also reckon it's helluva lot easier to make a really hot sounding preview, there's alot more effort required to get a complete track down.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wTrouble: 05-03-2008 05:17.

05-03-2008 05:15
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

quote:
Originally posted by CULTURE BOY

thats the most iv ever writen in one post on this site........ any site infact Big Grin

ROFLMFAO!! ROFL

good idea. maybe there should be something advising reviewers to plz be specific if possible.

or we can all just do what that idiot did recently, and copy - paste the same review into five different tunes Huh

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
05-03-2008 05:18
Parasyte Parasyte is a male
aka Sickboy

Registration Date: 04-03-2008

Bad ratings help, imo

If they really are into DnB production and want to get better at it, then what's the use of learning without slapintheface constructive criticism?

I for one believe that without the bad criticism, I would not have got any better at production.

__

06-03-2008 04:04 Homepage of Parasyte
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by wTrouble

Was thinking... how about different review criteria depending if either a preview or full track is posted?

That's actually a good idea but not too simple to achieve.
The danger I see with replacing/deleting review points is that it would make people only post previews in order to get higher ratings (I guess I would even do so xD).
So when there is a difference between preview and full track rating/reviewing it really needs to be balanced that nothing has a real advantage.
06-03-2008 21:21 Homepage of Gregg
hardplnsdrftr hardplnsdrftr is a male
Streetcleaner

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

The review process here is fine. People complain all the time, but I think they just want their asses kissed. I am tired of these producers crying all the time that their rating is too low. My advice is to make better track and you will get better reviews.

I want reviews to be as honest as possible. I am more critical of myself than anyone here would ever be, and I want people to tell me whatever they actually think. IMO, I think tracks get way too high ratings from reviews, not too low.

I mean, do these producers think their track holds up against the best released tracks by established producers? I always compare my own work to what I consider the best of the best. Listen to your track, then listen to a track you love and admire for its production. Does it stand up to it? By comparing my work to what i consider great productions/ tracks, every time I make a new track, I know what's lacking and what can be improved upon.

I tend to rate tracks pretty low in general compared to other people. But I am comparing it to whoever makes that style that I consider an elite producer. I always think, if this was released, played at club, whatever, what would I think of it. And I rate it that way.

I apologize for my rant, but I have grown weary of threads complaining about their low track ratings.

__
"Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer."
Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/hardplainsdrifter
06-03-2008 23:39 Homepage of hardplnsdrftr
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by hardplnsdrftr
The review process here is fine. People complain all the time, but I think they just want their asses kissed. I am tired of these producers crying all the time that their rating is too low. My advice is to make better track and you will get better reviews.

I want reviews to be as honest as possible. I am more critical of myself than anyone here would ever be, and I want people to tell me whatever they actually think. IMO, I think tracks get way too high ratings from reviews, not too low.

I mean, do these producers think their track holds up against the best released tracks by established producers? I always compare my own work to what I consider the best of the best. Listen to your track, then listen to a track you love and admire for its production. Does it stand up to it? By comparing my work to what i consider great productions/ tracks, every time I make a new track, I know what's lacking and what can be improved upon.

I tend to rate tracks pretty low in general compared to other people. But I am comparing it to whoever makes that style that I consider an elite producer. I always think, if this was released, played at club, whatever, what would I think of it. And I rate it that way.

I apologize for my rant, but I have grown weary of threads complaining about their low track ratings.

That holds a big point there, and I support it.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
07-03-2008 19:49 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by hardplnsdrftr

Brilliant post, I support every fucking word of that. Happy Well said.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
07-03-2008 21:27 Homepage of Tomos
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Totally wiv these Guys Bigup

If anything, the ratings system should be harder

Don't see a big problem with it

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

07-03-2008 21:52 Homepage of Binary Havoc
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

AGREED!

people who are complaning about getting low ratings need to take a long hard look.........

think the review system could be better n slightly more detailed than already is on the site......

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

07-03-2008 23:32 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

yeah deffo. all tracks are overatted, except mine of course Teeth

there should be 3 new vote options too imo....

beat pragramming......
bass work...
and synth work

atm, all 3 seem to be part of 1 option, which is definately lacking in detail.

btw.... binary, your new avatar is da bomb mate

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
08-03-2008 00:18
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

I want a system where you can see what you scored for each point. This is the best way of seeing what you really need to improve on.

I have noticed that some people have recieved poor ratings for great peices of work, but no explanation why!!!

I think that if you score a song, your name should be listed, but not the actual marks you gave. This would help stop the odd case I have noticed of people putting up a nice Jazzy number and being scored 1/10 because some kid wanted to hear a 'pendulum' style track and lacks the ability to consider different styles of the genre...

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by brucifer: 09-03-2008 06:55.

09-03-2008 03:36
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

@hardplnsdrftr

Nail on the head mate.

quote:
On .be homepage:

Our team is notorious for writing very harsh but helpful reviews

That's what I always liked about this site, straight up reviews, as well as the high quality of some of the producers on here. I do think that a five star review should indicate that a track is comparable in quality to released tracks, and that tracks should be reviewed with this in mind.

About preview/full track bizness, I do think there is enough of a difference to warrant two separate areas. Things would have to be kept completely separate all the way - preview chart and full track chart, individual ratings systems etc etc. but this way they'd be independant of each other.

This does sound like a fair old pain in the ass to implement though...

At the end of the day, I'm just happy to be able to have a good place to go to get feedback. With a harsh review system, you know when nobody can fault a track that you're sitting on a winner!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wTrouble: 09-03-2008 04:37.

09-03-2008 04:36
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I don't really finish many of my tracks enough to post because I know they won't be up to the par set by this board. That being said, I still get regular inspiration from browsing the forums and checking out the tunes.

I received some pretty low and mediocre ratings, but honestly some of my work is pretty shitty production wise. The reviews always push me to try to improve. If I can pull a 4-5 star rating, I'll be very happy.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
13-03-2008 14:54 Homepage of Phalanx
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

@ hardplnsdrftr, spot on mate, absoletly spot on,
10 reviews from people sayin: "nice track, good work" is a nice compliment but nowhere near as useful as 10 reviews from people picking apart your track and being brutally honest. i'd much prefer a bunch of shit, helpful reviews compared to a load of one-liners sayin they like the track.
my only real criticism with the reviews system is people giving really vague reviews, i think if ur puttin in the effort of listenin to a track and writing a review you should make at least a few valid criticisms/ compliments about the track, the only way your gonna learn and improve is by makin mistakes then having those mistakes pointed out to you. i kno there a lot of people who spend a lot of time reviewing tracks (you kno who u are) and give decent reviews which is the most useful part of this site in my opinion, i jus feel there are a few people who give very vague (and unhelpful) reviews which aren't gonna to help the producer progress. if your gonna tell someone that there track is brilliant and absoltely head-bangin then your implying theres no room for improvement, a very high rating and amazing reviews imo should be for a track that is comparable to professionally released ones, like wTrouble mentioned.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
13-03-2008 18:56 Homepage of Sephiroth
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » review breakdown