drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Looking for Speakers
Go to the bottom of this page Looking for Speakers
Author
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

Hi there,
I am looking to get some new speakers for my setup. At the moment ive got some Creative 5.1 speakers but they have really lost thier quality in recent days.

What speakers would you guys reccomend for top quality, undistorted sound?

__
Art For Your Ears...
05-09-2007 15:15
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P22A/

__
MySpace
05-09-2007 16:10 Homepage of Rudeone
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Depends a bit on how much you want to spend, how big your room is, if you gut neighbours that get upset by deep basses etc...

I have some Yamaha active monitors with with 8" woofers and they do a good job, Cost 500-600€ though.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-09-2007 17:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Rudeone
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P22A/

Gaga

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

05-09-2007 20:40 Homepage of D2o
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

I was prolly looking to spend around £100-150 on the speakers. any ideas?

__
Art For Your Ears...
05-09-2007 23:46
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Depends a bit on how much you want to spend, how big your room is, if you gut neighbours that get upset by deep basses etc...

I have some Yamaha active monitors with with 8" woofers and they do a good job, Cost 500-600€ though.

omg, thoes are the pimpest. you find a pair that at least LOOK like that in every studio shot, i swear to god, here's a few pics i just randomly googled, first page.

they were originally ment as aux speakers for outside listening, but are great for mxing.. they are a bit bright, but a few layers of tissue help...... sub's help with them too, but not for mixing. they give great real world sound, that's why the subs don't help for mixing. sub's are always for creative/personal enjoyment. personal and professional opinion.

also, you can find tehm used, very cheap, on e-bay, they beena round since the 80's and used all over.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-09-2007 04:00.

06-09-2007 03:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:

omg, thoes are the pimpest. you find a pair that at least LOOK like that in every studio shot, i swear to god, here's a few pics i just randomly googled, first page.

they were originally ment as aux speakers for outside listening, but are great for mxing.. they are a bit bright, but a few layers of tissue help...... sub's help with them too, but not for mixing. they give great real world sound, that's why the subs don't help for mixing. sub's are always for creative/personal enjoyment. personal and professional opinion.

also, you can find tehm used, very cheap, on e-bay, they beena round since the 80's and used all over.

What do you do with the tissue? They are in deed very bright (hurts the ears when you are composing too long/too close).
In the first pic they are positioned wrong imo. The tweeters should be on the outside, not on the inside. I'm having a bit of problems with bass, there is too little, could be caused by the shape and size of the room. But I think the speakers are lacking bass alltogether.

__
06-09-2007 12:54 Homepage of BattleDrone
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Nebulizer
I was prolly looking to spend around £100-150 on the speakers. any ideas?

Edirol would be possible. Avoid Behringer, it's not that great, better save up some more and get another brand. My favourites are KRK Rokit series and Yamaha, but both are well over your price range. If your studio is rather small you might as well go for smaller speakers (=cheaper), 5" woofers are not bad at all either.

__
06-09-2007 12:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

just goto the sotre and ask to listen to them. pic ones that sound good, bring some of your own music ask if you can play that. pro songs not your songs.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

07-09-2007 23:25 Homepage of Halph-Price
Invent Invent is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

yeah 1/2 price is right.. GO LISTEN Tongue
09-09-2007 14:47 Homepage of Invent
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:

What do you do with the tissue? They are in deed very bright (hurts the ears when you are composing too long/too close).
In the first pic they are positioned wrong imo. The tweeters should be on the outside, not on the inside. I'm having a bit of problems with bass, there is too little, could be caused by the shape and size of the room. But I think the speakers are lacking bass alltogether.

2-ply over the white cones. to be honest, they are not suppose to have bass in them like a jungle rave. these are for MIXING. you don't hear much bass when mixing, you just need to be able to hear a bit of it, and that's enough. buy a sub-woofer if you want to "feel" the bass, but that's only .1 of your entire mix. so to have .1 of the mix cranked to 10 doesn't make sense to me. as long as you know it's there, you're cool. let the DJ push up the bass to fit to the mix. it's easier to add bass after, then it is to take out bass after.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 09-09-2007 18:59.

09-09-2007 18:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:

the ones you see in studio's are the original NS-10's which were indeed first produced as cheap speakers for home use, Bob Clearmountain (the guy who does mixes for the rolling stones, rod stewart, bruce springsteen ...) was the first to use them as nearfield monitors in a professional environment (with a lil 2layer tissue on the tweeter), and thus virtually "inventing" nearfield monitoring (before all the mixing and recording was done on huge westlake speaker systems - the ones you see mounted in the wall in +- every pro studio built before 1980)

when the nearfield monitoring rage came up, yamaha made a special 'studio' version of the same speaker, which was actually the same speaker but with the text written horizontally and the tweeter a bit adjusted so the need for the tissue was gone.

then a bit later they created reissues which sucked (and still suck) bigtime, and a version with built in preamplification (the active ones) which imo don't sound really good, and colorize your sound enormously.

nowadays NS-10's from the first period are a bit of a rarity and are searched and tracked down by producers/studios all around the world.

if you wanna buy speakers not too expensive and still honest in sound go for alesis M1, they're really honest, good sounding and don't tire your ears too fast.

__
It's a spiritual thing !

11-09-2007 14:49
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Looking for Speakers