i know its not andy c, robotiacly perfect

thanx to andy from www.planetdnb.com for the hostage
02-01-2004 20:10
Contradiction Contradiction is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-119.jpg

Registration Date: 29-09-2003

downloading

but why oooh why do just typ the titles? not all people recognize all the tunes just by the title... (not even me Big Grin )

__

02-01-2004 20:42
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Downloading too

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

02-01-2004 20:51 Homepage of Surya
Whizz
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 07-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hmm, no andy C indeed Frown

Not to disencourage you or anything but this is not a good mix ...

Instead of trying to put as much tunes as you do in to the mix you should focus more on really making the transition between tunes go smoothly. Your beatmatching skills and understanding of the structure of tunes are not good enough to mix as many tracks in an hour as you do. It all sounds very sloppy. So, imo you should practice simple beatmatching more (practice practice PRACTICE !!) before you can start thinking about things like putting teasers in a mix.

Beside the technique there's something else wrong with your mix... It doesn't have a story. Maybe it's because of the poor mixing but, there's really no flow in this mix. Just sounds like tune after tune after tune Frown

No, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing you or anything 'cause, trust me on this, we've all been there Wink I think you should get a certain level before you start spreading mixes around the internet or even think about spinning on dnb-nights. But, no harm done, just get back in your room and start practising ! Bigup

Greetz

Whizz

PS: since when have you been spinning 'cause some of these tunes are pretty old Confused

__

02-01-2004 20:51 Homepage of Whizz
overkill

Registration Date: 02-01-2004

cheers for being honest
i hear what your sayin, and your right i do need to pracitse alot more.. it was a totaly off the cuff mix, if id thought it thru and pre planned shit id have banged it at the start chilled it thru the middle and larged it again to end on a high note... i realise i should have put the last 2 tunes in the middle somewhere

if you want to hand out any tips or advice, it would be much appreciated!! Bigup

i hardly get any pracite really, my mate has had my mixer for the last god knows how long. i really need to get it back!!

ive been mixing for about 2yrs 9 months, i like old tunes and i like new tunes... its all good, im not a promo obsessive

big up!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by overkill: 02-01-2004 21:08.

02-01-2004 20:58
overkill

quote:
Originally posted by Contradiction
downloading

but why oooh why do just typ the titles? not all people recognize all the tunes just by the title... (not even me Big Grin )

yo, what tunes are you unsure of?
02-01-2004 20:59
Whizz
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by overkill
cheers for being honest
i hear what your sayin, and your right i do need to pracitse alot more.. it was a totaly off the cuff mix, if id thought it thru and pre planned shit id have banged it at the start chilled it thru the middle and larged it again to end on a high note... i realise i should have put the last 2 tunes in the middle somewhere

if you want to hand out any tips or advice, it would be much appreciated!! Bigup

i hardly get any pracite really, my mate has had my mixer for the last god knows how long. i really need to get it back!!

ive been mixing for about 2yrs 9 months, i like old tunes and i like new tunes... its all good, im not a promo obsessive

big up!!

No problem man Bigup

But I got to say, if you've been spinning for 2 years and 9 months there's definitely something wrong with the frequency of practising going on Huh

Anyway, one of the most important steps I think in any dnb-dj's learning process is the full comprehension of tunes! Almost every tune (like 95 % of 'em) has a very logic build up. I like to see it as a story consisting of paragraphs and sentences.

First paragraph = build up
Second paragraph = break
Third paragraph = drop and middle piece
Fourth paragraph = break
etc etc etc

Now, everyone of these paragraphs will be build-up using sentences of 16 measures (dutch = maten). 1 measure in DnB is 4 counts. This may sound to theoretic and in fact it is. It's not necessery for you to start counting measures, but it is important for you to keep track of the sentences. In the beginning of every sentence a new element will be brought up in to the song and at the end of the sentence there sometimes is a mini-break (just 1 measure of only even 2 counts where there's no drumz). This way you can recognize these sentences.

Since dnb tunes are build up around this structure it's necessary to use it while mixing. You can now how many sentences are left in a tune before the next break or before the end of a tune by having a lot of tune knowledge (having played the track a number of times helps) or just by actually looking at the vinyl. You can recognise breakz on vinyl. But you probably already know this. Know, there's to things you can do:

1) plan you mix so that the two tunes both simultaniously have a break, in which you can fade out one of 'em

or

2) just mix both tunes in a normal fashion (both making sure both tunes start with a sentence at the same time !)

I tend to switch between these to methods. I find that this keeps the mix flowing the most Bigup

I hope I've been of some help!

Greetz

Whizz

__

02-01-2004 21:28 Homepage of Whizz
Cool Steppa

hehe teacher Whizz Big Grin

no really this is the basics, once you understand (and off course can realise) what he's saying, you're a lot further

__

03-01-2004 10:03
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Not the best mixing I've heard indeed, but some nice choons

Keep up the work, I'm sure you'll get there!

Too bad about the ugly soundquality Frown

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

03-01-2004 11:33 Homepage of Surya
overkill

aye a fair review

i know what he's saying, but i got bored of doing that every time i mixed. i know the tunes kind of rises and falls at the beginning and end of the pattern, and there are like smaller ones in between etc. but i like to play around with it, anyone can do what your saying... i try to be a bit different, maybe its not such a good idea then, lol.
some of the time i wait for the next rise after the main one, i dont count the beats but its something like 32 or 64 beats after. and i put the next tune in there..

i dunno i kinda like doing that more so it doesnt all sound so uniformed

some mixes i do the intro, soem i do bass together and some like the 'peace love + unity -> pacman' i do a faster transitions... i like to vary my mixes up a little

neo -> no reality

no reality ends too soon for neo, and what your saying is exactly right for that mix i agree it would have sounded smoother if they'd have ened together. but i wanted time to get another tune into the mix before neo dropped again...

i can double drop tunes as well when i put my mind to it

some of my mixes are a little rough, cos i tried to go for too much maybe. but at home im like, fuck it.. open that fader and ride that mix like a 2 dollar whore! Big Grin

when i get my mixer back ill do a mix that might be more to your liking, tho i havent bought any new tunes in a little while Cry

what tips can anyone give me for recording with a higher sound quality?
seriously i dunno, i got soundforge... i record the mix.. i save it with the settings it already has set up. cos to be honest i dont understand kbps's or whatever, im not most pc literate person in the world Cool
03-01-2004 15:48
Whizz
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Off course you can try different things!! What I layed out here are the basic principles. But you got to master these before you can progress, which you don't. You gotta learn to beatmatch first man, that's all Bigup

__

03-01-2004 15:51 Homepage of Whizz
overkill

less larging it and more gettin it spot on Big Grin

cheers for all the comments and everything Bigup
03-01-2004 18:13
Cool Steppa

finally listened to it

i must say Whizz's comments prepared me for the worse.
imho you are trying to mix too fast, putting too amny tunes in it. maybe you think people like that from a dj? well i prefer slower mixes (and especially long ones Smile ) and tighter mixes than yours.
another thing; you've got to put more attention to your tracklist! for me a dj stands or falls whit his selection, not with his skills... i prefer a great selector in stead of a mean scratching/juggling machine...
try to build up your mix.
and the beatmatching wasn't that bad but you just have to mix slower, prelisten longer, be sure of your pitchrate. it seems you have to adjust just too much in the. try to have the most sorted out before put it in...

just my 2 p

anyway keep doing your stuff

__

03-01-2004 19:04
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJ Mixes » Overkill - Dec Mix