drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Looking for a Mac
Go to the bottom of this page Looking for a Mac
Author
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Hi people,
I am considering whether or not to get a mac so that i can make my tunes on logic. I hear really good things about the duo and as i am going to uni next year (They all use macs and logic) thought this would be a wise move.

So i need to know a few things about Macs:

Are they really that good? Why do macs seem to be the best computers for anything media related?

I see that the specifications in a mac are less powerfull then what you can get in a pc for the money. Is it that macs need less processing power etc to run? why do they cost more for the spec? is it worth it? etc

What macs to you recommend for making music? Where can i get a good deal?
Theres quite a lot to answer there but any help would be appreciated. Im a total novice when it comes to macs so im looking to my trusty DnB community for help.

Thanks people!

__
Art For Your Ears...
04-02-2008 22:06
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I use a new iMac at work everyday for graphic design projects and it's fantastic. It does have a few glitches now and then tho (like not being able to close down properly when I try to quickly close a load of copied, heavy-weight programs and attempt to shut down within about 30 seconds), but it's never caused a problem because once it's turn on again, everything is back to normal.

A major advantage of a Mac is that there aren't as many viruses out there that are designed to attack them. Most viruses are developed with maxiumum impact in mind - meaning, they create them for PCs (and Internet Explorer). Incidentally, I'd recommend you use Firefox - less virus prone than IE and much cleaner and easier to use!

I'm not a Mac expert at all but I don't find any issues with it having a slightly smaller spec than some PCs. It handles large files very well. Obviously, it's how you use the memory and space that counts, and Macs seems pretty efficient with minimal background shit going on.

The new Mac also come with some very nifty software. Muuuuuuch better than the Microsoft wank you get on PCs. Ironically, even the new Microsoft programs that have now been developed to work on Macs are much better to use on Macs! They are a lot more fuctional and easy to use (I use them everyday).

I really don't know much about the music producing side of things on a Mac tho. Frown I'm stuck with an ordinary laptop at home running XP and I can't afford a Mac. If I could, I'd get one tomorrow.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
04-02-2008 22:48 Homepage of Tomos
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

or how about the mac's phycological warfare of when there's an update you got likethe safari browser jumping up and down at the bottem of the screen like a fucking jack russle tarrier.

the mac is ment for computer idiots. hence why the advertising works so well for them. they advertise you can do pictures and music in a mac, like pc doens't have ANY pic or music......

you do not, i repeat DO NOT hear them say "the mac is mroe stable." i can asure you, int eh music world, the pc is more stable. i have used both in many enviroments.

like all thoes glitches the mac has that YOU WILL encounter, you do not find on the beautiful WINDOWS XP SP2.

just want to also say it's ironic because i find mac's better for excel and word then pc's Logic is the only reason to use mac for music, and that's only if you have a lot of hardware and vocal recording you do as well.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-02-2008 01:42.

05-02-2008 01:41 Homepage of Halph-Price
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

One thing i am still unsure about with macs is the specifications. Why do you pay so much more for a lower spec when you go with mac? Does anyone have a technical explenation for this?

Im just thinking: My pc at the moment is a pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1gig ram, 2 80gig HDD, soundblaster XFi... And it can handle my audio needs reasonably well. The problem is that once i build up a tune is starts to crackle and lag.

So if i get a mac book pro with a Intel Core 2 duo and 2-4 gig ram, will this be able to handle all my audio needs for making DnB? Would it be more efficiant than a PC with the same spec?

__
Art For Your Ears...
11-02-2008 17:55
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by Nebulizer
One thing i am still unsure about with macs is the specifications. Why do you pay so much more for a lower spec when you go with mac? Does anyone have a technical explenation for this?

Im just thinking: My pc at the moment is a pentium 4 3.4GHz, 1gig ram, 2 80gig HDD, soundblaster XFi... And it can handle my audio needs reasonably well. The problem is that once i build up a tune is starts to crackle and lag.

So if i get a mac book pro with a Intel Core 2 duo and 2-4 gig ram, will this be able to handle all my audio needs for making DnB? Would it be more efficiant than a PC with the same spec?

the answer is component quality, macs consistently contain high quality components (talking mac pro's and macbooks), while consumer pc's come mostly with crappy mobo's, crappy ram, crappy media drives etc ... hence the cost

if you buy a pc with the same specs, and the same quality RAM, same quality motherboard, same quality onboard soundgear & speakers (for the laptops that is), same quality housing,
believe me, you WILL pay as much as you're paying your mac

__
It's a spiritual thing !

13-02-2008 00:35
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
quote:
Originally posted by Nebulizer

the answer is component quality, macs consistently contain high quality components (talking mac pro's and macbooks), while consumer pc's come mostly with crappy mobo's, crappy ram, crappy media drives etc ... hence the cost

if you buy a pc with the same specs, and the same quality RAM, same quality motherboard, same quality onboard soundgear & speakers (for the laptops that is), same quality housing,
believe me, you WILL pay as much as you're paying your mac

A pc (laptop) might be a little bit cheaper maybe, but not much. The mac looks 10 times better though. Quality still is expensive.

On the pc you have a wider range of software, more hardware add-ons, ... more people to collab with, ...

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-02-2008 00:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Looking for a Mac