drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Just how good is Cubase 4?
Go to the bottom of this page Just how good is Cubase 4?
Author
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Ok, basically i have now left the school where i had my cubase sx3 projects i would quite like to finish, going in, re-archiving them (because samples are all over the place on that hard drive due to my shite organisation) and all that isnt a problem...

Also I just got a new pc running windows vista and am considering getting cubase 4. my questions are:

- is cubase 4 good enough to be worth the money?

- will there be any compatability problems with loading cubase sx3 files onto cubase 4?

- seeing as how most of my vsts wouldnt be installed straight away will any synth settings etc be lost when cubase 4 cant find the synth or plugin i used? (i would be installing all the vsts and inserts etc later on)

- will vista or cubase 4 simply not run any of the plugins etc that worked fine on windows xp, or are they a universal file type that only requires a compatible sequencer to work?

i think thats everything, cheers for any help you can give me Smile

hope to get some new tunes up once i get this DAW rollin Big Grin

__
My Myspace
02-11-2007 23:13
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

get it, it rocks !

Smile

seriously tho, it's well worth the money, certainly if you choose to purchase the cubase studio edition, which has a couple of surround mixing and mastering features not implemented but does all the rest just as well as cubase itself

there's none or close to no compatibility issues between sx3 & 4 (meaning that you can open all cubase sx3 files in C4, it will ask if you'd like to convert into a C4-file, if you choose to do so, you will not be able to open it again in CSX3 though ...)

Normally with every daw, if synths and plugins are organised and installed the same way as on a previous daw it should have no problem loading plugin settings etc. this however is not really something you should count on, since the installment of all those plugins on a different daw mostly runs in another order or is organised differently, best is to bounce those tracks and have the audio files.
if you take care whilst installing it all, it should pose no problem nevertheless

can't comment on the vista issue

i'd say fuck vista, get your winxp back if it doesn't work

in short: yes, go buy cubase 4 !

__
It's a spiritual thing !

03-11-2007 12:46
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Whatever you do, keep backups from those files before converting them in any way.
I agree with -J- on the Vista versus XP stuff. Vista just eats resources for a fancy look. I'm not a cubase user, so I can't help you with your choice.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
03-11-2007 12:53 Homepage of BattleDrone
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

i agree with both of you guys about vista, im tryin to get xp installed on this system cos i think its way better, cept vista doesnt like xp bein installed after itself so its a relly long and boring process to dual boot it with vista :p

about the plugin bit, basically my worry is that cubase 4 will go:

*I open the cubase sx3 project file on cubase 4, without having the plugins i used on that seperate DAW on my new DAW, intending to organise and install them on cubase 4 as soon as the 30 or so projects are updated to cubase 4 format*

1) Cubase: Dude these plugins are missing: *really long list*'

2) (I ignore for now, with cubase sx3 it would keep the plugin data settings til i opened the file on a computer with the plugins on, or installed the requested plugins. i would assume cubase 4 is the same)

3) Cubase: 'Would you like to update this sx3 file to a Cubase 4 format?'

4) (i choose yes)

5) Cubase: *deletes the settings i had for the plugins i intend to install at a later date while updating to the Cubase 4 format* (btw this is BAD cos i usually really mess with settings on vsts and it would take forever to try n find em again)

Any idea if thats likely to happen?

__
My Myspace

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by PLaGuE CeLL: 03-11-2007 14:12.

03-11-2007 14:06
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

www.cubase.net/

the new 4.1 version is fully compatible with vista

cubase sx3 tracks can be imported

i use it on vista32, xp and xp64, and it all runs very well... Big Grin

edit: don't buy the studio edition!!! you will not be able to record your vst's internally (free routing, like in ableton Live) and some oher usefull options... check out the link inthe begin of my post

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 03-11-2007 21:30.

03-11-2007 21:25
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Just how good is Cubase 4?