drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » What do you use for bass?
Go to the bottom of this page What do you use for bass?
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Just wondering what everyone uses for bass? Do you use samples, or a particular synth? Ive been using the ES1 in Logic for a while now, and thinking of getting Massive finally...Ive tried to use samples in the past but I just dont like them!

Do you usually use a synth sound for the whole bass, or layers, i.e.
Sine and synth on top? I tend to use just the one synth for the bass, with maybe some fx on top of that...

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
19-02-2008 11:26
collective collective is a male
TeamSleaze.com

Registration Date: 28-11-2006

i use a mixture of both to be honest

with samples you can tune them down to make them sound diffrent use plugins to twist the sounds up a bit more

synths are ok but some are kak massive is a good synth to use but mine keeps on crashing and cant work out why but yeah massive is good man try it out

__
did you know that some men go out with men not as freinds!!! huummm thats a bit odd aint it!!!!!!
19-02-2008 12:29 Homepage of collective
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

layers of synth, you wnat to sperate it from bass mid and top in a perfect world, bass adn top in normal world.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

19-02-2008 13:40 Homepage of Halph-Price
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

Just asking cos usually I can make a pretty decent full sounding bass with no layers, out of just one synth (es1), but yesterday I used a sine wave which I never usually do, and once you get it to sit well it is a really firm nice bottom end.... on top of that if you layer a really mid rangey synth, it sounds great!

__
21-02-2008 12:27
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

you make it from 1 to 4 layers really, it's just with more layers the more control you have and you have to do mroe work but usually with a better sound. i'll say at least 2 layers, which helps teh bass hav ea deeper cleaner bass. but a single rough bass noise works.

sine is the deepest and purest sound yuo can get because it is a single harmonic and nothing else.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-02-2008 15:13 Homepage of Halph-Price
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

Why is it the deepest sound you can get? Confused

__
22-02-2008 10:47
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

lol layering bass???? you gotta be kidding

instead try to separate the signal into several frequency ranges, that way you have more control over the sound

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
22-02-2008 18:46 Homepage of cynik
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

seperate the signal? i tend to layer my bass sound twice or three times, removing the low end from one and the high end from the other so im able to route them to different tracks on the mixer and eq, filter, automate etc independently, i.e. to preserve the low end while being able to mess about with automation sweeps on the mid/ high parts of the bass, is this what you mean cynik? or do you have a different method for seperating the signal?

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
24-02-2008 21:28 Homepage of Sephiroth
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

instead try to separate the signal into several frequency ranges, that way you have more control over the sound

not layering you noob, seperation. isolation, making each section of timber discret from eachother.

see you do this because of phase cancelation and other interesting reasons. if you have only 1 harmoinc running at the sub level it will be a pure oscillation without any distubance, giving the speakers a much more precsios push and making your pants jiggle if done right.

phase cancellations will stop the speakers from pushing all the way out and in, by another harmoinc making the speaker pulling in when your sub is going out.

also there's this werid thing that higher notes/harmonics can mask out lower notes/harmonics. like when yoo hear white noise you don't hear the 60hz because every other harmonic is playing, all you hear is the higher ones. the higher ones dominate over the lower ones.

if you don't care you can just make a big saw tooth and distort it and crank it and compress it and hope the sub is louder then the mid and that the top end isn't too harsh.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-02-2008 21:57 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by cynik

i didn't mean layering, i ment seperation. isolation, making each section of timber discret from eachother. with each layer you filter out the freq of the otehr ones. so ech layer is just a section of the bass, oops. i didn't mention.

see you do this because of phase cancelation and other interesting reasons. if you have only 1 harmoinc running at the sub level it will be a pure oscillation without any distubance, giving the speakers a much more precsios push and making your pants jiggle if done right.

phase cancellations will stop the speakers from pushing all the way out and in, by another harmoinc making the speaker pulling in when your sub is going out.

also there's this werid thing that higher notes/harmonics can mask out lower notes/harmonics. like when yoo hear white noise you don't hear the 60hz because every other harmonic is playing, all you hear is the higher ones. the higher ones dominate over the lower ones.

if you don't care you can just make a big saw tooth and distort it and crank it and compress it and hope the sub is louder then the mid and that the top end isn't too harsh.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-02-2008 21:59 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

so does phase cancellation occur when adding effects to a bass part, i.e. distorting a sine wave will addd harmonics to the mid/ top end but could cause phase cancellation on the very bottom end of the sound? have i got that right or am i rambling b*llocks?

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
24-02-2008 22:25 Homepage of Sephiroth
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

distortion add's harmonic or makes most harmonics more pronounced, so it masks a lot of bass. that's why it's good to control it it's hard.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-02-2008 02:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

[quote]Originally posted by Halph-Price
[quote]Originally posted by cynik

- Dude what are you talking about, seriously.

__
25-02-2008 11:49
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference

see when the sound is above the middle line the "zero point" it's pushing out the speaker, and below the line it's pulling int he speaker.

if you add two sounds of exact same freq it will double it, unless one is 180 egree's out of phase,(the pic ont he Right).

if there not directly together or completly out of phase, you'll hear phasing.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-02-2008 19:17.

25-02-2008 19:15 Homepage of Halph-Price
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

ok, i can kind of see what you are saying..... but you are talking about a sine wave being more powerful than any other bass... but if a square wave say was at the same volume, I dont think it would "push the speakers out" any more or less...... that is just volume...

__
25-02-2008 20:17
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

Keep it comin...

__
08-03-2008 13:53
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

all sounds are made up of sine waves. a square wave is made up of the odd harmonics of the note, each harmonic is a square wave. this is also due to cancellation that if you add allt eh sines at the same time they make a nice square.

this is from the theory of Additative synthesis. as oppose to subtracive which is what you get from synths like the Native's FM7/FM8 or Yamaha DX7.
most synths are addative synths,t aht use waveforms like square or sine or triangle, or any other combination fo is different mixtures of harmonics, or "sine" waves.

to go into harmonics, they are notes. the entire piano scale is mostly based off of harmonics in nature. so a square wave is all the even ones, so it's the first not then every other one up. so for these basic waveforms the closer they are to the first harmonic the louder they are they get mroe quite as it goes, so you genrally only hear the first 3 or 4, and the first 4 harmonics of the square , if you start from the C note going up is a major chord.

a nice bright happy major C. for dnb that fucking sucks. unless you want some happy choon? where as the waveform they use for most grimey bass is the sawtooth which is every third harmonic, which, starting from c, is every even note, which is the black keys going up, which is very dark. it even looks like half a square wave.

there's triangle which is every third note, and is why it sounds more like a sine wave then the other two because it's got less harmonics in it...

like it shows here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Waveforms.svg

so pure sines, make impure waveforms. but agian msot bass are from sawtooth, because they have a nice sound to them. 2 of them detuned from each other causes a nice "beat" which is the differnece between the notes makeing a third note that's much deeper. deepending on the loudness and the difference of the 2 notes.

or did i cover that already?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-03-2008 00:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I usually add three - four layers, my sub a sine wave, not doing too much to it, i usually cut avove 90hz, then the next layer usually in 3osc or Auger II for the main sound then copy that layer then bypass it and hi pass it if needed.

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
12-03-2008 11:17
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

y cut if a sine has no harmonics? why eq at all?

__
13-03-2008 19:02
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

as u know sub bass is 90hz and below, so may as well cut the freqs above

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
13-03-2008 22:07
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » What do you use for bass?