drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Weird bass tones on Junglist...
Go to the bottom of this page Weird bass tones on Junglist...
Author
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Hi people,
I Just finished the bassline on my newest tune and theres something that doesnt sound right.

Basically, the synth preset that i tweaked on junglist seems to have 2 pitched in it. A low pitch (which is the same note as i play on my keyboard) and a higher pitch (which is a 5th above the played note).

The wierd thing about it is the higher pitch in the bass seems to be the more bassy one e.g. when i play the bassline on most speakers the main note you can hear is the one that is a 5th above the desired note in the scale. So when my bassline stars it sorta sounds 5 semi-tones higher then it actually is. So when it changes key it just sounds wrong. (the 5th also note sounds higher on some pitches than others)

But when i play this through my standard in-ear headphones the bass sounds in the right key (I gues thiis is because the bassy 5th notes are less dominant because the headphones have hardly any bass.

I tried eliminating one of the 2 oscilators on junglist but it still sounded the same, and now i have resampled the bassline to audio anyway. So what do i do to try eliminate some of those higher tones without killing the bass??

Hope that wasnt too confusing Tongue

SaFe

__
Art For Your Ears...
07-10-2007 01:55
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I have noticed with sub basses that they are only usable within a very small range of notes. When you leave this range they sound slightly off tone.
I see some different options for this:
- use another bass sound Big Grin
- change the sound so that the OSC causing the fifth up is no longer dominant (lower volume) as I guess the bass requires this tension to sound right;
- try to EQ the bass different so that the higher note doesn't get so much room.

I guess there are people on here that could explain this better (Halph, Cynik, Chron, ...) but this is what I would do.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
07-10-2007 10:15 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

shit hole.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

08-10-2007 06:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Thanks Halph, that pretty much sums it all up.
Now for some more technical approach.... Roll Eyes

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
08-10-2007 09:40 Homepage of BattleDrone
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

go back to junglist, eliminate any second oscillator that might cause the fifth on top, for bass sounds in general, certainly in the sub range, that's a very bad idea, cause you're already clustering what afterwards you still have to blend with bassdrums etc.

well you can use any sound you want huh, but i'd kill the fifth man, cool effect on higher pitched sounds, bad idea on bass

__
It's a spiritual thing !

08-10-2007 11:41
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

high pass your bass at around 100hz and layer a single mono sine wave without any effects underneath it

__
MySpace
08-10-2007 12:07 Homepage of Rudeone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

5th note, or 5 semi tones up? cuz the 5th dominant on a bassline, is fucked up. you don't get that evil tone you want in dnb, you get a really strong sound. like the song from 2001: a space oddosey, all of thoes notes are 5ths, it's used in relgious music, you want to use note intervals of 2nd 4th because these are minor and have a more SINISTER tone. than the glorious and wonderful 5th. praise be it. also when yuo go below the note, a 3rd is better than a second.

it's fun you mention the word dominantfor the 5th.

the 5th note in the scale is called the dominant:/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant

quote:
In music theory, the dominant or dominant note (second most important) of a key is that which is a perfect fifth above the tonic; in just intonation the note whose pitch is 1.5 times the frequency of the tonic note's pitch and in twelve tone equal temperament is 7 semitones or 700 cents above the tonic. This pitch can also be called the third harmonic of the harmonic series. The dominant of a church mode was the tenor or reciting tone of psalm tones. The dominant is also the diatonic function of the dominant note and chord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominant_%28music%29

the tonic is the first note.

yea see, church music. :/ you want anti-church, so try the Arabic scale. it was banned by the church Big Grin

quote:
The Arabic scale in the key of C (C-Db-E-F-G-Ab-B or C-C#-E-F-G-G#-B):

The Arabic scale (in the key of E) was used in Nikolas Roubanis's Misirlou.

The Arabic scale is also used a lot in heavy metal guitar solos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_scale

but anyways, if it was 5 semi-tones up, it would be the sub-dominant, not entire that much differnece,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdominant

quote:
A cadential subdominant chord followed by a tonic chord (the chord of the key of the piece) produces the so-called "plagal" (or "Amen") cadence

it's the "-men" part of the amen chords.

power chords also uses these notes, but they include the 12th semi-tone, or the same note one octave higher. i would suggest not using anytihng BUT the octave higher, or lower, or the exact same, for basslines. it gives you a lot more freedom, exspecillay playing, but it makes it STRONG too. that's why the power chords in rock sound so storng, the 5th or 4th notes, AND the octave. so if you ar eonly playing one note, use what you got, but if you want to play more than one note, then use the octave. you'll get a simular effect.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 08-10-2007 16:04.

08-10-2007 15:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

I think its a 5th up,it was a guess really. But it does sound major. Not church major, but more bouncy. It goes nicely with my wobble bass.

But i basically fixed the problem now. I pitched up my whole bassline 1 semi tone, and now the note that was dominating the bass line isnt as obviouse.

__
Art For Your Ears...
08-10-2007 19:38
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Weird bass tones on Junglist...