drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Are the voting questions fair?
Go to the bottom of this page Are the voting questions fair?
Author
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I don't know how others feel but I'm a little concerned with the voting system on this website. There seems to be over-emphasis on the production side of things. Very often I find myself having to give high scores to tracks I don't really like because the production quality is very good. Conversly, I have to give lower marks to better tracks because the production quality isn't quite spot-on. Unfortunately, this would give the misleading impression that I actually preferred the track I liked the least! Frown

It begs the question; what are the percentages supposed to tell us exactly?

Surely the voting system should have more emphasis on how much you actually like a track rather than how good the levels are, etc?

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Tomos: 09-07-2007 21:19.

09-07-2007 21:16 Homepage of Tomos
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

i kinda know what you mean

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
09-07-2007 23:35
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Whether you like something or you don't is maximum subjective, which can't be said for quality of craftsmanship. You may not like AK74 rifle, but you must recognize the quality of production.

The point is - you can't judge style or type, you can judge the effort and the knowledge. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-07-2007 03:40 Homepage of Muad'Dib
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib

The point is - you can't judge style or type, you can judge the effort and the knowledge. Smile

well for instance if im listening to a track and WOW LISTEN TO THOSE DRUMS!!!!!!BUT WAIT????!?!??!?!?!?THE SYNTHS SUCK!!!!!!then what do you do?thats the only real problem with the voting system i see,people shoud not have there synths and drums in the same frickkin question Big Grin
10-07-2007 06:57 Homepage of demolitionkid
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

This site is supposed to tell you how good the track you made is, you can tell them how much you like it in the comments.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-07-2007 07:21 Homepage of Surya
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by demolitionkid
quote:

well for instance if im listening to a track and WOW LISTEN TO THOSE DRUMS!!!!!!BUT WAIT????!?!??!?!?!?THE SYNTHS SUCK!!!!!!then what do you do?thats the only real problem with the voting system i see,people shoud not have there synths and drums in the same frickkin question Big Grin

I guess you're right for that. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
10-07-2007 11:40 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Whether you like something or you don't is maximum subjective, which can't be said for quality of craftsmanship. You may not like AK74 rifle, but you must recognize the quality of production.

I see what you're saying but I actually take the other view - it's the subjective viewpoints which have more value. You can't really take a viewpoint on production quality - it's either good or it isn't. For instance, no one can argue that Britney Spears's music is produced badly. From a production point of view, it's near pefection. Which is why asking questions about production quality isn't actually that helpful because there isn't much room for a personal opinion. Stunningly well-produced tracks can be stunningly awful to listen to.

The point I'm trying to make is simply that the voting system should be geared more towards answering the question, "Do the listeners actually like the track?". Yes, it's subjective but then again, music is subjective. We listen to music because we like it, we buy music (well, sometimes!) because we like it. It's the driving force behind our love for music and I think the voting system on this website should reflect that.

__
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Tomos: 10-07-2007 20:28.

10-07-2007 20:27 Homepage of Tomos
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
There seems to be over-emphasis on the production side of things.

Knownothing

from the front page -

Welcome to drumnbass.be!

This site is dedicated to everyone involved in producing drum and bass.
10-07-2007 21:41
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI
quote:
There seems to be over-emphasis on the production side of things.

Knownothing

from the front page -

Welcome to drumnbass.be!

This site is dedicated to everyone involved in producing drum and bass.

I know what it says on the homepage Big Grin but I still think the voting should be more geared towards answering the question, "Do the listeners actually like the track", as opposed to questions on levels, frequency, balance, etc.

__
11-07-2007 18:27 Homepage of Tomos
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
I don't know how others feel but I'm a little concerned with the voting system on this website. There seems to be over-emphasis on the production side of things.

There is absolutely no over-emphasis of the production side. The first question asks your subjective opinion, and this counts for 50% of the total value for a standard member vote.

quote:
Very often I find myself having to give high scores to tracks I don't really like because the production quality is very good. Conversly, I have to give lower marks to better tracks because the production quality isn't quite spot-on. Unfortunately, this would give the misleading impression that I actually preferred the track I liked the least! Frown

no, because you would have given a lower vote to the first question. The first question has by far the most weight of all the questions. It has the same weight as all the other questions combined.

The voting simple is not the simple calculation you seem to think it is. It is carefully constructed to give the fairest possible representation of all the votes that have been cast for a song. Every question has a specific weight depending on how important that question is for the quality of the track.

quote:
It begs the question; what are the percentages supposed to tell us exactly?

It's a numerical representation of the amount of stars that is given for a track. People were complaining that they wanted more detail than just 5 stars, so now they can see the raw numbers Tongue

quote:
Surely the voting system should have more emphasis on how much you actually like a track rather than how good the levels are, etc?

It already has a shitload of emphasis on how much you like the track.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
11-07-2007 21:25 Homepage of thechronic
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Can you type the percentages of value here, or point them to a place where they can read them, Chron?

__

-Bene Gesserit
12-07-2007 12:40 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
The voting simple is not the simple calculation you seem to think it is. It is carefully constructed to give the fairest possible representation of all the votes that have been cast for a song. Every question has a specific weight depending on how important that question is for the quality of the track.

Ahhh, I see. I hadn't realised that Chronic! Shocked Perhaps it should be made clear somewhere because a few people, such as myself, have no idea about this.

My next question is: can you tell us the weights of each question?

quote:
It's a numerical representation of the amount of stars that is given for a track. People were complaining that they wanted more detail than just 5 stars, so now they can see the raw numbers Tongue

Yes, giving people raw numbers is much better. Nice one.

One last question: is it possible to be give the percentages/scores for each question? This would let the producer know if people consistently gave bad votes for a particular question, and good scores on others.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Tomos: 12-07-2007 18:20.

12-07-2007 18:19 Homepage of Tomos
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Ahhh, I see. I hadn't realised that Chronic! Shocked Perhaps it should be made clear somewhere because a few people, such as myself, have no idea about this.

There is a thread about it somewhere. Maybe I can make a new one 'How the voting system works' Big Grin

quote:
My next question is: can you tell us the weights of each question?

Voting system

quote:
One last question: is it possible to be give the percentages/scores for each question? This would let the producer know if people consistently gave bad votes for a particular question, and good scores on others.

Yes that is possible and is planned for the future. Will be a while though, couple of months probably

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-07-2007 20:09 Homepage of thechronic
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
There is a thread about it somewhere. Maybe I can make a new one 'How the voting system works' Big Grin

Sounds like a great idea! Smile

quote:

quote:
Yes that is possible and is planned for the future. Will be a while though, couple of months probably

That's great. Bigup That'll really give us extra insights into the voting results and indicate 'problem areas' in a track where people generally give poor scores, and good areas where people generally vote higher.

Thanks also for the link to the thread on the scoring percentages. Big Grin

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Tomos: 12-07-2007 23:18.

12-07-2007 23:18 Homepage of Tomos
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

maybe if we could see exactly what they voted for and yada yada it would be better than just a %age game.4/5 stars or 98% doesnt tell us what the random guest thought at that moment.plzzzz separate the DRUMS FROM THE SYNTHS Big Grin Big Grin
20-07-2007 04:55 Homepage of demolitionkid
hardplnsdrftr hardplnsdrftr is a male
Streetcleaner

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

This site has the best voting methods of any I have seen.

__
"Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer."
Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/hardplainsdrifter
20-07-2007 07:53 Homepage of hardplnsdrftr
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

quote:
Originally posted by demolitionkid
plzzzz separate the DRUMS FROM THE SYNTHS Big Grin Big Grin

AGREED.
that is the best suggestion on voting i have yet heard.
the drums n synths are soooo different.
maybe a vote for quality of bass work is deserved too.
one each for drums n bass Big Grin

although the voting sytstem here is very good, we always strive for better!
"we seek perfection, resistance is futile"

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
20-07-2007 15:20
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

interesting. but at least having the list can help people give different commetns. if they are unsure what to review with they can go through the list and then have a good idea of what to crtique. but a graph of what was voted for would hlep. it would be a report card that could show people what they need to fix. if every track came back saying they have great feel but bad stero imagin, then they'd be more mindful.

you have everything there, and i am surprised you'd goto allt he trouble to amke individual votes and note have a display/readout after.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 02-08-2007 23:54.

02-08-2007 23:50 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

yeh what he said

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
03-08-2007 00:17 Homepage of cynik
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

it's planned Big Grin

I only have a few days off this month, will be used mainly for sleeping Sleep

summertime is always difficult for me, I'm away most of the time, sleeping in hotels and driving around belgium and holland.

You know that when I get some free time I tend to whip up new features for the site, just be patient Big Grin

__
03-08-2007 10:36 Homepage of thechronic
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » Are the voting questions fair?