drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reading Meters
Go to the bottom of this page Reading Meters
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Does anyone do this? I heard somewhere someone say something like the bass should ideally only add +3dB gain to a mix.... to get a good mixdown... just wondering if anyone does this?

also, I should have realised it before, but apart from getting a mix sounding good, the more you seperate frequencies from eachother the louder you will be able to get a mix... Ive started using a spec. analyzer and if the kick and bass hit at even roughly the same frequencies, they will cause huge raises in the gain. also same with snare and hats...

At the moment Im basicly just trying to get my final mix as even as possible with no limiting or compression .... this is proving hard!

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
28-02-2008 11:50
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
Does anyone do this? I heard somewhere someone say something like the bass should ideally only add +3dB gain to a mix.... to get a good mixdown... just wondering if anyone does this?

also, I should have realised it before, but apart from getting a mix sounding good, the more you seperate frequencies from eachother the louder you will be able to get a mix... Ive started using a spec. analyzer and if the kick and bass hit at even roughly the same frequencies, they will cause huge raises in the gain. also same with snare and hats...

At the moment Im basicly just trying to get my final mix as even as possible with no limiting or compression .... this is proving hard!

yeah but it's the ultimate way to go !

don't be afraid to use compression as a tool for your bass/drums tho ...

__
It's a spiritual thing !

28-02-2008 13:08
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I do use compression etc on the drums n bass, I just want the master level to be even with nothing on the master... I reckon the snare and kick should be hitting 0 dB before the bass kicks in, i.e. there should be no extra gain when the bass goes in, for max. loudness

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
28-02-2008 23:16
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reading Meters