drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » get the sound right?
Go to the bottom of this page get the sound right?
Author
Cool Steppa

Registration Date: 24-08-2003

hi all
i've been trying to make some breaks since a few months now; i'm trying it the hard way by writing all patterns myself instead of chopping up breaks, you might call me an idiot for that Big Grin but hopefully this will serve me in understanding how to create a certain feeling in the music..
Now i have alot of questions, way too much to ask here, in fact, sometimes i start hating producing because of having too much questions about it i can't answer Huh

Anyway, my beats always sounded like a just bunch of drums thrown together, untill i rewired reason into cubase and discovered Amplitube and TubeVST: somehow these glue all the parts together (although Amplitube also seems to take away stereo..); now does anyone know to achieve this 'glue' effect without using these plugins?

Another thing i can't get right: decent tunes mostly sound like all drums 'sit' in the baseline, even elements that are panned... How is this done? I tried splitting the base, panning one all left and a slightly delayed 2nd panned all right, but this doesn't seem to do the trick..

Finally, are there things that don't work in a cracked Cubase version but that do work in a legal one?
I've noticed that some heavy plugins create delays, ok i understand this, but shouldn't cubase be compensating this by delaying all other tracks too then? I'm not very sure about this, but sometimes my break sounds 'slow' when i add plugins on the percussion while leaving the kick unaffected, could it be that the percussion is delayed thereby creating a laid back feel? Confused

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!! Bigup
14-01-2004 21:06 Homepage of rorschach
CH3M!K
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-75.jpg

Registration Date: 19-01-2003

quote:
Anyway, my beats always sounded like a just bunch of drums thrown together, untill i rewired reason into cubase and discovered Amplitube and TubeVST: somehow these glue all the parts together (although Amplitube also seems to take away stereo..); now does anyone know to achieve this 'glue' effect without using these plugins?

i think that's because you process them together... If you put them all throught the same line of effects, they'll be processed a bit more in the same way too... You can do this by compressing them together too it think.

quote:
Another thing i can't get right: decent tunes mostly sound like all drums 'sit' in the baseline, even elements that are panned... How is this done? I tried splitting the base, panning one all left and a slightly delayed 2nd panned all right, but this doesn't seem to do the trick..

eq'ing? i read a nice theory about this here:
http://www.dnbscene.com/articles.php?mode=display&id=79

if you combine bassline and kicks with smart subtractive eq, they fit into eachother, but still as powerfull as they sound alone...

quote:
Finally, are there things that don't work in a cracked Cubase version but that do work in a legal one?
I've noticed that some heavy plugins create delays, ok i understand this, but shouldn't cubase be compensating this by delaying all other tracks too then? I'm not very sure about this, but sometimes my break sounds 'slow' when i add plugins on the percussion while leaving the kick unaffected, could it be that the percussion is delayed thereby creating a laid back feel?

can't help ya here, i buy my software Tongue
14-01-2004 22:55
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

you should try to keep the bass mono...a nice trick is to boost the kick drum somewhere around 90hz and then notch the bass at 90hz so they don't compete against each other...

__

14-01-2004 23:24
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

bass always mono...! especially when your focusing on vinyl as and endproduct.
cd/whatsoever...stereo is quite good, though you can get that "wobble" feeling, when the bass comes in.

as for basskicks it doens't matter

though i found out, i can let my basskicks sound harder when in mono without losing room for the other sounds.

but then again duno, whats best... i guess it depends track by track...

for basslines...well...i am not gonna brag, it's something you'll have to find out for yourself...
but especially for subs...don't use samples.
build a synth for that.
layer it slighty detuned, and run a filter hp/lp depending... to it to scrape the hi ends off..not too much...
that's what recently made my own tunes sound deeper and more packed...(imo guys...again don't wanna brag)

YET then again, some like "open" tunes..others don't.
i think it's wrong to try making it as compact as pendulum does fe. or as wide as fe. the guys from kryptic minds does.

but with the tips here posted in this thread you'll sort it out quick i guess...

Pleased

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
15-01-2004 05:10 Homepage of saphir
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Agree on the subs part: I always use a simple sine generator that I layer under the bassline, to phatten things up

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

15-01-2004 09:28 Homepage of Surya
rorschach rorschach is a male
Cool Steppa

thanks for the answers ! !
Last night i indeed found out that my eq settings weren't good enough, after i downloaded the Inspector VST: a spectrum analyzer really is the shit if using subtractive eq'ing Bigup I could see immedeately what freqs to cut on the bass to let the kick come through..
I'll check all your other tips tonight, can't wait actually, too bad I have only CoolEdit at work Frown
15-01-2004 10:41 Homepage of rorschach
rorschach rorschach is a male
Cool Steppa

ok after messin around hours with eq it seemed an unsolvable problem: beat at itself was ok, base at itself too but brought together it still sucked...
Then i threw in a reverb followed by multi band comp on the base, and WIIEHIEE suddenly my track started to sound somewhat professional! I wish I had used reverb from the beginning.. kinda powerful if u ask me now. Also multiband compression is the shit for my base: incredible how tweakable the sound gets using this..
20-01-2004 17:52 Homepage of rorschach
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » get the sound right?