drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reaper » DAW Reaper, anyone tried this?
Go to the bottom of this page DAW Reaper, anyone tried this?
Author
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

It seems to be a really good DAW, I know some established producers who use it (including the new Hospital guy Echo Inada Tongue ). Going to have to try it out.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
01-08-2010 14:59 Homepage of Puzzle
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Yeah, because it's not about how creative and technically educated one is... it's about using the right DAW.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-08-2010 21:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

Helpfulness rating: 

Yes, but if your horse is crippled, it doesn't matter how skillful rider you are. You will still lose all the competitions.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
01-08-2010 22:20 Homepage of Puzzle
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

If you think of FL Studio as a crippled horse then that is up to you.
I don't agree though.

This discussion is pretty old (see this thread). Especially since version 9 FL is a full power DAW with everything you need to make good music at your service.

It's more important that you know how to deal with some techincal issues, which will pop up in ANY daw and that you show some creativity which has to come from you and not from the DAW you are using.

I'm looking forward to your first Reaper tune, it will surely set some new standards in quality now that you left the sloppy/shitty/childish FL studio behind you.

__
02-08-2010 11:16 Homepage of BattleDrone
goonybag goonybag is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 12-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

quote:
Originally posted by Battledrone
It's more important that you know how to deal with some techincal issues, which will pop up in ANY daw and that you show some creativity which has to come from you and not from the DAW you are using.

gotta agree there drone, at the end of the day, regardless of the DAW, you gotta know how to obtain your results. I only switched to Reaper as my new intel mac wont handle cubase sl3, which i was running on my old g4 powerbook. I had no issues with sl3 at all, loved it, but it crashes and plays up a lot running in Rosetta in the new macs, and i cant justify a new purchase of significance, so reaper was a purely a cashflow kinda decision, and for the way I produce I reckon it will be just fine.

Dont matter what DAW you use.

__
www.soundcloud.com/hyphae
02-08-2010 13:41 Homepage of goonybag
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by goonybag

It depends how you work really. If you work with a lot of audio then fl isn't the daw for you, and if you work mainly with midi then reaper's clunky piano roll probably isn't for you either. Although having said that reaper's piano roll has got a lot better, which is more than can be said for fl's audio editing capabilities.
03-08-2010 11:09
goonybag goonybag is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 12-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

quote:
Originally posted by selig
quote:
Originally posted by goonybag

It depends how you work really. If you work with a lot of audio then fl isn't the daw for you, and if you work mainly with midi then reaper's clunky piano roll probably isn't for you either. Although having said that reaper's piano roll has got a lot better, which is more than can be said for fl's audio editing capabilities.

hmm i mainly use midi, and see no problem no matter what the DAW. and i think if i mainly used audio there would be no problem either. I mean,be it a midi note controlling a soft synth, or drum sampler, or audio files, they all work on snapping to grid, as in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16ths or whatever, all can be controlled by velocity (or volume) and all can be sent to individual tracks for futther processing, all can be quantised or not, etc etc. to my way of thinking they are basically the same, just depends on how you want to work.

__
www.soundcloud.com/hyphae
03-08-2010 13:24 Homepage of goonybag
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

As far as I'm aware you cant even change the volume of an individual clip (without automation or adding more and more copies of the same sample) in fl because if you change the volume on one it changes the volume of all the clips, the same goes for pitching them up or down, reversing them, etc.. You also can't do really basic things like glue audio clips together, you can only quantize to grid, there's no per item effects, fading objects into each other is a pita, etc, etc.

I've been using fl since version 2 and I'm normally the first to defend it but it's hard to defend it's audio editing capabilities because, quite frankly, it's shit at it.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by selig: 03-08-2010 15:10.

03-08-2010 14:41
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by selig
As far as I'm aware you cant even change the volume of an individual clip (without automation or adding more and more copies of the same sample) in fl because if you change the volume on one it changes the volume of all the clips, the same goes for pitching them up or down, reversing them, etc.. You also can't do really basic things like glue audio clips together, you can only quantize to grid, there's no per item effects, fading objects into each other is a pita, etc, etc.

I've been using fl since version 2 and I'm normally the first to defend it but it's hard to defend it's audio editing capabilities because, quite frankly, it's shit at it.

Point, but I don't need those things. I never ever work with audioclips, I put everything in a sampler for total control. I work with audio 90% of the time, just very little midi stuff. But I know FL inside out and I don't have to ruin creativity by searching for a way to get things done.
The one thing I hate about most daws is looking at miniature waveforms in the song editor all the time.

__
03-08-2010 20:18 Homepage of BattleDrone
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I think most fl users don't work with audio, or use other daws, and that's why they think fl is just as good as the others and that it can do everything they can.

It's probably the reason they think you get more control with midi too. Wink

You can turn the waveforms off in reaper too. This is actually what appeals to me the most about reaper, the fact that you can customise it to your own needs, unlike fl which is gol's vision and if you don't like it you can lump it.
04-08-2010 10:51
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

In fact selig, all you have to do is "Make unique", just like with pattern clips: if you correct something, you correct it everywhere, if you want to make something different, you make unique.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
06-08-2010 09:20 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I believe I covered that when I said without making more and more copies of the same sample. If you work that way you end up with about 2,000 versions of the same kick drum in the audio clips part of the step sequencer.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by selig: 06-08-2010 12:41.

06-08-2010 10:50
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Yeah but it's not a difficult process or anything, and FL isn't loading the same sample multiple times either. I think this is more like a choice, rather than one being better than the other. FL works with smaller units that make up a bigger whole, whereas apparently Logic or ableton, or both, have one timeline where every note in fact is a unique unit.

But then again, I don't use FL to sample or something either, that's where I call in cool edit pro.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
07-08-2010 11:47 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

TBH how it handles the samples really is irrelevant, it's what you can do with them that counts; and this is where reaper wins hands down. I used to use editors in fl all the time (edison and soundforge) but I have no need to in reaper because I can do just about everything an editor can do in the time line.
09-08-2010 19:54
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
If you think of FL Studio as a crippled horse then that is up to you.
I don't agree though.

This discussion is pretty old (see this thread). Especially since version 9 FL is a full power DAW with everything you need to make good music at your service.

I'm looking forward to your first Reaper tune, it will surely set some new standards in quality now that you left the sloppy/shitty/childish FL studio behind you.

There was no need to attack me like that, I never referred to FL as the "crippled horse".

I was just going to try out Reaper to see if it fitted my needs (I don't usually try out DAWs if I think they might suck). Hope you get my point

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
11-08-2010 19:36 Homepage of Puzzle
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

quote:
Originally posted by Paracyte
Is it got ReWire ?

Drool

i also need that

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
04-03-2011 20:11 Homepage of chomp
chomp chomp is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1614.gif

Registration Date: 06-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

holy shit this run on mac os, ha haha, i'm gonna try it, it's boring too bootcamp each time i wanna produce with FL .... Roll Eyes

__
Devil soundcloud.com/machette Devil
04-03-2011 20:13 Homepage of chomp
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reaper » DAW Reaper, anyone tried this?