drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » I like wishy washy
Go to the bottom of this page I like wishy washy
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I find it kinda weird myself, but when I hear tracks on e.g. myspace which are in a low quality I kinda like the "wishy washy" effect going on in the high end of the spectrum.

Am I weird or what? Doped Doped Doped

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-07-2007 13:31 Homepage of BattleDrone
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I've noticed this in some CD's too, but I supposed it was caused by using eg hihat samples that originated from MP3s.

This is a very particular type of distortion, it has a certain character but can't be compared to any of the 'old school' distortions. Try explaining the effect to a producer from the nineties, wouldn't have a clue what you're on about Big Grin

I do like the term 'wishy-washy' hehe ROFL

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
22-07-2007 13:48 Homepage of thechronic
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Logic, Spectral gate <3. Can give a similar kinda wierdness to the high end.

I love that kinda wierdness too. Only in small doses tho, would get kinda annoying if it was useed all the time.
22-07-2007 14:09
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I do like the term 'wishy-washy' hehe ROFL

Cool edit has a filter with this name and it does something similar, but controlled by an lfo. In these mp3´s it kinda forms on the sound itself because of heavy data reduction, giving it just that extra raw touch.

When some track from e.g. bbc radio (typically Grooverider) is featured, it always has this effect. Respect!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-07-2007 15:23 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

bit distortion has been popular since the birth of hip hop, the AKAI sampler add's a very hard 10 bit distortion, that gives a brightness to samples from Vinyl, that can be dull.

it's a downsampling distortion. mp3's change in what they downsmaplingto though, so it's hard to place exactly what it's set at. but easy to emulate. i use downsampling in every track i do probably.

there is Sonic Destructor, which is good, E-Phnoic LOFI, which i find myself using more, and VCS-Reducer2.

all of them good, but e-phonic and Reducer are both free, and reducer has 3 interpolation algorithms to help keep the note and have the effect of lo-fi. this one probably emulates MP3 effects the most.

Sonic Destructor does Vinyl and a few otehr distortions sounds.

E-Phonic LOFI does some weird sample buffering and sound shaper, but with the randomize you cn get some unique grit.

basicly get one of these distoritons rolling with a lot fo high end, adn then mix the dry/wet and you get this clear sound,w ith a hint of distortion.

this technique of having distoriton int he background liek that has been used since Mo Town as a way fo bringing vocal presence up. just not with downsample distoriton. Big Grin

oh you wanna talk Lo-Fi, you talk to the Price.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 22-07-2007 19:51.

22-07-2007 19:48 Homepage of Halph-Price
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

it sounds like a filter and a phase effect to me.
i like the sound on the hats, but not the rest.
Knownothing

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
27-07-2007 19:27
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

there is phasing from the downsampling. but this is why it's such a weird distortion, it's not like most where they will bring out harmonics, it's actually creating false harmonics, called aliasing.

it's usually seen as a unwanted effect, but so is distortion and phasing. i use it as much if not mroe than distortion in my tracks. i have always had a love for that sound for years, and have been using it in as many applications as possible.

oh yea, there's also another one, the only spot i have seen it used was the NIN remix of CLoser for the SE7EN sound track, the opening song.

of the digital noise remover, like the one you find in Cool Pro/Adobe Audition. if you use it with a long spectral delay, or with a high enough threshold, you get a swishing sparkle sound. that's just garbage made from stardust.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 27-07-2007 20:53.

27-07-2007 20:51 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » I like wishy washy