drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Juz don't get it...
Go to the bottom of this page Juz don't get it...
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I'm desperately trying to make a good tune, and that doesn't come handy... I realy do! When I make a tune, it sounds perfect... good, interesting.. u know... and then, you review it and put 2 or 1 mark... then, relisten it again, and I see where it fails... where it SUX...

Can anyone help me here? Frown

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-01-2004 01:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Whizz
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 07-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Yeah man, I know what you mean. When creating something you will always feel very enthousiastic about the thing you created. My suggestion is if you complete a tune, is to let it rest for a few days and then listen to it again. And try to listen to as much music (especially DnB in this case) to be able to judge objectively about your tunes Bigup

Everybodys been there mate, I've posted the biggest crap in the beginning, you will evolve, trust me, just keep practising Bigup

__

21-01-2004 02:14 Homepage of Whizz
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

to touch on a subject that whizz brought up, try to listen to as much dnb in the particular style you're interested in, and don't just listen to it as a casual listener---try to listen to it from a producer's perspective...don't just sit there and say, 'hey, that sounds cool'---try and figure out how that cool sound was made...and when you're working on your own tunes, demo em out like a motherfucker...by that i mean this...say you've been working on a tune for a few days...do a quickie pre-master and render an mp3, and listen to it intently for a few days, checking for anything that might need adjusting, checking for what works and what you could take out, and so on...do this until you feel the tune's done (and you can always post a work-in-progress if you're stuck on an idea and want some feedback, cuz alot of times other people will hear 'flaws' that you might miss, etc...)

__

21-01-2004 08:12
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Just keep on going, you'll eventually get there... I made crap for a year before something good started to come up... it took another year to get things really going...
That was with trance. Then I switched to DnB, and I had to start all over!!! Took me another year to get back on track
I like to think I'm quite good now, but still improving... only a matter of time and practice...

It is indeed all a matter of making it, listening to other tunes (a lot!), listening what works, and why it works, and why it doesn't work in your tune.
I always have a few existing tunes in mind when making a new one. I'm not trying to remake them, but to catch the spirit of them. So I make something, and then listen to the otherones again and again, and then work a bit more... every time getting a bit closer to the feel of the existing track, while still doing my own thing... or at least, I hope so Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

21-01-2004 10:15 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well... I'm doing DnB for 7 months... I parallel do some techno and trance... but not much...

I can catch advanced stuff on techno making... but I juz can't with the DnB... Don't get it why...

Whatever, response to what Surya said:
Yes, we will all eventualy get that...

The thing is, that I realy do "study" the music! When I go to discoteques with DnB, I don't juz dance... I enjoy and analyze the patterns, and the instruments of the tunes... even my friends say:"How in the hell did you hear that?!" when I point to them some sound that is very very very very VERY hard to be heard or to catch...

But, when I sit on my computer, I stop being the analyzer... I'm the creator... and I have absolutely NO ideas! I cannot repeat the same I heard, cause of my idea that that will be actualy stealing the style of some author...

I want to make new stuff... u may notice that - my tracks don't look alike no other.. maybe they do, but surely not on something I've heard.

I don't listen to much of DnB, cause I don't have much dnb...

I must download everything, cause DnB simply is cannot-be-found-music in Macedonia. Frown

And to download, with 56k connectiong, it will take ages just for one album...

Frown
I'm juz sorrowed when I see some excellent tracks of, say, djdred, or Whizz, or Dave_Akuma, or you Surya... and I notice that I can't do nothing right. Nothing that will hit the beat... Frown Im not jealous, just sorrowed.

10x for comments, m8s...

PS
Maybe I'll continue with Trance or Techno... at least I'm quite successful in that...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
21-01-2004 14:47 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, So I was quite good at trance too, and when I started with DnB I had to start all over from 0... It's just so completely different in sound, buildups, grooves... and it's much more difficult!!! Trance is simple: you get a good sound and good melody, add a bog standard rhythm, some bassline and shit, simple buildups... all very stright forward. But DnB is simply complicated, although it doesn't sound complicated...

If you can't do anything: just try immitating something (stealing if you will). I did that a few times. I sat down and said: I'm gonna make that song: same sounds, same melodies... and while trying to make the same thing, I came up with completely different things. Other sounds, other melodies, other grooves... made some of my better tracks that way. If I listen to them now, I don't even remember what track I was trying to immitate...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

21-01-2004 16:10 Homepage of Surya
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

that's cool that you try and analyze the music when you're at a club...but like surya said, dnb is more complicated than it sounds...and becuz of that, i recommend listening to as much dnb as you can as often as you can...if possible, listen to it as you fall asleep (you'll get used to it), listen to it in the car, or make cd's and listen to em when you're walking or whatever--the point is to get to where dnb is second-nature to you...and maybe you're trying too hard to come up with ideas---i've found that if you try too hard, usually things don't work out so well---just do what comes naturally...or, like surya said, find a style you like the most, and try to imitate it to a point, until you fully understand it...also, it takes time to become proficient at dnb---i'm sure alot of us on here have been doing it for several years, it's not really something you can pick up in a few months and be good at...it takes time...the main thing is to not give up

__

27-01-2004 05:24
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i notice a lot of times it`s good to have a heavy main drumloop that you can use to keep things going hard.....it`s easy to program hi hats and the kick snare type shit...the buildups are a little tough you just have to keep looping a drummachine and listen it helps if you can run odd times on beatmachines because you can get a syncopation going kinda like mixing hip hop with DNB.....other than that i`m as lost as you....i can program drums and shit but i have a helluva time with melodies and bass....i can get the sounds to be cool but once i get a good loop i have a hardtime breaking away into a transistion....pads help though and lots of samples....my suggestion make samples as if you were a DJ buying records you can never have enuf also try EQing them and adding delay to them maybe changing the octave halfway through or something...on the track i did on here whorror drone there is an evil laugh that changes high pitched i over dubbed it and just turned up the octave knob on my sampler when the guy finishess laughing the 1st time and the rest is high pitched with delay....lot`s of times you can take samples and totally twist them....also there is this stupid thing called mixman i bought from my friend for 10 bucks for the soul purpose that it has samples in it and loops that you can just record as a single sound and cut it up into your own loop or sample....
27-01-2004 18:04
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

you have to be hard on yourself, push yourself to the limit. I have some 480 projects on my Pc, never completed because i thought it's not good enuff. Hell, i never like my tunes! I'm never satisfied with them. There's always something that can be better. Most of the time, you hear this long after it's finished.
Now, each time i make a tune, i check if the melody is catchy, if there's enuff variation, the sound, etc...
As you evolve as whizz said, you'll start to pay atention to more details. The biggest evolvement is sound, also the hardest one. I'd say a tune is about 40% creativity and 60% is working it out.

ez

__

Drop On Request
27-01-2004 19:28 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I have tons of unfinished choons to.
Sometimes I like something about a track, and throw the rest the whole other way, so I end up with a completely different track than I started with... don't be afraid of doing weird or experimental things...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2004 19:40 Homepage of Surya
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
don't be afraid of doing weird or experimental things...

remember that!

cheerz

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 27-01-2004 22:11.

27-01-2004 22:11 Homepage of Emblem-X
rorschach rorschach is a male
Cool Steppa

Registration Date: 24-08-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Qbit
you have to be hard on yourself, push yourself to the limit. I have some 480 projects on my Pc, never completed because i thought it's not good enuff. Hell, i never like my tunes! I'm never satisfied with them.

wow how long have you been producing then? 480 is alot.. I started 4 months ago and i have like 8 projects now.. and they all suck bigtime ;-]
i'm desperately waiting for the day i'll be satisfied with tunes Big Grin
28-01-2004 12:15 Homepage of rorschach
Glossy
Producer

Registration Date: 23-01-2004

248 unfinished rubish tracks so far Big Grin
28-01-2004 14:03
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

I used to force myself to finish tracks, knowing they were no good, just to have practice in structure and stuff... helped me a lot I think.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-01-2004 14:06 Homepage of Surya
Phazzy Phazzy is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

Well if its any consolation, your infinitely better than me!

__
Bigup
28-01-2004 16:11
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by rorschach
quote:
Originally posted by Qbit
you have to be hard on yourself, push yourself to the limit. I have some 480 projects on my Pc, never completed because i thought it's not good enuff. Hell, i never like my tunes! I'm never satisfied with them.

wow how long have you been producing then? 480 is alot.. I started 4 months ago and i have like 8 projects now.. and they all suck bigtime ;-]
i'm desperately waiting for the day i'll be satisfied with tunes Big Grin

i've been producing dnb for 4 years now, those 480 projects are from last year 'till now since i had a crash before. I'm in the 'studio' every fuckin day, every spare moment. And that are just the dnb projects... Big Grin

__

Drop On Request
28-01-2004 18:49 Homepage of Qbit
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Showoff Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-01-2004 21:56 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

I never get down to finishing a track either, I get like a good drumline or a good bassline or sometimes a nice melody works out from time to time, but getting them together into one track Cry somehow I can't seem to fit things together. once programmed a loop I liked very much, but got erased due to a computer crash. Luckily I still had it on my sampler & tried to make it again but I ended up with ten different versions without any of them having the sound of the original, that's the way it always goes when I try to make something, it might end up in something nice, but it's never what I wanted it to be...

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
01-02-2004 13:38 Homepage of djfreemc
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh, that's quite normal freemc, I have it all the time too, but I don't care if it's what I was going for or something different. As long as it's good...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

01-02-2004 15:58 Homepage of Surya
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Hehehe Smile Bigup nice replies I got here... Wink

Now, I started producing around 6 months ago... still habing those begginers' mistakes.. but I try to make good.. and I always finish a tune, no mater if I post it here, or not..

I have around 30 projects.. not much, but still, I'm proud with them! Wink

You all should be proud with your projects, even though if you think it's crap, cause crap, in reality, does not exist! We all make good stuff! Bigup

Now, what phazzy said, about me being "endlessly better" than him... hmm... don't think so.. At least as I can see difference between my and his tracks... Wink

I wanted to ask you guys, what you think about my inventivity? I mean, there is nothing (xcept the drum line) in my tunes that are similar or copied from some other tracks. I always use new instruments (piano, organ, flute, horn...) which create new tunes, based on INVENTIVITY Smile never copied a track, never will!

10x for responses, mates! Wink

__

-Bene Gesserit
01-02-2004 17:33 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Juz don't get it...