drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Tips for better PC performance.
Go to the bottom of this page Tips for better PC performance.
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Optimize playback / Improve performance
1. Defragment your system hard drive often. This will make for smoother playback and reduced latency.
2. If you only have 1 hard drive, partition it into 2 drives: 1 for the operating system and programs, and one strictly for audio files.
3. Be wary of defragmenting drives that contain strictly audio files. You may actually experience a drop in performance when these files are defragmented. However, it is a good idea to defragment the drive that contains the operating system.
4. You can greatly improve your DAW system by adding another hard drive that is used solely for audio files.
5. By default, Windows 2000/XP logs the I/O traffic of your hard drive. It doesn't do anything except use up system resources. To disable it, go to the run menu and type diskperf -n and hit enter.(Note that there is a space before the minus sign).

http://www.musicxp.net/

- tunning tips http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-07-2007 00:28 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

If I may add to this:

when using XP or Vista... switch of all fancy shit to prevent glitches when you open a window or something. The fewer visual shit, the better.
Add extra memory for performance boost.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-07-2007 10:56 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

disable the windows recovery too. it can save virus that will affect you forever. and it takes up memory, and it eats up preformance. have one saved from wheny uo install and that's all you need.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-07-2007 16:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
If I may add to this:

when using XP or Vista... switch of all fancy shit to prevent glitches when you open a window or something. The fewer visual shit, the better.
Add extra memory for performance boost.

yeh - bout the memory, people tell me that getting 4 gigs of memory dont really make a difference compared with 2. is that right with music?

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
01-07-2007 18:05 Homepage of Shinyuri
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

by memory do you mean Random Access Memory? (RAM)
Xp i don't think it detects more than a few gigs of ram.

but ram is one of the lesser noticable upgrades. but you'll notice it with recording more. it determins how many tracks for how long.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-07-2007 19:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I believe it is not worthwhile to have more than 3GB of memory on a Windows XP system.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
01-07-2007 20:17 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I believe it is not worthwhile to have more than 3GB of memory on a Windows XP system.

ts

reminds me of once bill gates said, circa '88

"I believe 640k will be enough memory for everyone"

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
01-07-2007 21:01 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

he was right. most of the memory you use now is filled with pictures and music. most programs, given enough optomizations, can be condensed to only a few lines.

check out the preview for Spore the game. he talks about the concept of programming and how it use to be self-generating code, comapred to info packed.

most programs are made to not be self-generating, but if they were yuo could run it off a palm pilot. it runs one line, builds another and stores it inr am and then it excutes builds anotehr line adn builds it in ram.

that's what they use to do, now t's just a big block of lines to run adn it goes through them all. it frees up ram for graphics and sound. not so rediculious. but anyways.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

01-07-2007 21:11 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

youre talking nonsense

take reaktor, it has zero graphics and still manages to take lots of ram without anything loaded in it

__
01-07-2007 21:55 Homepage of cynik
Paracyte Paracyte is a male
Crazy Bouncin Sinusoid

images/avatars/avatar-2331.jpg

Registration Date: 07-12-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

actually this topic is great Smile

__
My Soundcloud
02-07-2007 01:17
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Shinyuri

yeh - bout the memory, people tell me that getting 4 gigs of memory dont really make a difference compared with 2. is that right with music?

From 4 gigs and up you should go for a 64 bit OS (as a 32 bit OS can't handle more than 4 gigs of ram), which is a nono if you want to run commercial software. When I said that I was pointing at people who are still running at less that 1GB of RAM. If you go from let's say 512MB to 1GB the difference is huge. If you go from 2 to 4GB you'll hardly notice it unless you got 27 firewalls 38 antivirus progs and all kinds of other TSR shit (located on the right side of your taskbar, resident in memory) running. So here's another piece of advice. Avoid al kinds of messengers, Skypes, ... to be constantly loaded on your machine. They'll communicate over the web and eat memory and CPU while you need it.

Run a Windows Process analyser and chuck some shit out, but beware, if you kick out too much you might damage your windows environment. handle with care link to a Windows Process analyser use at own risk.

3GB of ram would still do fine, although it is a weird amount of memory (multiples of 2 work best), but I'd not go for more than 2 right now. If you can't run your shit in that mem you need a fatter CPU (or bunch of CPU's today).

You could also lower some rendering options in your DAW or some VSTi's while composing and switch them back to normal when rendering a final mp3/wav from your track. But this is very DAW dependant and you'll need to check what can/can't be done yourself.

A lot of the excesive memory usage nowadays is caused by Windows needing tons of stuff to be preloaded and the other programs all needing a shitload of DLL's (or some frameworks) which will all be put fully in memory, even if you need a single instruction from a DLL.

@halph price: No I was not talking about Random Acces Memory here, I ment punched card storage Rasta

__
02-07-2007 09:37 Homepage of BattleDrone
Shinyuri Shinyuri is a male
myspace.com/shinyuribeats

images/avatars/avatar-2276.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

nice one, so its not really worth the extra cash then to fork out on more memory. yeh so about that bit with getting two sticks which are the same. i have one which is 512 and the other which is 2gig. should i just chuck the 512 or keep it in there? whats gonna b fastest. btw they are not the same make.

__
www.myspace.com/shinyuribeats

revel in the crapness of the website and then hit the add button... go on, do it, u know u wanna
02-07-2007 13:47 Homepage of Shinyuri
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

You could experiment with both, but that can cause nasty crashes. I'dd suggest to just use 2Gig. If 2,5 doesn't work.

__
02-07-2007 14:43 Homepage of BattleDrone
@1$-)
unregistered
switch all the windows sound scheme off, no desktop picture, turn all the graphics options off, set the processor scheduling to backround services (asio runs in the backround i think youll find) etc etc etc etc
02-07-2007 19:33
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
youre talking nonsense

take reaktor, it has zero graphics and still manages to take lots of ram without anything loaded in it

I am not going to argue about reaktor. i have only used reaktor 5, so i assume that reaktor is the earlier text based verson? for commodor or atari, or something...

but if you have only one hard drive, teh best investment you can get is another hard drive.

one to run your OS (windows) and anotehr to run your music programs on. you can junk it full of games too if you want, it will help their preformance as well.

since the primary hard drive is constantly running to use your Windows, if you run anything else that one 'needle' has to move inbetween yuor OS program and your music program, and slows down preformance.

you'll notice an improvment right away with a second hard drive dedicated to music programs.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 03-07-2007 19:06.

03-07-2007 19:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by cynik
youre talking nonsense

I am not going to argue about reaktor. i have only used reaktor 5, so i assume that reaktor is the earlier text based verson? for commodor or atari, or something...

lol nice one.

ofcourse reaktor 5, not quite graphic intense innit? its the architecture of the programs themselves, to justify huge amounts of ram modules out there, the software must be pushed towards consuming more memory.

youre absolutely right about the second drive thing.

__
03-07-2007 19:13 Homepage of cynik
wTrouble wTrouble is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

There's heaps you can do...

The two hard drive thing Halph is talking about is good, but go one step better and make a dual boot machine - I've got one boot for DAW and one for all the other pish I sometimes use.

On the DAW boot, kill all the services you don't need (there's a lot) and do all the tweaks on xpmusic.net or whatever it's called

Admittedly, a raw, stripped down DAW can be a bit frustrating sometimes as you can't jump on the net or print etc, but its well worth it. No net, no need for antivirus or any other nonsense sucking cpu.

Then you can get into RAID and striping your hard drives, but that's a whole other story...

All the info is on the net, but I've got some guide documents kicking about if anybody wants them...

Peace
wT
09-11-2007 16:50
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

i want to add something about the RAM:

if you buy 1g of RAM and your motherboard supports dual channel memory mode, you can double your memory allocation reaction time...

so, if you are working with samplers that use RAM memory for "processing" the samples (like kontakt when activated), buy two pieces (R/DIMM's) of 512MB and put them in dual channel mode (check out your motherboard and cpu manual for support)

it's faster than 1 DIMM of 1GB in single channel mode.
09-11-2007 22:41
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Tips for better PC performance.