drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » What type of earplugs should I get?
Go to the bottom of this page What type of earplugs should I get?
Author
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I went to the alternative music night at university last night (was awesome, they played aphex twin :p) but by the end of the night my hearing was shot Tongue My hearing seems ok now but I think i need to get some earplugs if I'm going to be doing it often :p
I'm tryin to keep my ears in good condition if I wanna pass my course Smile

Im looking to spend roughly 50-60 quid and ideally I'm looking for some custom moulded ones with a flat-frequency attenuation (makes it quieter without things sounding muffled)

i live in england so i cant buy from any foreign companies if theyre to be a custom fit pair :p

anyone know of any good brands or models?

__
My Myspace
14-11-2007 23:37
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

cheers, ear plug's are usually and should be fully available at your local pharmacy, i work at a pharmacy, so me knows it, u can get the gell, foam,, or plastic, gell work's best for me, big cheers.

__
Space

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by equipped: 15-11-2007 07:59.

15-11-2007 07:50
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I have THESE

Really good for the price and they dont fuck with the frequencies too much......can get closer to the sub and fell the bass without fucking with my ears Teeth

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

15-11-2007 12:18 Homepage of D2o
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

I'm in a small practice room every week for three hours with a grindcore band who like to rock out at the highest possible volume.

At the moment i'm wearing these, either the max lite or the laser lite.

I find them pretty comfortable to wear for three hours and the noise reduction is excellent. Not sure if they might reduce noise a bit too much for club night though. I think at snorestore you can buy a sample pack of different types which may be a good way of finding out what's best for you.
15-11-2007 17:01
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

for me i found them avalible at corner store sin Canada

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-11-2007 19:26 Homepage of Halph-Price
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

i have custom molded daily wear ear plugs with a -18db filter on it for the job sites. i already have some small amount of hearing damage in my left ear. and to prevent it.. i wear em all day .. ... kinda sucks, but i wanna keep what i have.

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
16-11-2007 05:02 Homepage of Arkitekt
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

-18 is that much, but it can make the differnece for how soon you get ear dmg, 150 db you can get ear dmg in 10 min, 10 db lower and it can take up to 8 hours until you get ear dmg.

150 is about a normal concert.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-11-2007 17:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I believe the approximations were:

85dB - 8 hours
95dB - 4 hours
105dB - 2 hours
115dB - 1 hour
125dB - 1/2 hour
135dB - 15 minutes
145dB - 7,5 minutes etc.

And a normal concert is about 105-115 db, I believe. (it depends really on where are you standing, and whether the speakers are right in your ears)

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
16-11-2007 17:56 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
150 db you can get ear dmg in 10 min

Hmm, but I've been to tonnes of rock and metal concerts without ear plugs and it hasn't affected my hearing (well, I haven't noticed it yet anyway). I've even stood next to the speakers at a Machine Head and Slayer gig without ear plugs. That's about 2 1/2 hours of bone-shattering volume. What I've noticed is that pretty quickly your ears adapt to the high volume by numbing them - the end of a gig never seems as loud as the start.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Tomos: 16-11-2007 18:20.

16-11-2007 18:19 Homepage of Tomos
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Alot depends on the quality of the sound system too.

If its distorting9even slightly) it'll be essentially be pushing square waves down your ear which will cause you more damage to your ear drum

a 110db clean sound is noway as bad as a 110db distorted sound.

I've been to see the valve system a few times now and stood quite near the speakers for hours and my ears have been fine but i've been to places with quieter systems (but are pushed too hard) and they have fucked my ears for several hours after and into the next day.

My point being that the valve has alot of power and because of that it doesnt have to be cranked up hard to be loud so there's less distortion in the sound.

sure i could of said that alot clearer but cba to write it again, i think you'll get my gist Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

16-11-2007 21:04 Homepage of D2o
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

this is the thing, is that you DO NOT notice hearing damage! but it's also frequency specific.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

17-11-2007 06:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
What I've noticed is that pretty quickly your ears adapt to the high volume by numbing them - the end of a gig never seems as loud as the start.

That's called Mastering, my friend Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
17-11-2007 11:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
What I've noticed is that pretty quickly your ears adapt to the high volume by numbing them - the end of a gig never seems as loud as the start.

That's called Mastering, my friend Big Grin

Yeah, of course dude. But it's definately true that your ears are usually numbed at the end of a gig, which doesn't make it seem as loud.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
17-11-2007 13:23 Homepage of Tomos
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it's the little bones in your ears shift to protect them from harsh sounds. it shifts the threshold of hearing. to being way up, but with this said, it's also why you don't have to ahve your music fucking blaring high pitch loud, because no matter how loud it is, your ears will adapt to it.

usually if your a dj or a really bad sound mixer, the volume at the start of the gig and the end will be different, where the sound is CONSTNATLY climbing.

dj's are bad at this usually because they don't get a wedge to hear the volume or sound of the music, and have to crank the whole club's volume if they are deaf. which they are. they're a dj.

inversly, if you were in a super quiet location, your threshold of hearing would shift down soooo low, you'd hear yuor own blood moving through yuor body, and some people that makes them feel a little sick to have yuor hearing get that sensative.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

17-11-2007 15:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » What type of earplugs should I get?