drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Need help with drums
Go to the bottom of this page Need help with drums
Author
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Hi people,
I been trying to improve my beats recently but im looking to try out a new style. I have been using a lot of drum samples, mixing and matching, distroting, equing and so on; and im getting some nice sounding drums now. But all these sampled beats sound a bit jungly. Dont get me wrong, that isnt a bad thing but i wanna make some new tracks with more of a jump up feel.

If you go to any bate DnB rave nowadays and see the mainstream DJs like Andy C, DJ Hype, Fabio, Grooverider, chase & Status etc, most of there beats have this jump up type feel - pretty simple "kick snare.... kick snare" patterns.

So my question to you guys is how can i reacreate this type of beat? One of my biggest problems is getting the high hat sounding right. Are there any sample CDs that are good for this type of beat?

Any tips would be great.
(If i was too unclear, tell me and ill try to clarify) Tongue

Safe"!

__
Art For Your Ears...
04-01-2008 23:05
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

layers! and use some clean samples. the davide carbone samples are very good. search for them cos they are worth it mate

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

04-01-2008 23:07 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

yeah, i actually bought that carbone cd and it is really good. But the drums seem a bit too "shakers and bongos" for the beats im talking about.

I need something with a nice harsh hi hat but cleanish kick and snare. trying to describe it is hard just thinking form memory, but when im at any comercial DnB rave, i can see the similarity in all the beats. This is something i cant seem to recreate.

How do you guys go about making your beats of a similar style to what im talking bout? any more tips?

Safe

__
Art For Your Ears...
05-01-2008 01:59
philbee philbee is a male
Future beats for the streets

images/avatars/avatar-2742.jpg

Registration Date: 18-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

The best thing to do would be to cut up and snatch the one shots from the carbone cd usin wavelab or something like that also
click here

and try some of the tc breaks always good for one shots and that
but basically its all about layers and layers and adding swing to yah breaks
Drummer

__
Philbee Soundcloud
05-01-2008 15:43 Homepage of philbee
Invent Invent is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

good samples = half the effort
subtle (and good) percussion = 1/4 the effort
good programming of drums = 1/4 the effort
and mixing (including eq)= 1/4 the effort..

the jump tracks those big names have that you mentioned contain all these 4 elements... i believe effects and distortion are subtle additions..

i know they dont add up the fractions but you cant eq a sample well thats already shit if you know what i mean Wink

there are quite good sample packs out there... i would mostly stay with the big names for quality if you have the money... you know towards ewql, vengeance, sample packs on here are pretty good, battery (native instruments samples) etc
05-01-2008 17:14 Homepage of Invent
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Need help with drums