Go to the bottom of this page Vista soundcard compatibility
Author
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

EZ Peeps

So over xmas I lost a valued friend, my fujitsu siemens laptop. Have bought a replacement - Acer Intel core 2 duo, 2 gb ram etc. Nice machine. Unfortunately have had to go with Vista home premium as XP appears not to be an option anymore. Mad

Any way, my M Audio firewire Audiophile is clashing badly with vista and refuses to install, anyone had similar issues with the swap to vista? Or can anyone recommend a firewire / usb audio interface that works well with vista?

Cheers

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

26-12-2007 20:30 Homepage of Binary Havoc
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

The available Vista driver for that card is still beta and it's over 6 month old Confused
That's not very pretty work they show there.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-12-2007 10:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah totally drone, dont know what goes on with that, currently waiting for a reply from m audio tech support

__

27-12-2007 18:07 Homepage of Binary Havoc
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Lame shit going on. I'm no Vista fan at all, many people say that they don't see the "big advantage" in using Vista. You can install XP on the machine, might as well try it...

__
28-12-2007 11:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I actually bought a seperate license of XP and erased Vista so I can finally use my audio apps on my laptop.

I have waited for nearly a year now for proper support for Vista, but a month ago I finally gave up and bought an XP license. If I knew it in advance I would have never bought a laptop with vista preinstalled.

Fuck it, XP works great, it's much faster in all respects, everything works as expected and you don't get any useless warnings from the OS.

Now I'm surprised that I actually lasted 10 months on Vista. It's such a bitch. It's so fucking slow, even basic stuff like file copying or opening files etc. It seems like it wants you to wait for 2 seconds for every stupid little action that you take. It refuses to run certain programs at startup. It basically does not allow you to use YOUR computer the way you want to.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-12-2007 14:47 Homepage of thechronic
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Despite all this (I hear very little positive feedback about it) Microsoft push it into the business as if it were the best thing that ever happened to pc's Frown

I agree on what you did Chron, but imagine just how sick it is... having to spend money on being allowed to downgrade your pc. And in the near future even that will no longer bee possible.

I went to The Music Store (Cologne) this morning and talked to some peeps there. They always advice people to buy an xp licence to work around driver shit. I bought my (desktop)pc at a very little shop and I told the guy who built it that I would only buy it if I could still get it with XP...

If some good DAW would come available for Linux I'd switch right now. That fucking Microsoft dominance has been there long enough. They either ruin other software by pumping huge amounts of cash into software development and then give it away for free (browser, virtual machine software, Software development,...) and once they own the market the don't continue development.

No wonder Apple is steadily gaining users.

__
28-12-2007 15:15 Homepage of BattleDrone
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

I tell you what the biggest fuckin problem with this is. I wanted to buy a machine running XP, I was totally happy with XP and my set up was workin really well.
As there were literally no machines for sale running XP, I went for the "best" version of Vista running on the best machine I could afford. Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Foolishly I thought that as vista had been out for so long now, I might find a few problems remaining but nothing as basic as 64 bit audio driver support from a company the size of M audio.

It now transpires that if i'd got a 32 bit version of vista, M audio have the 32 bit drivers available and I would at least be able to carry on producing with my current audio interface. As I went for the "better" quality Operating system I have effectively shot myself in the foot and now have to wait for M Audio to come up with 64 bit drivers or go out and spend more money buying a new interface from someone who does have 64 bit audio driver support for vista

Bunch of arse

Confused

__

28-12-2007 16:11 Homepage of Binary Havoc
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Couldn't sum it all up any better dude.
Tough luck. Go for XP...
Vista Strarter supports 32 bit, but it's so lame.

Just a thought: Did you try to download the most recent xp driver .exe from the m-audio site. Right click and choose properties and choose "run in xp mode" or something like that. It's not perfect, but it's better than no drivers at all.

__
28-12-2007 16:47 Homepage of BattleDrone
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

Thnx drone

I read something similar on a site somewhere Ill give it a go

__

28-12-2007 17:44 Homepage of Binary Havoc