drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Parents
Go to the bottom of this page Parents
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Today my father asked me to hear some of my tracks. I was quite astonished, since he knows I make electronic music (he has no idear of what styles there exist), and always detested electronic music for sounding awfull and inhumane. A few years back, when I still lived at home, he was always angry with me for playing too much "boom boom" music (I still listened to trance and techno then).
So I put on some of my tracks: Alien, Company, The Silence... He listened to all of them, from the beginning till the end Huh And he thought they were very dancable and quite well made Huh I couldn't believe my ears!!!

Now is my question: what do your parents think of the music you make?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

21-01-2004 16:41 Homepage of Surya
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

hehe that depents on their mood pretty much lol..

mostly they just call it noise... and wanna get as far away from it as possible

buut.. sometines

my father can appreciate some things..

my mother doesn't quite understand it i think lol, to her it's just playing around a bit.. she's the one who's always first to nag about it too.. unfortunately

cheerz

__

21-01-2004 22:23 Homepage of Emblem-X
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I made music from 1990 to 1997 although I started way earlier making some kind of minimalistic elektro on the C64 using trackers Big Grin
I was playing bass in a death metal band first and moved on to black metal around 1993 so I guess my parents had to get used to hearing metal all day. On top of that I was playing bass for at least 3 hours every day, sometimes even playing all day long Big Grin

Around 1994 I started getting a nice collection of synths and outboard together, and I made trance as a hobby, and I had the habit of working up to three weeks on one track so then they were hearing the same song for hours every day Tongue

But they didn't mind what I was doing all along, I think that especially my father liked the black metal thing, it was very musical actually with lots of nice melodies and layers.

Nowadays I'm very productive in reshaping music made by other people Big Grin I sometimes give CD's of my studio work to my parents if I think they would like it, and my father once came to a gig where I was mixing. He was kinda proud Big Grin and me too, been mixing for 9 years now, and actually nobody of my family or friends has ever heard me mix live, so it was very nice to have my father in the audience!! Smile )

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
21-01-2004 22:57 Homepage of thechronic
stino stino is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-237.gif

Registration Date: 13-07-2003

heheh

this is a funny topic ... Big Grin

my parents really don't appreciate it... I play in 'diecast unit' and for them it is too loud... my father once came to one of our concerts , just to see me, not to hear me ... Tongue
actually my mother doesn't believe i write most of that music, because I only followed one year of classic guitar courses... Huh I told her a million times that I learned it mostly on my own, and lately she starts to see... ( disadvantage, my sister is in her 7th year classic guitar... so she makes to much comparison )

and that drumnbass... my parents don't believe that you can make music with a computer ... Roll Eyes

if I have to buy gear... I have to talk about what i'm going to buy before I can actually buy it...
wait till i'm graduated... Tongue

__
www.myspace.com/stinomg
www.myspace.com/circlelogicband
22-01-2004 08:23 Homepage of stino
basslicious basslicious is a female
Flashtunes

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-05-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

well , for a change , my parents don't have any problems with it , my mother even borrows( read : just takes without asking) some of my dnb cd's

my father tho isn't so much confrontated with my music coz i live mostly with my mother but he's fine with it too , only things he does that can sometimes makes me roll my eyes , is calling it BASS AND DRUM Roll Eyes , ach ja , parents will be parents eeejjj Big Grin

__
Give it a try , don't be shy
Well you know you might like it
Never been to keen a timekeeper
But i'm a pure new pleasure seeker

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by basslicious: 22-01-2004 10:10.

22-01-2004 10:09 Homepage of basslicious
George Remaken
Producer

Registration Date: 07-01-2004

Yeah that’s right topic. We live in a big house with 4 floors in a highest one. It’s amaying that inhabitants of lower flats are changing very often, essecially in the flat which is directly under my bedroomJ I don’t know why? Maybe they don’t like my music and it’s true that they have to listen to one song for example for 2 or 3 weeks it’s common case dear thechronicJ Few times they came up and shout on me to stop playing that fuckin music! Actually it was our first neighbour but now he is already left…to his luck
And Parents?? Hmm, my mum asked me yesterday „ Was it your song I heard behind the wall?“
„ Yes I said“
„ Hmm…it was rytmical and it was graduating very well, good son „(first brake in Technical point of view played really loud)
Ehm…but she is listenig to pop and other dead styles, but probably she’s still able to recognize good musicJ
02-02-2004 22:22
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

my mum thinks it sound all the same, whatever it might be

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
02-02-2004 23:16 Homepage of djfreemc
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

when i first said i wanted to go to music school, they all wanted to go... so me & my brothers went, then my dad (piano) and now my mom & dad are doing some lessons in sax. They were always happy when i was working on music, acoustic or electronic... didn't matter. (I also worked with trackers back then) I had some bands (a dnb band & an "i don't know what you call it"-band) My dad in particular likes my 'marcas' project. (that covers the funky, jazzy side of dnb but also some electrojazz). He doesn't like the harder stuff. My mom doesn't like both.

__

Drop On Request
03-02-2004 00:15 Homepage of Qbit
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

nobody in my family will take it seriously until i get anything released...i don't think they understand that if i don't make music, i'll go insane...this is everything to me, i've sacrificed alot for the music, and in my opinion it's all been worth it, too bad they don't see it that way...

__

03-02-2004 01:53
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

No, making music is not concidered a real "job" untill you really start making big bucks with it.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-02-2004 09:56 Homepage of Surya
Phazzy Phazzy is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

they dont care...

really unless i play it loud... which somethimes you just have to do... if u no what i mean!!

__
Bigup
03-02-2004 12:26
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Today my father asked me to hear some of my tracks. I was quite astonished, since he knows I make electronic music (he has no idear of what styles there exist), and always detested electronic music for sounding awfull and inhumane. A few years back, when I still lived at home, he was always angry with me for playing too much "boom boom" music (I still listened to trance and techno then).
So I put on some of my tracks: Alien, Company, The Silence... He listened to all of them, from the beginning till the end Huh And he thought they were very dancable and quite well made Huh I couldn't believe my ears!!!

yeah man I HAD THE SAME THING! it's crazy.
i thought like, i just let him hear my track in fullness and for six minutes he closed his eyes and listened! he felt as if he went on some journey and saw all of these images while listening.

gives me a real good feeling if i my dad likes this. usually he listens classic stuff. so yeah.

__

03-02-2004 17:47 Homepage of peet
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by peet
quote:

i thought like, i just let him hear my track in fullness and for six minutes he closed his eyes and listened! he felt as if he went on some journey and saw all of these images while listening.

gives me a real good feeling if i my dad likes this. usually he listens classic stuff. so yeah.

damn! cool your dads even take time to listen to it...

they don't give a single shit here Mad Frown

__

03-02-2004 18:02 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

That always sucks, getting nothing but negative feedback and no respect from your parents, but it didn't stop me Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-02-2004 18:16 Homepage of Surya
peet
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-539.gif

Registration Date: 31-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 3.33

quote:
Originally posted by Emblem-X
quote:
Originally posted by peet
quote:

damn! cool your dads even take time to listen to it...

they don't give a single shit here Mad Frown

i think it's also a matter of having parents that are creatively active themselves. my entire family is always busy on a creative base except for my mum. my mom hates the stuff i make and never gives me any creative respect in that sense. at the same time i can't say i have a very good relationship with my mom so what heck. if you're creatively active yourself you can always take time to watch or listen other people's works. i think it's just all part of that. and again then it's just about having parents who are creatively minded or not.

__

03-02-2004 18:19 Homepage of peet
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
No, making music is not concidered a real "job" untill you really start making big bucks with it.

i had this one-on-one with my dad and we talked about it. he knows this is my life and he's allowing me to do SAE in brussels... I wanna become a sound engineer to be able to work with music every day. So i can live from music... my ultimate dream!

__

Drop On Request
03-02-2004 19:06 Homepage of Qbit
Airfull Airfull is a female
Sexy Lady

images/avatars/avatar-24.jpg

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

well my oldest bro hate it!!!

he can't listen to it...especially not when we're eating!!!!

my 'lil bro actually likes it!!!
sometimes he's asking me some sites where he can listen to dnb...and idem like basslicious he"borrows" my cd's...well yeah..as long I get them back!!

my dad likes the soft dnb with the latin-salsa influedes...
and my mom is fucking crazy SOMETIMES she's chaking her ass off Tongue

but sometimes she can't stand the sound...(days off the month) Wink Tongue Big Grin

idd, nice thread!!!

Big Grin Cool

__

ONE BULLET? TWO BULLETS? THE THIRT ONE IS THROUGH MY HEAD!
03-02-2004 20:43
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-75.jpg

Registration Date: 19-01-2003

my dad likes my music a lot actually... well not the technical dnb stuff, but i also do a lot of jazzy downtempo stuff lately, some very melodic stuff with sampled instruments and live-sounding drums (a la xploding plastix) wich he is very fond of...

I don't have to use headphones anymore when making stuff like that Big Grin
03-02-2004 21:41
Phazzy Phazzy is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

CH3M!K is it just me or havent u made a post in ages... (liked your beatbattle track AGES ago)

Well ne way u cant blame parents for negative feedback because they grew up listenin to different style of music... e.g. you cant just ask someone hoo loves dnb to start likin beethoven can u!!!!!

(not that my parents listen to beethoven)

__
Bigup
04-02-2004 13:48
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Offcourse not, but we're not talking ablout them having to like it, but they should at least have respect for it imo

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

04-02-2004 16:06 Homepage of Surya
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Parents