drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Renoise style/FL 7 interface
Go to the bottom of this page Renoise style/FL 7 interface
Author

images/avatars/avatar-2391.jpg

Registration Date: 15-08-2007

So, I absolutely love a lot of things about FL 7, but as the former name would suggest, the interface is far more conducive to loops, and when I try to make a large variety of (slightly) different patterns, things get so messy. I really like the linear sequencing style of renoise, but the rest of the program is so time consuming to operate. I've tried just making everything in one pattern in FL, but then it gets almost impossible to remember where parts of the song are within the pattern. Does anyone know of a program that combines FL studio's ease of use with renoise's sequencing style? Or if not, does anyone know a really good way to do the same with FL? Right now it just doesn't offer the compositional flexibility I need, but I'm still hesitant to give up its excellent effects/VST support, etc...

__
TRON robot apocalypse
05-12-2007 14:57 Homepage of troncrawdaddy
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

try reason

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
05-12-2007 21:19 Homepage of cynik
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
try reason

But Reason doesn't support VSTs right?

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
05-12-2007 22:12 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Maybe you should try to optimise your workflow within FL, because you seem to have an approach that leads to chaos.

After you made a couple of basic things in a pattern, split it up so all elements are in different patterns, I tend to do this manually because it works well and gives you loads of control over the process.
Make sure you name all patterns in the playlist. Use clear names like :main drums, drum variation, intro drums, build up 1, bassline, bassline 2, stabs, vocal, pads, pads2, breakdown FX,... etc. You'll get the hang of it.
Rearrange the order of the patterns if needed so that all drum stuff comes first, (first kicks, then snares, breaks, hihats, percussion), then bass (first subs, then mids), then leads, next pads, vocals and finally "others". This is the way I tend to order things so I know where to search when I need something. I do this very strickt because composing is about creativity towards sounds and melodies, not towards searching for stuff and getting frustrated about it.
This way you can use quite a lot of lines in the playlist, but it gives you maximum flexibility.
For FX channels I use exactly the same approach, make sure everything gets a proper name and order them correctly.

Avoid the use of colours when giving names if possible because this makes it very difficult to see which items are highlighted.

Moving a pattern up or down in the playlist is very easy with ALT+ARROW UP or ALT+ ARROW DOWN. Moving a FX channel left right is ALT + ARROW LEFT/RIGHT.

Read the FL studio bible if you can, a lot of very handy shortcuts are explained in there.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-12-2007 23:01 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Try to get used to using automation/pattern clips. They make the whole workflow really better and faster.
I also like the editing style in reason, where the patterns just add up on the playlist, and not stick together in one giant pattern like in FL. But pattern clips is a great way to solve that. Try it, it helped me.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-12-2007 00:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I never use pattern clips... I have a tracker background (like Renoise nowadays) and there everything used to be in a pattern too. So I like the approach.

__
06-12-2007 00:37 Homepage of BattleDrone
troncrawdaddy

images/avatars/avatar-2391.jpg

Registration Date: 15-08-2007

wow, thanks a lot guys. @ battledrone, I break things down like that usually, but i am pretty sloppy when it comes to keeping shit all organized/named/etc, and i almost NEVER name effects, but it definitely sounds like some solid advice, and i'll try being more disciplined with the organization in my next proj. @Muad'Dib, thank you too. i already use automation clips like crazy, it gives things a much more musical/less pre-fab feel. as for the pattern clips, i'm smacking myself in the forehead right now because the idea struck me a few weeks ago at work, but i totally forgot to use them on my most recent 3 or 4 projects. pattern clips is a great idea, it helps a lot when i can visualize what's going on within a pattern/with respect to whats going on in other patterns, definitely more useful than the opaque gray boxes of the playlist thingey. oh and one more thing, does reason support VST? if not, is there a different format of 3rd party plugins or a way to port VST's to a reason-acceptable format? i've heard good things about the program, but not being able to throw all those effects at it would make me hesitant to get too into it.

__
TRON robot apocalypse
08-12-2007 06:52 Homepage of troncrawdaddy
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Reason and VST: Answer to all you quesntions: NO
Big Grin

It does not

__
08-12-2007 13:46 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Renoise style/FL 7 interface