drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Focusrite liquid mix users?
Go to the bottom of this page Focusrite liquid mix users?
Author
MYSTIC

images/avatars/avatar-2135.gif

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.25

Ez all,

I was wondering is anyone here uses the Focusrite liquid mix?

i've been hearing lots of good things about these and am thinking of maybe investing in one...

any thoughts?

__

info/tunes :: MySpace
24-11-2007 10:30
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

It's rather expensive (€600 to 700) and my hardware does not allow it to work this way, so I guess I'll have to stick to software for now, but it gets very positive reviews.
I guess you should have a hands-on session with it in a major music shop.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
24-11-2007 11:12 Homepage of BattleDrone
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
It's rather expensive (€600 to 700) and my hardware does not allow it to work this way, so I guess I'll have to stick to software for now, but it gets very positive reviews.
I guess you should have a hands-on session with it in a major music shop.

yeah ok it's not cheap but compare it to what a pro hardware compressor will set you back its a pretty decent price...and u get severall models here plus eq's.
The most appealing factor for me is the integration within yr sequencer like a pluggin (wich would seriously give my system more resources for processing other things i think)

been meaning to go test it out for a while now but i'd like to hear some user-opinions first.

any views on this would be helpful Smile

__

24-11-2007 11:41
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I've got a friend that recently bought one and he says its the dogs

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

24-11-2007 13:44 Homepage of D2o
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

atm i'm working for the focusrite distribution in belgium and i've got one to test here at home, it's absolutely the shit, and more than worth the money, it saves a fucking big load of cpu power, certainly in this kind of music, don't have to tell you that.

the only downside is that it requires a dedicated firewire bus, so if you have only one firewire bus (like i do on my otherwise monstrous laptop Smile ) you're completely unable to hook anything else up to your firewire slots. like f.e. if you have a firewire soundcard you have to unhook it and mix on another soundcard
which is pretty shitty if you only have that one Smile

otherwise on tower-based homepc's it's an easy job to go get an extra firewire pci card (every 1394 card you insert on a different pci slut gives you a seperate 1394 bus) and they're not too expensive (about 50 euro for a decent texas instruments card)

+ if you're working at 44.1 samplerate (which you're mostly doing if you're not making music for video, or any other type of digital hyperquality samplerate)
you get up to 32 channels of dedicated processing.

so yeah, if you're intrested in elevating your compressing and eq'ing power seriously, it's a damn fine investment!

__
It's a spiritual thing !

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by -J-: 28-11-2007 14:24.

28-11-2007 14:21
daze_DND daze_DND is a male
MYSTIC

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
atm i'm working for the focusrite distribution in belgium and i've got one to test here at home, it's absolutely the shit, and more than worth the money, it saves a fucking big load of cpu power, certainly in this kind of music, don't have to tell you that.

the only downside is that it requires a dedicated firewire bus, so if you have only one firewire bus (like i do on my otherwise monstrous laptop Smile ) you're completely unable to hook anything else up to your firewire slots. like f.e. if you have a firewire soundcard you have to unhook it and mix on another soundcard
which is pretty shitty if you only have that one Smile

otherwise on tower-based homepc's it's an easy job to go get an extra firewire pci card (every 1394 card you insert on a different pci slut gives you a seperate 1394 bus) and they're not too expensive (about 50 euro for a decent texas instruments card)

+ if you're working at 44.1 samplerate (which you're mostly doing if you're not making music for video, or any other type of digital hyperquality samplerate)
you get up to 32 channels of dedicated processing.

so yeah, if you're intrested in elevating your compressing and eq'ing power seriously, it's a damn fine investment!

cheers man, many thanks for yr views on this...
seriously considering to make this my next studio-upgrade.

__

29-11-2007 13:54
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

How does this work exactly?

(how I think it works...)
- Your daw generates sound using samples or VST's
- This sound travels through the Firewire buss into the compressors and EQ's of Focusrite
- Through the Firewire buss it is returned to the daw
- Finallly played on your normal soundcard

It says you require protools 7.something.... Is this intended as "If you use Protools, you need version7.something" or do they intend to say "You need protools to use this shizzle[full stop]"?

__
29-11-2007 15:19 Homepage of BattleDrone
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
How does this work exactly?

(how I think it works...)
- Your daw generates sound using samples or VST's
- This sound travels through the Firewire buss into the compressors and EQ's of Focusrite
- Through the Firewire buss it is returned to the daw
- Finallly played on your normal soundcard

It says you require protools 7.something.... Is this intended as "If you use Protools, you need version7.something" or do they intend to say "You need protools to use this shizzle[full stop]"?

IF you use pro tools, you need 7.x
it works mighty fine on every vst/au-supporting daw tho

i'm using it for some time now and man ... if that ain't worth the money, i don't know what is

as daze said already, go fetch a hardware compressor (a decent one), only one can cost you up to 6000 euro
and okay, admitted, it's not the REAL thing, but it comes really close
and the audio over firewire works very neatly, zero latency, no problems
at the moment i'm working on a saffire pro and a liquid mix running on the same IEE1394 bus on a macbook pro (saffire in the 400 slot, liquid in the 800 slot) and so far so good, no firewire problems whatsoever

__
It's a spiritual thing !

06-02-2008 09:34
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I think the weakest link on my side is still the lack of skills, so I'm not going after this one right now Big Grin

__
06-02-2008 10:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Focusrite liquid mix users?