drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...
Go to the bottom of this page Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Oh Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
30-12-2008 13:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Very, very good document on hearing loss and protection:

LOUD MUSIC AND HEARING DAMAGE

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
04-01-2009 13:43 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-01-2009

Good thread! I too find hi-hats extremely tedious. The worst part of production for me, is definately the hihats, they hit a part of your ear that is beyond any ringing. I've had a few pain spikes. I also find you can strain your ears by listening to hard. If you don't notice the hi-hats they don't seem to bother you, but if you focus on and say picking them out for mixingdown/compression it can realy hurt! I often have to turn the speakers down instantly or take the headphones out immiedietly!
23-01-2009 20:31
cng361
Tourist

Registration Date: 07-06-2009

i too have some hearing damage but i'm grateful it's only with in a certain range that i hear muffle speech . 8 years in the military hearing jets take off with in yards of me and bomb blasts do take it's toll, even with hearing protection. but i can still hear mids highs and lows very well i think it's something about speech that i cannot distinguish well.. i'm one of those people that say " what did you just say?" quite often
23-06-2009 17:05
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by cng361
i too have some hearing damage but i'm grateful it's only with in a certain range that i hear muffle speech . 8 years in the military hearing jets take off with in yards of me and bomb blasts do take it's toll, even with hearing protection. but i can still hear mids highs and lows very well i think it's something about speech that i cannot distinguish well.. i'm one of those people that say " what did you just say?" quite often

It is very important to use hearing protection at work if available. I work as a printer and after 15 odd years of running large presses, I have certrainly damaged my hearing. It isn't really just going to a loud rave/gig for a few hours that does the damage, it far more damaging from day in, day out exposure to loud noise.

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
24-06-2009 00:15
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
quote:
Originally posted by cng361

It is very important to use hearing protection at work if available. I work as a printer and after 15 odd years of running large presses, I have certrainly damaged my hearing. It isn't really just going to a loud rave/gig for a few hours that does the damage, it far more damaging from day in, day out exposure to loud noise.

Yeah, I agree with you. I started wearing plugs even when going to the bus station, as the accelerating and braking of the buses creates immense noise that makes my ears hurt!
Or at least, put my earphones from my phone, which cancels a bit of noise (I assume about 7 - 10 dB).

__

-Bene Gesserit
24-06-2009 01:17 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Oh Bigup

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-06-2009 02:16 Homepage of Halph-Price
Katie_xoxo

images/avatars/avatar-2904.jpg

Registration Date: 02-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

thank you Smile
03-09-2009 16:25
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Just ordered a box of 240 pairs of these:

I also have custom made molded earplugs with linear frequency response, but those are not sufficient in some situations.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
03-09-2009 16:41 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Just ordered a box of 240 pairs of these:

I also have custom made molded earplugs with linear frequency response, but those are not sufficient in some situations.

like this?

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-09-2009 18:47 Homepage of cynik
LPF

Registration Date: 26-10-2009

I could swear I have bad tinnitus at times due to headphone usage! Sometimes if I take off my head phones, for a few minutes everything sounds like it's been run through a flanger, weird shit. I try and listen low and use spectral analysis to help tweak things instead fo whacking up the volume.

I've scared the shit out of myself a few times wearing phones when accidentally moving the mouse using something like a waveshapper and it kills my ears! Bad stuff.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LPF: 27-10-2009 15:08.

27-10-2009 15:05
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

some time ago, one side of my headphones broke down, so i cut it off, and some time later my other headphone started making these noises..
after I listend to a track, no matter what the volume was, my ear just felt like somebody put a pencil in real deep.
so bought new headphones, and It's over, hope this didnt ruin my ear completely.
I'm very young, so I need to be aware of Db's, for example when making a tune, I like to turn it up a lil, so i can hear everything clear.
but after a while, when i take a break, my hearing is much less for an hour orso.
so I stopped doing that, don't wanna lose my hearing.

no music, no life!

good topic, people need to be aware.

__

The One - Age Break
12-12-2009 23:42
any1

Registration Date: 15-08-2010

I can’t but agree.

__
Come visit the author latest websites on cheap jerseys and cheap nfl jerseys .you can get what you want.
15-08-2010 13:06
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

if you live in the uk,
you can get a free hearing test from any Leightons opticians.
well worth it to get things checked out.
especial if your getting a little worried that you cant hear the missuses screaming at you after a good head phone session Smile

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
15-08-2010 13:38
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

LPF: The worst is when you put the waveshaper on bipolar mode and make a straight vertical line...

AgeBreak: Same thing is happening to me with these Skullcandy headphones, i feel like i lose midrange whenever i take them off, even if i listen real quiet the whole time

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

02-12-2010 05:53
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

When messing with waveshaping or boosting stuff it is a good idea to move your headphones partly off your ears.
The worst thing for me are drums that have a hard attack and no tail you can feel a certain "pulsation" on your eardrums, especially with clicky hihats.

When I see all these very young people with their iPods and Big Sennheiser or Skull Candy headphones playing at levels where I can sing along, I get worried about their hearing in 20 years. It will be bad, the questions is HOW bad.

Atleast on here young producers get aware of the damage caused by constant high volumes of sound on their ears. Party people and home listeners usually have no clue of what they are doing.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
02-12-2010 09:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
timmehhurts timmehhurts is a male
Her Jade Eyes

images/avatars/avatar-3330.jpg

Registration Date: 14-03-2011

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

This was definately a great thread. i have been worried about my hearing for a while as i keep getting colds leading to blocked ears and increased high pitch squealy sounds perminantly.

i remember once my friend was sending my wav samples of a bassline he was working on, they were quite low volume so i turned the volme up, the next one he sent was a pearcing squeal of a distorted bassline and he had doubled the volume, it hurt so much and i didn tlisten to music for about a week.

anyway my main point is, im no longer going to stick my head inside bass speakers and im going to get some earplugs (i have worn them already to the last few gigs)

__
I <3 Bass

Her Jade Eyes
Soundcloud
Facebook

21-04-2011 14:07 Homepage of timmehhurts
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 3 [4]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...