drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Background noise with M-Audio 1010lt PCI sound card
Go to the bottom of this page Background noise with M-Audio 1010lt PCI sound card
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
(from PM, translated)
-----Original Message-----
Date: 20-08-2007 11:42
To: thechronic

yo,

I hear an irritating noise through my monitors that changes or gets worse when I open or close programs. The noise gets worse when I run programs. When I render to MP3 or WAV and then play the file the noise is gone.

What causes this and what can be done about it?

Spec:

INTEL Pentium dual 3.2 ghz processor
- Quiet case: desktop
- Passive powersuplies & VGA card
- Quiet DVD/RW
- Windows Pro X64
- S-ATA Harddisk

- sound card: m-audio 1010lt
- Monitors: krk rp 8

The noise you hear is causes by electromagnetic interference inside the PC case. When you put a heavy load on the computer (eg by opening / closing programs or by running heavy programs) several of the PC's components such as the CPU and north/south bridges start emitting more electromagnetic radiation. This is picked up by the sound card, either by parts on the sound card that are sensitive for electromagnetic radiation or by electrical noise which is passed through the PCI busses. This results in a square wave 'noise' that often changes in frequency and volume depending on the CPU / PCI bus load.

This is hard to eliminate inside a PC case, which is one of the reasons the best sound cards are external.

What you can do:
- put the sound card as far away from the CPU, graphics card and north/south bridges as possible. Best bet is to put it in the PCI slot at the bottom of the motherboard
- if this does not help, experiment by trying out all other available PCI slots
- 'shield' the sound card by putting sheets of cardboard wrapped with aluminium foil between the sound card and the other components. Wrap the aluminium foil with plastic foil to make sure the aluminium doesn't touch any of the internal components

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-08-2007 12:02 Homepage of thechronic
32skins 32skins is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

thank you very much!!
gonna try this, and let it know if it worked.
cheers

__

20-08-2007 12:54 Homepage of 32skins
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

ok;

i could remove my soundcard but i cant put it back in:s
do you have to push it very hard in the slot?
please help Knownothing

__

20-08-2007 14:02 Homepage of 32skins
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yes i did itSmile
i had to push harder

__

20-08-2007 14:15 Homepage of 32skins
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

So how does it sound now?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
20-08-2007 15:04 Homepage of thechronic
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

sounds like the chron is right,but ill throw my two cents in too.if your still gettin noise maybe you could try to clean your power source.get a rack conditioner or a monster power supply.i dunno maybe that will help eliminate SOME of the noise.mostly when you record .....
20-08-2007 15:57 Homepage of demolitionkid
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

nope, it still is there, i even made the shield Frown
i think my power source is clean but i'll try that too.
what is a rack conditioner?
cheers

__

20-08-2007 21:03 Homepage of 32skins
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

A power conditioner is a device that 'cleans up' the power that enters your equipment. See here for some examples.

Do you have other cards plugged into other PCI slots?

It could also be a grounding problem. Is all equipment that is attached to your computer grounded and coming from the same power outlet?

Easiest way to check this is to plug your PC and monitors in the same (properly grounded!) power socket using a three-way power splitter, and unplug all the power cables from your other PC stuff (monitor, printer, USB thingies etc).

__
21-08-2007 11:37 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Background noise with M-Audio 1010lt PCI sound card